Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic. Your advice has been really helpful! I guess we'll continue to scratch our heads while we absorb your comments and educate ourselves. Any additional opinions on this topic will be appreciated!

Titus
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
I have an '03 Navigator with the tow package and hooked up our 2006 25' Safari FB/SE using an equalizer hitch. Drove it six miles, turned around and went back to a 3/4 ton crew cab truck for towing. It looked good on paper, but didn't work out in real life
That kind of sums it up for you...straight from the horsey so to speak!
You may also take a look at this post I made a while back...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post313803

Bill
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
While many people believe strongly in the "wheelbase rule", there are many examples of shorter wheelbase vehicles towing longer trailers without sway problems.
Without a doubt Albert. There are many short wheelbased TV's and combinations that come to mind that are outstanding performers both in straight line stability, and in an emergency avoidance maneuvering. Towing dynamics is a complex subject and judging a combinations towing prowess based on one characteristic is rather pointless.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Obviously, folks can and do often do what they feel is right. I think there is a stronger case for following the wheelbase and 20% rules that have been discussed.

I always find it interesting at the wide difference between a Canadian tower and an American tower. Either we are way too gung ho or the Canadians are too soft, I haven't figured that one out yet, even after all these years, but I'm starting to think it's a bit of both.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Well I'll chime in here. I think that with the Navigator you will get passed on hills a lot. I have an F 250 with a 460 gas engine, while I can do 60-70 mph uphill, towing, I take a huge hit on mpg's while doing so. You will have to take it easy on long steep hills. Like catsandI said, it is based on an f 150. With a good hitch and brake contoller you will probably be ok with a 25, but you will feel more comfortible with a 23 or smaller. Ford has a pretty good product in general if you take the appropriate steps in outfitting your vehicle with the proper equipment for towing, transmission cooler and temp guage, weight distributing hitch, brake controller, and drive accordingly. The Navigator does have a short wheelbase so take that into account.

Just my .02
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Well I'll chime in here. I think that with the Navigator you will get passed on hills a lot. I have an F 250 with a 460 gas engine, while I can do 60-70 mph uphill, towing, I take a huge hit on mpg's while doing so. You will have to take it easy on long steep hills. Like catsandI said, it is based on an f 150. With a good hitch and brake contoller you will probably be ok with a 25, but you will feel more comfortible with a 23 or smaller. Ford has a pretty good product in general if you take the appropriate steps in outfitting your vehicle with the proper equipment for towing, transmission cooler and temp guage, weight distributing hitch, brake controller, and drive accordingly. The Navigator does have a short wheelbase so take that into account.

Just my .02
Hi, once again, I will have to disagree. I have maintained speeds of 55 to 60 MPH up hills with my Navigator versus 60 to 70 MPH for your 460 V-8 F-250 towing a much lighter 17' trailer. I haven't had that getting passed by everyone experience. And yes my Navigator is based on a F-150, but so are all of the earlier Ford F-250's and F-350's built before Ford came out with the "Super Duties" Possibly includeing your F-250.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Try it out

Try before you buy, The seller should help you hook up and go for a test drive. The 25 is a really nice trailer so you might consider getting a diffrent T/V.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, once again, I will have to disagree. I have maintained speeds of 55 to 60 MPH up hills with my Navigator versus 60 to 70 MPH for your 460 V-8 F-250 towing a much lighter 17' trailer. I haven't had that getting passed by everyone experience. And yes my Navigator is based on a F-150, but so are all of the earlier Ford F-250's and F-350's built before Ford came out with the "Super Duties" Possibly including your F-250.
Hi, In rebuttal, IF I had a larger trailer I wouldn't fly up hill at 50 or above. The harder you push your vehicle the shorter lifespan it will have. The E4OD that is bolted to my 460 is a good trans. if you keep it maintained and treat it well, it'll last a long time. If you abuse it, it will fail, its the nature of the beast. They are only good for about 100K after that you are on borrowed time.

I didn't say everyone, I said "a lot", that means by all vehicles.

Sure you can tow anything you want behind a Navigator or any other vehicle you want for that matter. The more you ask it to do the shorter its lifespan gets. It ain't rocket science.

You haven't looked under an F 150 vs a F 250 or 350 recently have you. You'll notice that they have distinctly different running gear. Even though they have the same frame rails. Even in the 90's the running gear was vastly different from the 150's to the 250's and above. I had the recent experience to compare side by side my F 250 to my uncle's F 350. Same body style, same engine, but, entirely different running gear. Rear axle was the same but the front axle was different as where the suspension components. It even rides completley different.

The Nav. has a softer suspension, and that means that you'll need a good hitch system. Whatever that may be, Hensley, EZ lift or Reese.

I wasn't bashing the Navigator. It is a nice comfy tow-vehicle. Hell, if I still had my Lincoln Continental, I would tow with it, just like Bill Kerfoot.

Just keep in mind what you ask it to do. That will determine how long it will last which is dependant on how good your maintenance is.

It is a numbers game.

When will you be ready to get a new TV ?

Do you want to upgrade your original TV to be able to withstand what you ask it to do ?

Are you going to be pulling 12 mile long 6% or 7% grades with it in the heat of summer ?

These are all valid questions.

For example : the grade to Frenchglen, OR from the south is 14%.

It all depends on what YOU want to do with your towvehicle.

And what you are comfortible with.

To back all this up, I am a truck driver and have been pulling doubles and triples all over the NW. I will cross the million mile mark this year at my job. I have seen what is on the side of the road over heating, etc. It is pretty rare to see any ford product pulled to the side.

I have never seen a Navigator pulled to the side with any problems. It is usually an older chev or dodge. But then, most people don't pull with Navigators. That is just what I have seen on the road.

So before you start bashing me on my comments, take a moment to think.

What do these folks want to do with their TV and 25 Ft. Trailer ?

Do they want to tow on primarily flat ground ? or do they want to pull these super steep grades into Yellowstone or Glacier Park for example ?

And how much stuff are they going to put in it ? how much extra weight does it add ?

The bottom line is, think about where you want to go, how many times you want to go there, how many passes you have to cross, and how much weight you want to pull with the towvehicle you have. Is it up to the task ? Have you upgraded it ? Have you maintained it well ? Be honest with yourself. If you have been lax in maintenance, well get on it, then tow away.

All I wish is for everyone to have a good towing experience with what they choose to drive as a towvehicle. Most all the current SUV's and light trucks can do the job if outfitted correctly.

That is my $10.25
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not Bashing

Hi, C Johnson. I'm sorry if you feel like I was bashing you; I was not. As for looking at Ford pickups, I have been working at new car dealers since 1968, mostly Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealers. I still work at a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealer now as Shopforeman. And I have seen, and worked on, many of these vehicles. Yes the F-series pickups of yesterday were all the same truck with heavier suspensions and axles and drivetrains as the numbers went up. [F-250 F-350]
I'm just trying to help someone who has a simular tow vehicle who wants to tow a simular trailer. By my personal experience.

No Bashing.................Bob
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, C Johnson. I'm sorry if you feel like I was bashing you; I was not. As for looking at Ford pickups, I have been working at new car dealers since 1968, mostly Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealers. I still work at a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealer now as Shopforeman. And I have seen, and worked on, many of these vehicles. Yes the F-series pickups of yesterday were all the same truck with heavier suspensions and axles and drivetrains as the numbers went up. [F-250 F-350]
I'm just trying to help someone who has a simular tow vehicle who wants to tow a simular trailer. By my personal experience.

No Bashing.................Bob
Were cool Bob. You are welcome at my fire ring anytime.

From one Ford man to another !

My Dad had a 1972 f 250. That thing was bullet proof I swear. Probably why I still see so many on the road today.

I wish my 95 was as easy to work on as my pops 72.

Cheers