Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Postscript. I am now a Sr. Healthcare Economics consultant with a very large Health Insurance company, and from my perspective, the tax on all of us from those exposed to bad air, in the form of involuntary exposure to pollutants, particularly in urban areas (like Raleigh) is higher due to increased healthcare costs, which we all share the burden of. Then there are the voluntary risks that folks take on, like smoking tobacco, an activity the state of NC is no stranger to, where at least some of the cost of the risk is passed on through higher premiums. Not everyone can afford to move to cleaner environs, hence the regulators interest in cleaning up the urban areas. But having been to England in recent years, the real pollutant is not so much Diesel fuel, but rather Heating Oil (same difference) and outdated furnaces. The stench I experienced in Swindon on a recent visit there was unbearable. Fortunately in this country we have an abundance of Natural Gas, but still have a distribution problem in the North East, but there too, there is high reliance on Heating Oil. Again, its all about perspective.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westlake , OH(summer)NC(winter)
If the liberals are allowed to continue their march towards utopia.......we'll all be driving Vespas and Fiats fueled by corn and/or veggie oil! No more steak because the cows will starve (no corn) and my wife will stop baking (no veggie oil).
OHNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I may be a liberal because I am concerned about environmental conditions for our grandchildren as well as ourselves, but wasn't aware of this agenda.

Anyway this is way off topic and against forum rules so hope the moderators clean this up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Just curious, but does anyone think a ML250 with 200 HP has the guts to tow an airstream? Sure the torque is great, but 200hp with the 2.1LBT is a pretty big step down from 240hp from a ML350 with the 3.0L.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #165
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Just curious, but does anyone think a ML250 with 200 HP has the guts to tow an airstream? Sure the torque is great, but 200hp with the 2.1LBT is a pretty big step down from 240hp from a ML350 with the 3.0L.
ML250 Towing capacity is 6600 lbs.........so properly equipped and without much cargo in the trailer.......yes
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #166
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
Have an opportunity to buy a '12 ml 350 blutek

Seller doesn't have a print out of all the various options on the vehicle.
He did share some info on some of the option included. Without listing them a
All, there is a reference to air suspension on what he claimed
to be manufacturers list from time of sale. Don't see anything about a towing hitch on the vehicle. He says the car comes with a standard option package, package one I thought he said, but looking at what's on the car it may be the option package two. Car has 20" tires. Can't remember if that is bad or good

Don't really trust the fella selling it

Can someone clarify any must have features I need to be able to tow a 25 FC.
As I understand it. I need the weight distributing hitch to toe. I assume Can am or some other capable trailer inch favility can mount it for me no matter what towing setup, if any, Mercedes sold the car with

The Porsche cayenne scared me away with the warning of near continual repair or servicing being required. I mean I couldn't tow a airstream with a cayeven and drive across the country and back without stopping on the tour to get the 5000 mile required service completed.

We have members here towing 25 ' air streams with 350 Blu tek so I know it can be done. But first thing is buying the right blu tek

Are there any options or add on that MUST be built into the vehicle to make it towing capable. Dealing with a private party and he knows less than me
Just want to be sure I don't buy a vehicle that will useless for it's intended purpose, an in town drive about and 25' airstream tower.

Thanks for your suggestions
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoniankid View Post

He did share some info on some of the option included. Without listing them a
All, there is a reference to air suspension on what he claimed
to be manufacturers list from time of sale. Don't see anything about a towing hitch on the vehicle. He says the car comes with a standard option package, package one I thought he said, but looking at what's on the car it may be the option package two. Car has 20" tires. Can't remember if that is bad or good

Don't really trust the fella selling it

Can someone clarify any must have features I need to be able to tow a 25 FC.
As I understand it. I need the weight distributing hitch to toe. I assume Can am or some other capable trailer inch favility can mount it for me no matter what towing setup, if any, Mercedes sold the car with

The Porsche cayenne scared me away with the warning of near continual repair or servicing being required. I mean I couldn't tow a airstream with a cayeven and drive across the country and back without stopping on the tour to get the 5000 mile required service completed.

We have members here towing 25 ' air streams with 350 Blu tek so I know it can be done. But first thing is buying the right blu tek

Are there any options or add on that MUST be built into the vehicle to make it towing capable. Dealing with a private party and he knows less than me
Just want to be sure I don't buy a vehicle that will useless for it's intended purpose, an in town drive about and 25' airstream tower.

Thanks for your suggestions
Towing cap for 2012 ML BluTec is 7200 lbs. Recommend you purchase a CPO vehicle from a MB dealer. You'll get a CPO warranty and peace of mind.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I drove my Mercedes 2007 ML320 CDI from Phoenix in late October 2013 to London, Ontario in three days (including a stop at the Airstream factory for the afternoon tour) to have CanAm modify the hitch attachment receiver on the car. While there, they also shortened and slightly bent the Hensley hitch stinger. I returned to Phoenix three days later.

Since the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI (built October 2006) lacked a trailer wiring harness going to the front of the car, I had to use the Tekonsha Wireless trailer brake controller system.

A few days later, I drove to Los Angles to take delivery of and tow our 2013 25FB International Serenity home. While at the dealership, I had a Hensley hitch installed.

The new trailer was basically empty and I had no issues going through the mountains on I-10 east bound. The lowest gear on the steepest grade was fifth of seven at around 2450 rpm. I crossed the scales with the car and empty trailer a few days later and found all weights were within bounds per the door label. The trailer weighed about 5,800 pounds which just slightly exceeded the suggested 5,000 limit.

We loaded the trailer with all our stuff, full fresh water, full propane and the wife and I crossed the scales. There car was not as happy with the trailer at 6,900 pounds and seemed under strain on the very slight grades going to the scales. The scales reported an overloaded front suspension and maxed put rear suspension with no gear in the car (like a grill and propane chairs etc).

Later versions the ML had the towing limit raised to 7,200 pounds (the 25' series Airstreams have a GVW of 7,300 pounds and the 27' series have a 7,600 pound GVW) which could be doable.

However, I had a Shurline scale with me when I picked up the trailer and the tongue weight with the Hensley hitch head was attached was 1,150 pounds. Camping ready, the tongue weight was 1,175 pounds. These numbers crowd the limits of even the CanAm modified hitch receiver.

The liability of overloading the tow vehicle's rating to possibly void the remaining 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and more importantly cause a failure that could lead to an accident caused me to retire the car from towing our Airstream.

We acquired the current 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins diesel and the towing weight and driveline issues vanished and that vehicle tows the 31' 2014 Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds with no issues even in the mountains.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
<snip>However, I had a Shurline scale with me when I picked up the trailer and the tongue weight with the Hensley hitch head was attached was 1,150 pounds. Camping ready, the tongue weight was 1,175 pounds. These numbers crowd the limits of even the CanAm modified hitch receiver.

The liability of overloading the tow vehicle's rating to possibly void the remaining 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and more importantly cause a failure that could lead to an accident caused me to retire the car from towing our Airstream.

We acquired the current 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins diesel and the towing weight and driveline issues vanished and that vehicle tows the 31' 2014 Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds with no issues even in the mountains.
Did you consider loading your AS differently to get the tongue weight down, or were you just looking for an excuse to own a large truck?
Old 12-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #170
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoniankid View Post

<snip>
A dealer can use the VIN to determine what options the vehicle has.
A factory hitch (from the factory, of course) has extra reinforcement built into the chassis, which is valuable. Aftermarket hitches won't have that - I doubt that even a factory M-B hitch installed later could include that reinforcing member.
The way Can-Am reinforces a hitch, if you go there or use a hitch installer that communicates with Can-AM, obviates the need for the chassis reinforcement, IMHO.
A CPO is a good idea - the warranties are great.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Yes. The power required to move the ML/Airstream combination through the down the road at 60 mph would be around 70 hp. There is still plenty of margin for headwinds and moderate grades without downshifting.

Typical for highway towing would be an engine speed of 2500 rpm. Horsepower, assuming 325 lbs-ft torque, would be about 155 or more than twice what would be needed to keeping the combination moving. (325x2500/5252)

Even at the torque peak of 1800 rpm (369 lbs-ft), the engine would be producing 126 hp. Torque output at peak power (200 at 3800 rpm) would be 276 lbs-ft. Also, acceleration through the gears should be reasonably brisk, since the torque peak is already reached at 1600 rpm.

Yes, the old 3 litre would be better, but the 2.1 will get the job done.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I drove my Mercedes 2007 ML320 CDI from Phoenix in late October 2013 to London, Ontario in three days (including a stop at the Airstream factory for the afternoon tour) to have CanAm modify the hitch attachment receiver on the car. While there, they also shortened and slightly bent the Hensley hitch stinger. I returned to Phoenix three days later.

Since the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI (built October 2006) lacked a trailer wiring harness going to the front of the car, I had to use the Tekonsha Wireless trailer brake controller system.

A few days later, I drove to Los Angles to take delivery of and tow our 2013 25FB International Serenity home. While at the dealership, I had a Hensley hitch installed.

The new trailer was basically empty and I had no issues going through the mountains on I-10 east bound. The lowest gear on the steepest grade was fifth of seven at around 2450 rpm. I crossed the scales with the car and empty trailer a few days later and found all weights were within bounds per the door label. The trailer weighed about 5,800 pounds which just slightly exceeded the suggested 5,000 limit.

We loaded the trailer with all our stuff, full fresh water, full propane and the wife and I crossed the scales. There car was not as happy with the trailer at 6,900 pounds and seemed under strain on the very slight grades going to the scales. The scales reported an overloaded front suspension and maxed put rear suspension with no gear in the car (like a grill and propane chairs etc).

Later versions the ML had the towing limit raised to 7,200 pounds (the 25' series Airstreams have a GVW of 7,300 pounds and the 27' series have a 7,600 pound GVW) which could be doable.

However, I had a Shurline scale with me when I picked up the trailer and the tongue weight with the Hensley hitch head was attached was 1,150 pounds. Camping ready, the tongue weight was 1,175 pounds. These numbers crowd the limits of even the CanAm modified hitch receiver.

I traded a fully loaded 2012 Sierra HD Denali for our 2014 ML350 Bluetec for a host of reasons and would not go back even towing our new 2015 30' Bunk. I will admit the extra power is missed on the high steep Colorado passes but it is such a tiny portion of our overall trailering it just did not make sense to keep the truck which did not fit in my garage, my wife would not drive, is hard to maneuver, rough riding especially on concrete highways and not exactly fuel efficient. From Boise to Denver never dropped below 65 and averaged better than 16mpg.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The dealership installed the Hensley Hitch head on our 2013 25FB International Serenity when I got there. The dealer had previously installed a 155 watt solar panel and street side and rear awnings.

The Airstream literature tongue weight for this model is 833 pounds. The Shurline scaled tongue weight was 1,150 pounds for the empty trailer before attaching to the Mercedes. The car numbers are surprising. There was only 140 pounds of capacity remaining on the front axle with only myself in the vehicle and no trailer. The factory air suspension kept the car level despite the trailer.

The numbers below reflect just myself both in the car empty and with the the new from the dealer trailer attached. The third column reflect my wife and I with the loaded trailer attached and a small air compressor in the back of the car - no camping equipment like chairs, grill etc.

Perhaps later year models had more payload capacity when the maximum trailer weight towing capacity was pencil whipped to 7,200 pounds from my 5,000 pound limit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ML Numbers.pdf (26.7 KB, 102 views)

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #174
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
San Francisco , California
Our '13 ML Bluetec has axle limits of 3100 / 3600; not all that much more than yours. It's been a champ so far towing our 27FB though, knock on wood. Denver -> Wyoming -> Utah -> SF -> Grand Canyon -> Dallas -> Denver (parked for some upgrades). That was all without the hitch reinforcement, which I just had done after dropping the trailer off. I love the Airmatic.
ciparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #175
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
I have a 1987, 34' Excella bought new. I am considering a MB GL 350 or 550 for next tow vehicle. Most of our TV have been 1/2 ton Suburban variants. We use a Hensley. I used a 2003 short wheel base Navigator for a few years with no drama. The new GL are larger and more powerful than the Navigator. I am looking for feedback on towing with a 34'. Also, are the new hitches ready to use? I see alot of comment about reinforcing. I'm curious why not just sway out hitch for a Curt that I see is a direct bolt on and has 900lb tongue weight for $350? Thanks for any insight

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Our Curt hitches bolted to the frame front and rear on the Dodge 2500HD. There is no frame per se on the Mercedes ML or GL so the Curt bolt on would be attaching to sheet metal.

CanAm dropped the tank and extended the receiver forward to a crossmember when they reinforced the hitch on our 2007 ML. There is a photo in the images area link below my avatar.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #177
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
walker,
2009 and earlier M-B factory hitches needed reinforcement, not in the chassis but along some welds in the hitch itself (OE supplier from US). That was corrected for 2010 and newer.
If the M-B hitch is factory installed, there are internal chassis reinforcements included in the package - it's probably not practical to add those pieces later.
For serious towing I would only use the factory-installed hitch. If you find a used ML/GL, be sure to have a M-B dealer check the VIN to verify that the hitch was factory ordered. It is possible to buy a hitch through M-B but I doubt it could include the internal chassis parts.
I would NOT use an aftermarket hitch like the Curt - it's generic and not engineered specifically for M-B.
The attachment for the factory hitch is remarkably stout - look at how the load is spread if you crawl underneath. Then look at how a hitch is attached to a pickup truck and compare. I don't like many hitches on pickups, but we all live with them.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Buffalo , New York
Lots of info in this thread.

Currently towing '73 Safari with 2008 Jeep GC with 5.7L V8, which is my wife's daily driver. I really do not like the way Jeep tows, hate the turning radius, the handling and ride are mediocre and it's become a pain to have to switch cars with my wife when I need to haul the Airstream on non-family trips.

I'm considering trading in my 2007 MB E350 wagon (love it, wish I could tow with it) to upgrade to '11 or '12 ML BlueTEC. Finding one with the right one with a factory tow package seems a bit of a more but I'm not in a huge rush.

Two questions/points:

-Though I know it's not going to last, the current gas prices have me thinking twice about getting a diesel. I've long wanted to switch and feel like diesel is probably better for towing while getting more efficient mileage. With the price dip on gas that could last a couple years, maybe it's not the best time to go diesel. Any thoughts on that?

-What is the palpable difference going to a 3L V6 when I am used to towing with a 5.7L V8?

I welcome any insight (especially from ML owners) and thanks in advance.
DonnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #179
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
MB towing

My experience with the Jeep has been the same. To much suspension travel with the off road capabilities. As to the MB my preference is the GL for storage and wheel base. As to 11 or 12 model, the 12 is the current model and has the upgraded trailer pkg. Most diesels have it. Hands down get the 12. The diesel and the 550 are the torque kings. In towing the MB diesel will out pull the hemi If I were towing alot the diesel will get double the mileage. Also, call Andy at CanAm RV. They are very generous with free advice. I trust them completely.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #180
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I'm considering trading in my 2007 MB E350 wagon (love it, wish I could tow with it)

Hi Donny

We have done E class MB's before, it will tow the 23' very easily. Likely better than an ML. I would want to double check an 07 before you drove up here.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote