Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Got My Tow Vehicle!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I picked up my tow vehicle yesterday and had it detailed. I love it already! Its a 96 Chevy Suburban Barn Doors 7.4 V8 36k original miles!! The previous owner towed a horse trailer so I have the brake controller and im all set to roll. Since my daily driver is a VW Rabbit FOR YOUR SAFETY PLEASE avoid all Curbs, Sidewalks, Walkways, Highways, Byways, Dirt Roads & Walmart Parking lots and various dirt lots during the next few months as I learn how to drive this truck and tow!
Thanks
LilNomad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96 Suburban.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	112278  
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Great rig...just head out on several of your 'freeways' down there, most any time of day for some 'lane changing' exercises...

If you try to cut anyone off, I'm sure you'll hear about it from all the loud 'honks'...

Make sure you have some extended mirrors to check things out, and you'll be fine...I'll stay away from So-Cal for a while, till you've got it down pat...

Have fun...Ray
Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Got My Tow Vehicle!!!!

Greetings LiLNomad

I think that you will learn to love your Suburban. My Suburban was purchased new in the Spring of 1998, and I have covered 199,000 miles with it in the ensuing years. It is a capable tow vehicle, a wonderful tour vehicle for a group of friends, and the visibility from the driver's seat is fantastic! I second Ray's suggestion of the advisability of trailer mirrors for your Suburban. I tried several different varieties prior to deciding upon a set of McKesh trailering mirrors - - - I now use them whenever I tow anything regardless of which towcar/trailer combination I am using.

Good luck with your new rig!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi LiLNomad,

Nice truck! I bet it'll do ya a good job. I have a similar one but mine has a baby engine. I've only had mine a year and a half. I've never towed with it yet. I have a '87 Chevy Silverado that I do use for tow and go. I've only ever towed an Airstream a couple miles. That was bringing it home. Since then I've been doing deferred maintenance, making repairs, replacing fixtures, and slowly going broke.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Nice looking Sub. I learned to drive on the Los Angeles freeways in a 1966 Volkswagon, way back when. Of course, they are probably twice as crowded now as they were back then. But just take it slow and celebrate every achievment. = )
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(I've owned a number of older cars -- much older than your truck -- as daily drivers, so one lesson to learn is to treat all problems systematically, NOT component-by-component. You'll just have to do the same thing over to get to the next problem to arise. Ignore me if you already know this, any of this).

15-years is the point where both dealerships and parts store chains let inventory go low . . the vehicles this age are considered to be at end-of-life. Find an enthusiast board to research maintenance and repair questions.

Upgrade it with a MAXBRAKE brake controller. And MICHELIN LTX M&S tires, plus BILSTEIN shocks. I'd also put polyurethane (greaseable) bushings on the anti-roll bars.

Plus:

http://www.realtruck.com/cipa-magna-...2892P1C1T.html

Headlights deserve new housings and a relay-driven harness as well as new lamps.

Check voltage at trailer harness connector (age gets the terminations on both ends; corrosion). Exterior lamps can be upgraded with LED (bulbs) as they all wear down (dim) before they wear out.

Low mileage is great, but 15-years is 15-years, so keep a close eye out. Expect that the first 10k miles is re-setting the mechanical to your way of driving, use, and conditions; it's another form of break-in.

I'd be expecting to replace all fluids, hoses, hose fasteners, filters, etc. Suspension and body bushings deserve a long look, as do ball-joints and steering gear. (Same with door & window seals). I'd also do all service recommended past 100k miles.

A longer wheelbase vehicle makes clear that the vehicle does NOT make it's turns off of the front axle, it is when the rear axle begins the turn that it actually begins to move to another path so expect to make the cuts "farther along" than you may be used to. Keep an eye on tires, especially RR.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post893711

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post893981

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Very nice "Burb"..........We have a 99, 3/4 ton, same engine, with 50k (4x4).......love it......great tow vehicle. During Michigan winters it is stored in a heated building.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Looks like a good choice for towing your Tradewind. I have an 08 Tundra and my daily driver is a 3 series BMW, so I understand your problem in driving this beast. You just have to spend time behind the wheel to get used to it. My only comlaint with my Tundra is that it is "HUGE". Parking it is even worse than driving it. All the new TV's are huge though. It does not even matter if they are 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
love those 'burbs!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
I learned to drive on the Los Angeles freeways in a 1966 Volkswagon, way back when. = )
How about "FOUR" times as crowded - even with some new local freeways and toll roads - "Los Angels & Orange County" have gotten sooooooo bad....

But back on topic - Nice Tow Rig

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
LilNomad, Congrats on the new TV. I have a 1995 3/4 Ton Burb with the 5.7 engine and 4.10 rear and 217,000 miles. I think you will find your truck is a very capable tow vehicle if you take good care of it. Since you said it has 36,000 miles and has done some towing, I would advise servicing the transmission if it has not been done recently. You probably have either the 4L60E or 4L80E trans. I am guessing the 4L80 since you have the big block? If you do, you will find that it is a very duarable trans. I have the 4L80 and it is fantastic. Good luck with the truck.

Tim
DryHeat56 is offline   Reply With Quote