Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #101
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Oil

What type of oils are recomended for the F-250?Could I use a sythetic type like mobil-1 or is it just better to go with what is recomended?How many quarts does one of these engines hold?I am assuming it hold around 8 quarts give or take.If it does not would Ford have accessories that would allow you to purchase a larger oil sump.
I am just thinking of what I can do to make the engine run cooler and smoother if and when I decide to purchase one of these vehicles.Also would like to here what type of upgrades some of you have done to your vehicles such as the engine and transmission.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #102
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The diesels typically hold 15 quarts or so. The have an oil/water heat exhanger and oil doesn't tend to run hot. I believe the specs on the 'o6 are different, but mine takes Delo 400 or equiv. 15W40. The appropriate diesel spec. Mobil Synthetic is Delvac One 5W40. I heard Mobil is also coming out with a "turbo diesel truck" synthetic which should be widely available.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #103
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Devoman,
My beast holds 14-15 quarts. Check out the Dieselmann this guy is a Ford Truck mechanic and has good clean info on his site. I currently use Rotella in mine because we buy it by the 55 gallon drum for other equipment and trucks around our place.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #104
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wow

That is a lot of oil.But I can understand why it would use so much as it is a pulling powerhouse of a machine.
Thank you for the site this is going to be very usefull to me in the future.So do any of you all have pics of the options or mods you have put on your vehicle to make it more usefull for yourself when going on trip?Things like mounting the generator,extra gas tank,cab on the back,bike racks,etc,etc,?

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I am just thinking of what I can do to make the engine run cooler and smoother if and when I decide to purchase one of these vehicles.Also would like to here what type of upgrades some of you have done to your vehicles such as the engine and transmission.Thanks.
I have a 2006 F250 CC Lariat FX4 PSD 6.0 with 4100 miles on it. Towing a 2005 AS 28' Safari with slideout (9100#GWR). The TV has factory engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler. I just did a 275 mi round trip to Big Sur, CA up twisty HWY 1 and averaged 11 MPG towing. I have heard from many different sources that the fuel mileage with improve at 5000-5500 miles. Highway towing I average about 13 MPG. If you get an F250, go with the tow command intergrated brake controller. I absolutely love mine. It works with the trucks computer and ABS to make trailer braking a breeze. It also uses engine braking to slow the truck on steep grades (not that you have that problem in FL).
Prior to my F250 I had a 2001 F150 5.4 V8 gas that I towed a 6700# GVR 5th wheel with. I averaged about 8-9 mpg towing. The F150 did well, but the F250 does GREAT. This rig is made to tow.
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #106
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Devoman...you asked for picts
BTW I haven't done a whole lot to it... yet...too busy spending my other bad habits

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Red 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	26807  
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 10-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #107
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I use Delo 400, or Rotella T, in the 15W40 flavor. Make sure the oil you use is rated for a turbo, most is, but there is some CC/CD oil that is not.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #108
_

. , .
hi devo, silvergate and other powerstrokers...

well devoman it is interesting reading your posts on the big ford trucks...

i'd bet a tank of petrol, that you'll end up with a new toyota tundra when they become available. it just seems to fit better.

have you been out to drive any super duties yet? it will be a shock driving such a big truck, so lots of test drives are needed just to get used to 'em.

IF you really do want a f-250 don't wait for the next model year. 06s are deeply discounted and dealers are dealin'...

as for mods...with 350hp and 550+ft/lbs torque they really don't need modding...
the factory gauges aren't real accurate so a gauge cluster would be a good first step....larger exhaust if/when the stock falls off...

mostly the mods are towing/user improvements...
bedliner, shell or lid, mudflaps, security system, gps, led lights, mirrors, window tinting, chrome and more chrome.... and so on.

i've got the factory sun roof and really like it...this would be great in flow-rid-ya too....

silvergate, you asked about care and feeding... here is what i am doing.

approaching 30k miles in 17 months of ownership. 90% towing. i've got other daily drivers....

schedule says oil change every 7.5k; more often with 'severe duty' whatever that is...

mine is changed every 5k. this is an easy rig to diy oil change but collecting and recycling 4 gallons of oil is a pia, so the dealer does it.

they mail me discount coupons for service issues...they are really good at these mailings. always seem to cover just what i'm about to service...

oil and filter is 60$ which is a pretty good deal. normal price is 90$...

i also have tires rotated at each oil change and again it is easier to have them do this for 19$. at 30 k my tire wear is very even.
allignment and balance have not needed service.

fuel filter recommendation is every 15k but because my mileage is highway, towing, good fuel and good additive i will do this every 20k.
2 filters about 90$. learn how to open the water/fuel separator and use it...

first tranny service this week (30k) flush and filter 120$ with a coupon in todays mail! regular price 160$ for this.

the suggested service intervals as posted by ford all seem reasonable so that's the schedule i'll follow. expect for oil.
with the coolant good for 100k there really isn't that much too do...belts at 100k front needle bearings at 60k and rear diff at 100k.

at some point i may switch to syn and do oil analysis for extended service intervals and to watch internal wear issues...
also will do pan off tranny service/internal filter every other time...

one thing we don't need is spark plugs....that is so cool!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi all, Since this is an F-250 thread. Do any of you have an extra fuel tank in the bed ? I have the two factory tanks but....well you get the idea, 460 gas, controlled leak into the engine. btw - I have a 1995 Ford.

I have been looking around and can't seem to find anything suitable. I have a canopy on the bed and would rather not put holes in it for a fill tube. I hate stopping for gas and while on my last trip I found out that there is a large area of my state where they only take cash for gas and then it is 3.50 plus a gallon. I was one step away from gravity pumps where I was.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi 2air’ (Welcome Back!) and others,
Thanks for detailed care and feeding instructions…
I’m sitting high and happy in this truck and want to keep it happy!
Oil change and tire rotation every 5K sounds right…
I did this with the Ranger also.
I agree service intervals suggested by Ford seem reasonable…
And help protect my Extended Warranty.
I have learned how to open the fuel/water separator…
Not all that easy crawling under that chrome step bar…
But I found that fuel filter/water separator on the frame…
And used my 6mm hex drive to loosen and tighten it.
Now if that light comes on indicating water in the fuel…
I’ll know what to do.
I’m still thinking about getting Lo-Jack installed.

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Aaron your crew cab looks a lot like my super cab.Nice ....
I am enjoying driving my 250 although it is huge and hard to maneuver in parking lots and small spaces.
It had major brake work done this week as the rears left locked up and when we checked them out the rear right had all broken hardware. The e-brake cable, the adjuster, the springs, all broken. shoes were metallic so they had to go, and the drums were badly scored. New drums, hardware, and all the rest except wheel cylinders, and the thing stops on a dime (almost) now.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #112
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation It's started already

Something new has happened, with the switch to ultra low sulphur diesel fuel, and that is that the injector pump in my truck has bit the dust already--I thought I would get a little more time out of it than the month or so that it has been since the formulation was officially switched. Hopefully the PSD pumps will not have this problem, as the pumps are kind of pricey.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
Unladen:
Around town = ~13 mpg
@ 65 mph = ~18-20 mpg

Towing the rig:
Around town = not applicable/don't ask
@ 65 mph = ~14 mpg

Keep in mind, this is with biodiesel, which has slightly less energy content than petrodiesel.

I have almost exclusively owned Toyota or Nissan passenger cars, with my prior Ford Explorer being the exception. I find the F-250 TD to be up to the same fit and finish as the imports, but with much more capacity and power. My truck is a "keeper". I am extremely satisfied with its' performance. My daily driver is a Toyota Prius hybrid.

Your mileage may vary.
I am so excited to discover someone using biodiesel. My husband and I would love to do that. How has that worked out?
Mini Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have used B100 in my F250 for a little while, its not easy to get here.
It smells so much better than regular petro diesel. It also cleans the fuel system out well.
I would use it every tank if it was a bit closer to home to fuel up. I am trying to fill both tanks on the truck so I can last longer between trips to the bio station.
I can get B20 nearer, but the B100 place guarantees their quality.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #115
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I would use it every tank if it was a bit closer to home to fuel up. I am trying to fill both tanks on the truck so I can last longer between trips to the bio station.
I can get B20 nearer, but the B100 place guarantees their quality.
Northern Tool and Supply sells 60 gallon in-bed fuel tanks, between that and the stock tanks, you would have almost 100 gallons of fuel, with a 1,000 mile cruising range. Price on the tank is not bad, either.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #116
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
F250 Diesel Mileage

Mine is a '01 7.3 diesel. I've only had it about a year. First couple of trips I got 15mpg pulling our 31' Sovereign. I also got about 15mpg commuting the 15 miles back and forth to work.

I added a bed cover and I am up to 17mpg. Pulling or not, same mileage. That still seems odd to me. I only pull at about 62mph, 2000rpm, so that might be why the mileage stays the same.

But it's not broken in yet. Only 37k miles.

It pulls the Sovereign like it is not really there and the couple of times I've gotten into a jam and needed power it accellerates like crazy.

cheers, bill b.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #117
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Northern Tool and Supply sells 60 gallon in-bed fuel tanks, between that and the stock tanks, you would have almost 100 gallons of fuel, with a 1,000 mile cruising range. Price on the tank is not bad, either.
Alan,
If you really want to spend the bucks Transfer Flow sells oversized tanks that will fit in the stock locations. With these and an in bed tank you could drive all year...but I would hate to pay for the fillup when it came

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yeah its hard to pay to fill the two I have now, 40 gallons or so.
I like the truck so far but it did set me back some bucks this week on the brakes. Now the abs light is on, and that usually means the sensor is bad. At least that is only a 20 buck part.
I am going to try and clean up the contacts first.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #119
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I like the truck so far but it did set me back some bucks this week on the brakes. Now the abs light is on, and that usually means the sensor is bad. At least that is only a 20 buck part.
I am going to try and clean up the contacts first.
Do you have RWAL or 4WAL on your truck?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #120
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Uhhuh and I typically fill up every 4 days or so Fortunately most of that cost is covered by my company. IIRC since January I have driven around 26,000 miles with about 23,000 of that paid for I used to have a company truck, but this seems to be working out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495