Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
New Tow Vehicle.

We have been thinking about what our next vehicle will be so we can pull the Airstream.I am not getting rid of the Touareg but would like to add another vehicle to the bunch.I have been thinking about it a whole lot and decided that a pickup truck would be the best thing to get.I am not really wanting to spend a lot of dollars but probably around the $30,000 range.(Give or take a few.)
I really like the import vehicles alot.(Such as nissan but have read all different views from everyone.
I dont really know much about the American vehicle at all because I have drivin nothing but imports all my life so I ask all of you.
What is a great all around vehicle that I can have to pull my Airstream.Load it up with dirt,junk,etc,etc.Looks really nice and has the comforts and things like navigation and such.(I like gadgets.)
When I atempted to look at some of the vehicle specs on vehicle like Dodge,Ford, I got really confused with all the stuff as to what vehicle to get because of all the different options.So help me out here please.Thanks all.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Chevy Duramax seems to be the vehicle of choice in the places we camp and in surveys I read on this forum. Your budget may allow this purchase if you find a good deal on a pre-owned vehicle. You may be dissapointed as the truck may wear out before the power plant.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Avalanche

What about a Chevy Avalanche?

Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Devo -- I sold my Nissan Titan when I upgraded from a 24' Argosy to a new 25-footer. TV load capacity was way too low! I couldn't have a topper or carry my canoe.

Barking Spider came up with strong numbers for the larger Tundra Club Cab. I believe he has a new 25' Classic.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi devoman.....

i get the dometic vs import issue.....although many import brands are built here now......
and ge'em did build trucks in mexico....for a while?

i'd rather have a mercedes wagon than m-class...because of where each is built...

so, i shopped all 3 brands and......

i'm pulling with a ford superduty.....this is my first domestic.....in something like 30+ years of buying new cars....

i like it alot after exactly one year of ownership....and didn't expect to at all. man it's great....perfect tow rig, and better highway cruiser than my s6 avant....and the mileage isn't much different either...

it would seem that f/g/d all realize how big their truck market is and seem to do sooooooo much better with the truck line....

ford has really copied the passat in 2 of it's models....closely.

the 07 ge'ems have an interior taken right from audi....see pic below....pretty....and very close in design to your touareg? sure doesn't look like grandpa's gm....

given your preferences....and if you are waiting till jan-07...the toyota tundra will finally be rated and equipped for real towing...and with all that toyota brand love.....it's gonna be a hit....

and it will be built in texas and/or indiana.....does that make it domestic?...

texas IS a republic right?

search the recent tundra threads here for pics...or just visit the toy

website...

and given that you live in florida....buying a 2 wheel drive model....improves handling, mileage, and maintenance costs for you...on any big truck....

really the dodges are nice too and a great value....and they are at least profitable as a company....which i respect...

cheers
2air'

and this thread really should be in the tow vehicle section.....don't we have one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 gmc interior 2.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	19792   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 gmc interior.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	19793  

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
What about a Chevy Avalanche?
You are paying extra for the package compared to the same stuff on a GMC 2500. Avalanache's do come in the 2500 model. Go with the 2500 DuraMax so when you move up to the 34 footer you'll be ready to tow.... Only american auto products I've ever owned have been GMC trucks. If they could build cars this good I'ld buy one.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Cool

I was looking at Toyota Tundra but did not see any specs or anything.I will try and check to see if I can find them.That would be really nice to get one of those.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pulling

So far I found a site that reviewed the Tundra and said it can pull 10,000 lbs.It also said it will be giving the other companies competition.
Seems like I will be looking into this a bit more.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Devo---We picked up a low mileage 04 4X2 2500 Duramax when we traded up to 31'Classic. It doesn't have the HP of the new 06 models but way more than we need plus mpg is very good. As to brands they all make some really good vehicles. Most any of us have our brand preference and you'll get all kinds of advice there. The down side is late model low mileage used diesels are so close to new price you're nearly better going new unless you stumble onto a good deal like we did. I had all but given up being able to afford one like we have now. Depending on equipment you can expect to pay $40k-$50k for a moderatly equiped new unit. I suppose if your working that may not seem bad but on retirement income that would be a real stretch. Concerning the Tundra: While I would never question the quality of the Toyota the tundras at this point are short on HP. There has been talk of them entering the HD truck market and even seeing a diesel but so far that's just rumor. Price wise you'll probable pay as much for a new tundra as a good used diesel of most any brand.---just an opinion of course----Pieman
PS.---I was in the Chev dealer where my son is the shop foreman and looked at a new Tahoe. Nicely equipped $$$$$$$$$ 49,785.00
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Another TV option I didn't read about

Hello all -

Consider the 2500HD Suburban family of vehicle. They are sharp trucks, can handle a decent trailer and haul the family/ friends in comfort and style. An excellent choice - the one I made, in fact.

Check it out for yourself. The new 2007's look extra sharp to my eye. I'm plotting here in the SW to talk the wife into a new TV.... We'll see how that turns out.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Tempe , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to PunkZTT
Go w/ a Nissan Titan. After driving and owning multiple makes and types of vehicles you can't beat Japanese quality and longevity. I have lost faith in American automakers ever since the 80's. Remember the days of "lemons"?
A 9,000lb towing capacity is perfect for a trailer that has a GVWR of ~7000.
Now if you want to get a bigger trailer in the future, then you are stuck with getting an American truck. Hopefully Nissan or Toyota will make a larger truck capable of pulling a 34 footer soon! I guess the new Tundra w/ the 10,000lb towing capacity would work wonders for you as well!
PunkZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Having towed hot rods and horses over 11,000 passes in SW Colorado, my first choice for a TV is a Crew Cab F250 SD 4x4 with a V-10. I'm picking up a brand new 25 Safari FB next week and will use my F-250 and/or Navigator. I have a new F-250 on order. If your heart's set on a Tundra or Nissan, check with dealers in rural areas as the imports are not nearly as popular as Ford, Dodge and Chevy with real ranchers and farmers.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote