Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Unhappy The Ball Doesn't Know Any Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpills View Post
Thanks for the input. I agree that I need to get it weighed and get lighter weigh bars.

The real question is do you have an anti-sway device on the ball coupling?

Picture the ball being able to rotate 280 degrees with nothing to stop the pivot of your trailer.

The law of physics dictates whatever direction something is going in it will try it's darndest to continue unless equal force keeps it where you want it to go, like follow you and your HD truck.

Picture having to jab the brakes on a turn in the rain and woohoooo jacknife city, ergo use lighter bars and some anti sway device for yours and everyone elses safety.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Do you mean Andy from Inland RV?

Andy
Hey, you're near Irvine........

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Picture having to jab the brakes on a turn in the rain and woohoooo jacknife city,
No sway control device nor even a HAHA is going to save you from disaster when you do stupid things like this.

Safety is in the driver first.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Ford HD Hitch Reciver

I've decided to 'dial in' my Equalizer hitch setup, realizing my AS dealer just kind of threw it on and sent me on my way. During the inspection I was shown how my factory hitch receiver was 'sloppy.' Looks like the die tool the Ford factory used was too big and therefore the hitch bar moves around a bit within my receiver. Extra noise and motion over bumps.

I was told this is fairly common and easily fixed with adding welded shims to make for a proper fit. You hitch setup should not move around within your hitch receiver as mine does. Note that my Equalizer hitch insert was measured to be the correct 2-inch size.

If you are in the Bend area, I would highly recommend of visit to Jack at Advanced Northwest Welding. We pulled our truck/trailer right into his pull through shop and he completely 'dialed in' our Equalizer. Hopefully this will eliminate some of the 'floaty' feel on my front end. I'll report back.

Bill
2011 Ford F250 Diesel
2001 Flying Cloud 30
ShinyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
The Blue Ox hitch that I got with the trailer was loose, but the Reese hitch fit pretty tight.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote