Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Too much truck ? .......

Would my 2015 GMC Sierra K 2500 SLT (Diesel) be to "much" truck to pull our 1974 21' Globe trotter; single axle????

I have owned a single axle Airstream and the ride is not as smooth as I remember.

I have noticed the difference when backing up a single axle.

Dave
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
That truck will have a pretty stiff suspension for such a light trailer...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Plenty of truck.

Get yourself a hitch attachment...don't recall name exactly....

Here is one style.. There are others...
Receiver Air Hitch
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
To much truck?....

I have the Reese dual cam hp that was used on the other trailers.

Dave
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucloud View Post
Would my 2015 GMC Sierra K 2500 SLT (Diesel) be to "much" truck to pull our 1974 21' Globe trotter; single axle????

I have owned a single axle Airstream and the ride is not as smooth as I remember.

Dave
Dave.

Your truck would tow the Queen Mary.

Keep in mind, years ago Airstream travel trailers even 31 feet long, were towed with standard sized cars. Your vehicle is way to tough for an Airstream.

The test is simple. When hooked up, ready to tow, stand on the coupler and bounce up and down. Ideally, the trailer tongue should move vertically an inch or two. I doubt that your set up move move more than a quarter of an inch.

Also, the rating of your hitch bars, should be as low as is available, and that's the best you can do. Having a full sway control is still necessary.

Lastly, you should make sure that the trailer has balanced running gear. The latest technology available that allows you to do that is with Centramatic balancers. They go into effect when you hit 25 mph. Most importantly, as the tires wear, those balancers automatically keep adjusting.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
I have the Reese dual cam hp that was used on the other trailers.

Dave
The air hitch fits between... There are other models by "Air safe" or similar name to "soften impact" transmission fro TV to AS.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is the "new" link "Airsafe hitches".. I Guess they sold to a conglomerate?? But you can see some Intel here:
Air Hitches For Sale, Buy Trailer Hitches | AirSafe Hitches
Old 10-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It will be fine. I pull a 25 with a 2500 diesel and the Reece hitch. Get the softest bars you can find. 800 or 600.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Too much truck? Nonsense.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Heavy duty trucks can be tough on any Airstream. Read the threads about loose hinges, screws stripping out, cabinets falling, rivets breaking, drawers coming out, then note the tow vehicle being used. It may not be universal, but there's a strong coincidence.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #11

2015 27' FB International
Elk Grove , California
I think you will be just fine. I pull a 27' International with a Ford F-350. Yes, it is a pretty stiff ride on rough roads, but when I need the power it is there. I have a drop hitch using a Blue Oak equalizer. Haven't had any problems to date and having been pulling it for a year. Best of Luck...
Grayelk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Slow mover!

I tow like an old lady, not like the Little Old Lady from Pasadena.

A heavy duty truck the problem? OR perhaps someone using all of the horsepower and torque that the heavy duty truck provides. Pull any Airstream at 70 or more MPH and you're going to have to go OVER potholes, not around them. Many roads, interstates or not, are in horrible shape, and in bad sections I slow down enough to keep my EB from bouncing like a pogo stick.

If you're towing with a half ton, or an SUV, you might not be able to achieve those high speeds, but with a 3/4 ton it's "like it isn't even there". If you drive like it isn't even there and are trying to set land speed records for towing an Airstream, even an SUV will rattle the trailer.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Dave.

Your truck would tow the Queen Mary.

Keep in mind, years ago Airstream travel trailers even 31 feet long, were towed with standard sized cars. Your vehicle is way to tough for an Airstream.

The test is simple. When hooked up, ready to tow, stand on the coupler and bounce up and down. Ideally, the trailer tongue should move vertically an inch or two. I doubt that your set up move move more than a quarter of an inch.

Also, the rating of your hitch bars, should be as low as is available, and that's the best you can do. Having a full sway control is still necessary.

Lastly, you should make sure that the trailer has balanced running gear. The latest technology available that allows you to do that is with Centramatic balancers. They go into effect when you hit 25 mph. Most importantly, as the tires wear, those balancers automatically keep adjusting.

Andy
I certainly remember the old cars which were large, heavy, and had large unsmogged V-8 engines. They really needed the equalizer WD hitches, and had a long distance from back axle to hitch. Their transmissions were prone to failure even with add on auxiliary trans coolers. Or if with manual transmissions, replacing clutches in small towns. I remember those old days and don't want to go back. I have never bought a tow vehicle and said, gosh I wish I had a small engine and a lighter TV, and fewer gears. I'v been towing since 1971, and since 1999 with a Suburban K2500 7.4L and I wish I had more than 4 forward gears, and maybe a diesel, but my old GMC is still running strong and paid for, so for now we are good to go. Yes, the original writer could switch to lighter WD bars, and if he wants to sell his tow vehicle and get a half ton that would certainly work too, and many of us might want to buy his 3/4 ton diesel!!

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Never!!

Quote:

Dave
Trucks are just like guns, you can never have too much!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I will throw in a vote for an air hitch also. I used to get to the campsite and doors and drawers would be open in my 31' Airstream. I also noticed some cracks forming in the plastic up front and rivets popping out of the interior. I started using an air hitch and all of that stopped. I use the same hitch on the 34' Airstream I have now and it still works great.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Pshaw! We've pulled our Bambi II and the '05 Bambi 19' we had for thousands of miles with our DMAX. No damage or poped rivets to either. We use Equal-i-zer hitches with the lowest tension and lightest bars.

As we say in Wyoming, "There's no such thing as too much truck".
Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I tow like an old lady, not like the Little Old Lady from Pasadena.

A heavy duty truck the problem? OR perhaps someone using all of the horsepower and torque that the heavy duty truck provides. Pull any Airstream at 70 or more MPH and you're going to have to go OVER potholes, not around them. Many roads, interstates or not, are in horrible shape, and in bad sections I slow down enough to keep my EB from bouncing like a pogo stick.

If you're towing with a half ton, or an SUV, you might not be able to achieve those high speeds, but with a 3/4 ton it's "like it isn't even there". If you drive like it isn't even there and are trying to set land speed records for towing an Airstream, even an SUV will rattle the trailer.
I am towing a 2013 30' International with a 2012 F-150 Eco Boost. My normal Interstate cruising speed is 70 Mph at 2100 RPM in 6th gear and I constantly need to check to see if the trailer still there. So I don't know what kind of half tons you are referring to. Of course I have Michelin's all the way around, TV and Trailer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Smile To much truck?...

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I am towing a 2013 30' International with a 2012 F-150 Eco Boost. My normal Interstate cruising speed is 70 Mph at 2100 RPM in 6th gear and I constantly need to check to see if the trailer still there. So I don't know what kind of half tons you are referring to. Of course I have Michelin's all the way around, TV and Trailer.
I recently traded my 2013 F-150 EcoBoost. I didn't like the way it performed in the Rockies - not specifically it's TOWING, but more it's lack of exhaust braking. In Florida I am sure your EcoBoost will be fine. I have a 25 FB Eddie Bauer that came with 16 inch Michelins.

I'm getting closer and closer to full retirement and I full time. I will be traveling the back roads and the hills and valleys of N. America and even though I periodically purge possessions, I really can't "camp light" as everything I own DOES have to go in the tow vehicle or the trailer. I bought the EcoBoost wanting a better daily driver - and it's in city mileage was frankly only slightly better than my former 2008 Chevy Silverado diesel. The Ecoboost does do nicely on long hauls in the country without a trailer. Pretty impressive for a half ton.

Paula
Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Eco Booost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I recently traded my 2013 F-150 EcoBoost. I didn't like the way it performed in the Rockies - not specifically it's TOWING, but more it's lack of exhaust braking. In Florida I am sure your EcoBoost will be fine. I have a 25 FB Eddie Bauer that came with 16 inch Michelins.

I'm getting closer and closer to full retirement and I full time. I will be traveling the back roads and the hills and valleys of N. America and even though I periodically purge possessions, I really can't "camp light" as everything I own DOES have to go in the tow vehicle or the trailer. I bought the EcoBoost wanting a better daily driver - and it's in city mileage was frankly only slightly better than my former 2008 Chevy Silverado diesel. The Ecoboost does do nicely on long hauls in the country without a trailer. Pretty impressive for a half ton.

Paula
I don't know what you are talking about.
The Eco Boost with the turbos is exactly what you need in the Rockies. We have traveled almost exclusively in the Rockies the last three years, close to 20,000 miles and hit every pass out there including Utahs Route 16. One of the most appreciated feature of my Eco Boost, driving in the Rockies is the
" Engine Break" fature. We are pulling a 2013 30' International the trailer is normally at 6,900 LBS travel weight when we hit the road.. When traveling in that type of terrain mileage consideration is secondary.
My F-150 is a 2012 model and I have 80,000 flawless miles on it.
I have Michelin's all the way around Truck and Trailer.
We are retired but not full timers.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote