Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #81
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
This thread was a huge help for me: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-43568-12.html

Which would seem to suggest I use lighter bars for a softer ride. But, and I forgot about this important point. The Power Wagon receives different shocks and coils than a standard Ram 2500. They are very soft to achieve the high rate of articulation the PW has.

With the 1000 lb bars I'm almost at 100% FALR. And that is with the proper 5 links under tension for my Reese. But I have no bend in my bars which would seem to indicate it might be too much.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Great thread, "Bold". I really appreciate your honest reporting of your experiences. Very refreshing!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #83
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Truck with heavier duty ratings needs to be "slower" to avoid heat spikes in fluids, thus against gears. While a PW isn't a highway tow rig, per se, a soft surface and a heavy load would want to see less chance of hot spots forming in closed systems for longevity.

It's relatively easy to trust Dodge. The 32k GVW loads we moved in the South Texas oilfields with one tons is the kind of feedback GM and Ford never got. Their drive trains weren't up to commercial service until quite recently.

And, as beer drinking and hell raisin' have nothing to do with off-roading, a conservative application of power may be the perfect thing. I sure as hell have to be careful letting out the clutch on this big Cummins I'm sitting behind, both axles engaged or not.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
It sounds like the settings on the transmission need to be changed so that when towing it finds the right gear sooner with throttle movement. The down side to this would be gear hunting. Maybe if there was a delay shifting to the next higher gear would help? That's why I drive a stick, I can always keep the engine in the power and torque band.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #85
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Truck with heavier duty ratings needs to be "slower" to avoid heat spikes in fluids, thus against gears. While a PW isn't a highway tow rig, per se, a soft surface and a heavy load would want to see less chance of hot spots forming in closed systems for longevity.

It's relatively easy to trust Dodge. The 32k GVW loads we moved in the South Texas oilfields with one tons is the kind of feedback GM and Ford never got. Their drive trains weren't up to commercial service until quite recently.

And, as beer drinking and hell raisin' have nothing to do with off-roading, a conservative application of power may be the perfect thing. I sure as hell have to be careful letting out the clutch on this big Cummins I'm sitting behind, both axles engaged or not.
Yup. That's why I thought it must have to do with the use of the HD vehicle compared to a 1500. Was having a discussion with some other ram owners and it came up that more folks buy half tons for daily drivers. It makes more sense to make them feel like cars, wherein an HD truck, that's not a priority, the priority is duty use and longevity, that's what you want.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I love that with my Power Wagon, once I unhitch the Airstream I can pretty much go anywhere. The only other stock vehicles that can say that (although they can't pull my 30 Classic) are the Rubicon Wrangler and the G-Wagon.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #87
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I love that with my Power Wagon, once I unhitch the Airstream I can pretty much go anywhere. The only other stock vehicles that can say that (although they can't pull my 30 Classic) are the Rubicon Wrangler and the G-Wagon.
Yup, that's why I love mine. On the road comfort. Drove to Zion yesterday, love this truck.

And then, when the road ends, more capability than any other 3/4 ton on the market.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
It sounds like the settings on the transmission need to be changed so that when towing it finds the right gear sooner with throttle movement. The down side to this would be gear hunting. Maybe if there was a delay shifting to the next higher gear would help? That's why I drive a stick, I can always keep the engine in the power and torque band.
The last time I was in for regular service with my '13 PW, I was complaining to them about the shift points not only while towing, but everyday driving as well.
I was told that the computer that controls the transmission is self learning and can be adjusted to suit a particular drivers "style". Said he'd download the info & reprogram while it was in getting some warranty items replaced. Two days later when I picked it up, it drove like a different truck! ( a good thing) We've since only made one trip hooked to the Airstream, but the "gear hunting" on the uphill climbs seemed considerably better and non existent on the long straightaways.
Whether what he told me was true, I don't really know. I'm by no means really sure about really what they can do with new vehicles these days. But the proof is in the pudding, whatever they changed,I like it!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Like someone told me before, it ain't 1999 anymore! I am glad a flash update increased drive ability for you to such a large degree. If the system is self learning maybe Mike can give us an update to this as he continues his travels. I'm always concerned about computer updates here in California. The "Smog Tech's" (I use this term lightly) will fail you for changing anything to do with computer controls. Since the dealer did the flash maybe this is approved. Let us know if the truck unlearns what it has learned!
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #90
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Put the winch on the PowerWagon to good use today. Family pulled over to the side of the road to grab a picture and couldn't get back out - kept sliding further into the ditch. Good test of our gear and teamwork with the wife.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Put the winch on the PowerWagon to good use today. Family pulled over to the side of the road to grab a picture and couldn't get back out - kept sliding further into the ditch. Good test of our gear and teamwork with the wife.

Nice. Love all the photos you're posting in this thread. What a truck!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #92
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thanks, and here is even more. I think the reason to own a winch is to help friends in need.

Three weeks of ownership and we used our winch twice in one weekend now!

A full-timing family who we follow on Instagram got their truck, and 5th wheel stuck in some pretty gnarly mud down near Lake Mead. We hadn't met them yet, but decided since they were only 2hrs away to head down and help them out.

This is how stuck they were:

First, I winched out his truck. Which was easy enough.

Then had him come back at an angle and try to keep the front tires on as much solid ground as possible. This way he could hitch up and drive forward. But the weight was still to much.

I hooked up the winch line and got it nice and tight. Then I had him drive forward on a thumbs up while I pulled in reverse using 4Low to keep the line tight. I figured this would keep his truck and rig from sliding back into the mud. And it all worked out.

Not an ideal winching situation in the second round. Would have preferred to use a strap (if I had one at the time). That's a lot of stress to place on the winch brake. But it was only for a few brief seconds. And all appears well.

You can see video proof here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEB4tdNqvdY/
Old 04-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Two wheel drive pickup trucks, bad for towing in anything but perfect conditions...
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Bold, glad to hear that you are truly enjoying your Power Wagon! You definitely have some nice pictures. I should take more.
Took the Airstream out this weekend. The Wagon did just fine as usual. For the round trip the average mpg was 11.8. Still pretty darn good in my opinion. This time around I watched the temps on the other fluids. Tranny stayed at 170. Coolant was at 208 like Bold's was. The engine oil stayed in the 220's. I guess that is good. Speeds were between 60 and 65 with lots of hills. Elevations topped out at a little over 9500 feet.

Zane and Diane
CORockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Bold, looks like you putting the Ram to good use helping folks out and exploring.

I'll return to my desk work now.

Kelvin
Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #96
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Choose the tool for the mission. That includes the choice of both tow vehicle and trailer.
Great advice!

Mission: Get off the beaten path, tackle most 4x4 trails with ease, support family in multi-day overland expeditions. Must also comfortably tow Airstream and be decent daily driver.

Tool Selected: 2015 Ram Power Wagon

Mission Accomplishments:

Mission Video Log:
All done with our Ram bone stock.

Supporting Modifications:

After wheeling in Moab for 4 weeks, I decided that the only additions to our truck would be to go up a size in tires, and to add rocker protection and differential protection for how we like to wheel. The only other real modifcation has been lighting.

35x12.50R17 Toyo Open Country AT/II Load Range E tire.

White Knuckle Off Road Rock Sliders

Front Differential Armor:

Rear Differential Armor:

Lighting upgrades:
HID low beam projectors, LED high beams, 40 inch Rigid Light Bar, Rigid SAE Fog Lights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice Diff covers Bold.

Like the one of you with the truck on the redstone.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote