Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
This is just my opinion, I'm no kind of towing professional but if I have a choice I'd stay in my Airstream instead of a Holiday Inn Express. If the RAM you're talking about is a 1500, *I* would want a hitch with weight distribution and some degree of sway control. You might not need the sway control most days, but I think the weight distribution will make a pleasant difference in your towing experience.

Thanks so much for your reply[emoji2]
HeikeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
and now the fun begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeikeET View Post
Thanks so much for your reply[emoji2]
Next logical question may be "which" WDH. There are several experts here to help with that if you have the time. We have owned 3 25' AS's over past 8 years. Used Reese, Equalizer, and 2 Blue Ox. We currently use the Blue Ox. All work fine. Question to some is money; you can pay $600 or you can pay over $1500 for some WDH's. We currently have the newer Blue Ox last couple years and have no issues. Good luck!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
We have been towing our 26U with Ram 1500 eco diesel and Blue ox WD hitch with good results. The trailer tows well, nice and stable on interstate and local roads. The fuel economy towing has been excellent at 16 mpg. The eco diesel is nice truck to drive for daily driver as well, very comfortable and quiet. This set up has worked well for us and had no problems with our truck reliability.
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
This is an interesting thread. One of the things that amazes me is that it still has life in it. When shopping two weeks ago for a new truck I was told the Ram 1500 Diesel is no longer available by a Ram Chrysler Salesman. So why is this comparison (which I believe the OP meant i.e. which engine makes more sense)still going on when one of the engines is no longer in the picture?
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
That salesman is a doof. EPA has the 2017s held up. Eventually 2017 or 2018 the ED will be released.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
That salesman is a doof. EPA has the 2017s held up. Eventually 2017 or 2018 the ED will be released.
There are thousands of EcoDiesels on lots waiting for the new EPA to drop their complaints. Once that happens they will be heavily discounted to move them out.

One important feature of the Ram not found on other 1/2 tons is the independent rear suspension. I believe this gives a big advantage for a tow vehicle. The coil springs are able to be mounted further out than leaf springs and this will give the rear axle more stability and resistance to sway forces.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
There are thousands of EcoDiesels on lots waiting for the new EPA to drop their complaints. Once that happens they will be heavily discounted to move them out.

One important feature of the Ram not found on other 1/2 tons is the independent rear suspension. I believe this gives a big advantage for a tow vehicle. The coil springs are able to be mounted further out than leaf springs and this will give the rear axle more stability and resistance to sway forces.
As always, there is a trade off. The increased stability of an independent suspension comes with the limitation of not being able to carry as much load as a solid axle. Nothing wrong with either choice. We just have to choose whats appropriate for our specific application.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #108
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
As always, there is a trade off. The increased stability of an independent suspension comes with the limitation of not being able to carry as much load as a solid axle.
You are both confusing independent rear suspension, which the Ram 1500 doesn't have, with coil spring suspension, which it does have.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You are both confusing independent rear suspension, which the Ram 1500 doesn't have, with coil spring suspension, which it does have.
I just looked at the Ram chassis diagram. You're right. Coils yes, but not independent suspension.

One disadvantage of extra payload is that the wife will utilize all of it to bring needless stuff on the trip.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

Ranger , Texas
I had a similar issue trying to decide between an F150 and 250/350. I was also concerned about the size until I looked up dimensions and saw that there was a very small difference between the models. Comparing an F150 Crew cab with a 6.5ft bed to a Super Duty crew cab with a 6.75ft bed the differences are pretty insignificant. The Super duty is the same width, has a 3" longer wheelbase, about 6" longer overall length, and is about 1" taller.

I ended up going with a 1 ton. I can tow a trailer and put just about anything I want in the bed and not worry about being over loaded.
Goatboy708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Joe, you are in the business, so I'm sure you know. But as an owner and user of several Turbo Charged engines in boats (both diesel and gas) an awfully lot of $$$ can be spent on Turbos. The turbo itself can be a money pit as can the engine asked to digest all the hot high pressure air being crammed down it's throat to produce max horsepower. A cast iron diesel is one thing, but a small aluminum block? And with the ford engine, we are talking about two chargers. I guess time will tell, but I would plan on trading often if using a small turbo gas engine to tow larger Airstreams.
PS, guess I'm a lucky one, no money spent on emission equipment, or anything else, in a 100k mile Duramax.
That's your endorsement-basis for a diesel...a 100K miles...??

I did 323K miles in my 4L straight-six gas Jeep with only a water pump before it was rear-ended by a texting driver!
My F150 gasser did 220K with only a transmission re-seal before I sold it to the next guy who took it to 340K before wrecking it.
My RAM is now at 116K with no mx at all other than oil and filter changes. To state that your diesel made it all the to 100K is ridiculous as a comparison.

Gasoline engines are far and away less expensive and more durable from a non-mx standard. Diesels only advantage is really heavy towing ....and a large V8 with good trans will do almost as well but perform much better around-town,...and engine braking and my gasser p/u will handle downhills just fine in Tow-Haul mode with cruise control.
Add that to the fact that it takes more crude to make a barrel of dirty diesel then it does gasoline and it's no contest, IMO.

Wow. A diesel all the way to 100K with $100 oil changes sure sounds.... err... and a $12K premium to get into that game? THANK YOU SIR (and may I have another?)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know many people love their pickups with diesels. My only reference is a friend who bought a new F-250 diesel to tow a small fifth wheel (which he barely ever did). In less than 85K total miles, he was plagued by three trips to the dealer with engine repairs. They always had to repair some internal oil passage/pump (I wasn't there, but by the time he traded for a different brand gas truck, he had invested $9000 in repairs. Add to that the extra cost of diesel fuel and I'm turned off. (Ford did not use the same diesel in their F-250 that they did in the over the road trucks)
YouTube has a series featuring a couple who travel in their Airstream. Four or five of their videos are about "Bulletproofing their diesel" by pouring money into it. I thought diesels were already bulletproof?
When it was time to buy a new truck, I went gas. (No turbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Add that to the fact that it takes more crude to make a barrel of dirty diesel then it does gasoline and it's no contest, IMO.
Not sure I agree with that. Diesel is made the same way gas is, but way less refined. Diesel is at the bottom of the fractionating tower, just above fuel oil and asphalt. It SHOULD be the cheapest fuel, but isn't.
Diesel looks dirty, but the exhaust is contaminated with heavy particles which don't stay in the atmosphere.

If you're buying a diesel for engine braking, you're going to discover a diesel has NO engine braking. My MH going downhill might as well be in neutral on downhills. That's why the "exhaust brake" was developed. A solenoid drops a flapper in the path of the exhaust, thus creating back pressure in the cylinders. Mine also drops the transmission into 4th gear. Big semis use a "Jake break" which messes with the valve timing. That's why you hear the annoying "Braaaattt" when they are in use.

The bottom line is, If you want a diesel for it's perceived benefits, get it. But don't look at semi's on the road and think, "They go a million miles so mine will too."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
That's your endorsement-basis for a diesel...a 100K miles...??

I did 323K miles in my 4L straight-six gas Jeep with only a water pump before it was rear-ended by a texting driver!
My F150 gasser did 220K with only a transmission re-seal before I sold it to the next guy who took it to 340K before wrecking it.
My RAM is now at 116K with no mx at all other than oil and filter changes. To state that your diesel made it all the to 100K is ridiculous as a comparison.

Gasoline engines are far and away less expensive and more durable from a non-mx standard. Diesels only advantage is really heavy towing ....and a large V8 with good trans will do almost as well but perform much better around-town,...and engine braking and my gasser p/u will handle downhills just fine in Tow-Haul mode with cruise control.

Wow. A diesel all the way to 100K with $100 oil changes sure sounds.... err... and a $12K premium to get into that game? THANK YOU SIR (and may I have another?)
Wow is right. Pulling a little 22 foot sport with a gasser and you know all about diesels. Maybe being from Austin explains it.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Never had much luck with the rear wheel bearings on the 1/2 pickups I've owned..Ever wonder what happens when or if you break an axle on one? It would be just like being in my model A Ford, all the weight is on the axle.. we are going to head to the west coast on Saturday and try out our new 2500 ram with the 6.7 cummalong....as for the turbo, my 500 hp cat in the KW has 1.4 million miles , the turbo has never been touched, and the head has never been off...I like the diesel..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #115
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I know many people love their pickups with diesels. My only reference is a friend who bought a new F-250 diesel to tow a small fifth wheel (which he barely ever did).
Sounds like he didn't use the truck enough.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeikeET View Post
So we have a Ram 5.7 liter Hemi with air shocks auto leveling and just bought a 25 ft. 2015 airstream. Picking it up tomorrow and driving 6 hours. Please let me know what we need to do ... if anything about weight distribution [emoji15] any comment would be appreciated
There are several threads here on WDH hitches....advice: get one
Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Never had much luck with the rear wheel bearings on the 1/2 pickups I've owned..Ever wonder what happens when or if you break an axle on one? It would be just like being in my model A Ford, all the weight is on the axle.. we are going to head to the west coast on Saturday and try out our new 2500 ram with the 6.7 cummalong....as for the turbo, my 500 hp cat in the KW has 1.4 million miles , the turbo has never been touched, and the head has never been off...I like the diesel..

My head is spinning from all this Gas Vs diesel controversy.
If gasers were as reliable as diesels or better as some here claim,that is what you would see in all the Trucks, Construction Equipment, Power generating plants etc.
There wasn't a Mack in our fleet that we had to redo heads or turbos before 1.5 million miles.
The problem with the first few generation of light vehicle diesels, especially Fords wasn't that they were diesel it was the fact that they were cheaply designed and built. Diesel has always out preformed gas, that's how it became famous to begin with on the race track.
65 percent of cars on Europe's interstates are powered by diesel.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
If gasers were as reliable as diesels or better as some here claim,that is what you would see in all the Trucks, Construction Equipment, Power generating plants etc.
There wasn't a Mack in our fleet that we had to redo heads or turbos before 1.5 million miles.
The problem with the first few generation of light vehicle diesels, especially Fords wasn't that they were diesel it was the fact that they were cheaply designed and built. Diesel has always out preformed gas, that's how it became famous to begin with on the race track.
65 percent of cars on Europe's interstates are powered by diesel.
Yea but Frankly Frank, who lives in Europe? Cost of ownership is important to some of us...and gas certainly is cheaper... Not sure it is a question of gas vs diesel here...I think it is a question of Ram EcoDiesel or F150 Ecoboost? F150 would likely win on reliability, payload, cost to operate (gas;oil changes; service), HP & torque. EcoDiesel would win on....price, MPG, and.... something else Can't remember now...
Old 04-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #119
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I think you are assuming that the factors that make diesels a good choice for heavy equipment apply equally to passenger vehicles. I don't agree with that.

I know diesels well. I spent 24 years working in a heavy equipment distributor, the largest in the world. Sales, service, parts. Power generation, mining trucks, construction equipment, ag equipment, on highway truck engines (until the manufacturer moved out of that business). It was all diesel, apart from the natural gas fuelled models. Then I spent a few years on alternate fuelled equipment, developing diesel/lng fuel systems. When I lived and worked in the U.K. I drove diesel personal vehicles due to the tax structure.

But I won't own a diesel for a personal vehicle in North America, unless I need a vehicle with a GVW rating significantly higher, such as a 450/550/+ model, or I find myself with a duty cycle that is far beyond personal transportation. I just don't see the factors that made them the best choice in all those other applications as applying very much.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Wow is right. Pulling a little 22 foot sport with a gasser and you know all about diesels. Maybe being from Austin explains it.
Well, your ad hominem attempt is not just weak, it is disingenuous seeing as how you do not know me or my long maintenance technician background. If you'd critiqued my opinion using logic...or facts...or statistics... your snarkiness would be better masked.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags