Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #21
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ride quality

What about things like airbags and such?Does the truck have a better suspension depending on what level of option you want or are they pretty much all the same?I really think a leveling system is one thing I would jump on as it seems very helpfull in getting things right.
Also what about gear ratio?I have read talk about the different numbers and what is good to have but what is the right ratio.If I am to go camping I will want a comfortable ride on the way there.Also I will be driving around on the beach as I surf a whole lot and highhway driving without the Airstream.I am only asking these questions because I just see a bunch of numbers on the specs.I just want to study up on how it actually works.Thanks all.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #22
_

. , .
devo

are you gonna order a truck built to specs or buy from dealer inventory?

i like the xlt or lariat trim...find one with a sunroof and you will be stylin'!

basically the psd versions are all gonna have the same gear ration....3.73

and that works great.

automatic tranny most likely too...

with less powerful engines some towing improvements come from going with 4.1 but the psd doesn't need it for towing airstreams...

springs change a little based on options that increase the truck mass and capacity so the camper shell package and off road package and 4x4 all increase spring rates...
you really don't need to worry about this for your needs...
snow plow package has spring changes too...not much need for this option in your zone...

also living in florida, you might want to consider 2x4. the 4x4 add weight and the front axle is solid...a pretty crude but effective system...and you may never need the 4x4 assist.

i would not add airbags or fiddle with the suspension until after driving and using the truck awhile....
IF the ride is too harsh for your tastes, mor-ryde makes a rubber shackle that softens the ride without affecting towing.

with your trailer a w/d hitch is needed even with the big truck....air bags will not eliminate that need.

go drive some!

i know you like the vw forums....
well the powerstroke has some great truck forums too....
and every imaginable question, option and mod gets discussed on the truck forums...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
devo

mor-ryde makes a rubber shackle that softens the ride without affecting towing.

cheers
2air'
Is anyone running mor-ryde?
I was always curious about their claims...

Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #24
_

. , .
billtex...
i'm not using them yet, but i did ride in a truck just like mine with them...it was nice. also a 1 ton dodge again nicely improved ride.

i'll probably add them next year, when my factory warranty is up. they shouldn't void the warranty but i almost always hold off of mods anyway.

now back to helping devoman get a sd/psd....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Truck ride

My PSD is a 4X4 with camper spring package. That means I have heavier front springs. A rear sway bar and overload spring on the back. Without the trailer my street and highway ride is smooth and comfortable. With the trailer its about the same cause you really don't notice the trailer is back there.

When I butt tested the cloth and leather seats I found the cloth had the comfort edge. They were a little wider and just felt better. I also got a crew cab and I gotta tell you with the fold down seats and fold open floor boards they are great! It gives you great secure storage/dog space and the rear seats hold real grown humans with tons of leg room.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
billtex...
i'm not using them yet, but i did ride in a truck just like mine with them...it was nice. also a 1 ton dodge again nicely improved ride.

i'll probably add them next year, when my factory warranty is up. they shouldn't void the warranty but i almost always hold off of mods anyway.

now back to helping devoman get a sd/psd....

cheers
2air'
Interesting...what is the ball-park $ of mor-rydes?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
BillText,
Diesels get 0 gas mileage
Did you mean diesels get infinite gas mileage? Sorry for me being confused.
Diesels get 0 gas mileage because diesels don't use gas.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Goin camping, I was thinking since diesels don't use gas you can go as long as the truck runs with diesel fuel and since you calculate MPG by dividing the numbers of miles traveled by the number of gallons used, then it stand to reason that for example 100000miles divided by 0 gallons of gas used= infinity. What is wrong with my thinking? Please advise.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Thought no one was going to catch on to that one!

I have an '05 PSD with crew cab and short bed as you can see below. I have the 3.73 rear end, 5 speed transmission, two wheel drive, front and rear sway bars, and the Lariat trim with the luxury package. You can actually get the Lariat without leather, but most people go for the leather when they spend upward of $40K for a truck.

The sway bars really make for a smooth ride and I recommend them. I think they may be an option the dealer can add, but don't quote me on that one. When you test drive new 3/4 ton trucks bear in mind that dealers often lower the air pressure to soften the ride so you will have to check that after purchase. It really affects towing handling...I know from experience...and will affect ride when the proper tire pressure is added.

I live in Atlanta and if you have ever driven in Atlanta traffic you know 75 MPH is the norm and I get 17-18 MPG's on my daily commute and 20+ on interstate driving without the Airstream. With it I get between 12.5-13 MPG's. When we camp we have two adults, two elementary school aged boys, and a cocker spaniel plus a cooler, pic-nic basket of snacks, two portable DVD players and a bin full of DVD's. There is plenty of room in that crew cab.

I really enjoy towing my 30' Safari with my F-250 PSD. I have towed quiet a bit in the mountains and on mountain interstates this summer and really look forward to it. I set the cruise control for interstate speeds and don't have to worry about mountains or elevations.

No one has discussed the built-in brake controler. I really like mine. No worries. The system is tied into the master cylinder on the truck so as long as you have truck, brakes you have trailer brakes...barring electrical problems of course. If I understood correctly, if I get into a anti-lock braking scenario, the controler will also pulse the trailer brakes to help prevent jack knifing. It doesn't create anti-lock brakes on the Airstream, but it simulates them and helps prevent trailer skidding. So far, I haven't found out how effective that is, but at least going into an emergency situation, I will have one less thing to worry about.

I also like having the extendable mirrors. You can add a similar product to any of the competition, but I like the fact that I didn't have to add them. The mirrors are large, power adjustable (but not power extendable) and have independent pano mirrors built in. I feel that I have virtually no blind spots without the trailer and can really see where the trailer is when towing down the road. Backing...well, I'm still getting used to that.

I know I will have my F-250 for many years and many thousands of miles to come. And the next tow vehicle will probably be another 3/4 ton Ford truck, but who knows what will be on the market in 2015!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Devo,
I just looked at a 2001 f250 diesel xl with only 60k miles sunday a week ago. It has 2 gas tanks with a total of 60 gallons, full side steps, extendable mirrors, $1600 bed covers with 3 doors and in mint condition except for a dime size bent on top of bed corner. It has a 2 years transferable warranty on trans.
Forgot new michelin tires in front and other goodies. I was going to buy it but medical problems just surfaced in family. The guy is asking 18k. He sold his immaculate 2000 AIRSTREAM last week here in SC and is travelling back to florida. He told me it will be listed in the Blue Beret october issue. I can dig up his phone number maybe.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Goin camping, I was thinking since diesels don't use gas you can go as long as the truck runs with diesel fuel and since you calculate MPG by dividing the numbers of miles traveled by the number of gallons used, then it stand to reason that for example 100000miles divided by 0 gallons of gas used= infinity. What is wrong with my thinking? Please advise.
FrenchBern-you are approaching hydrogen fuel cell philosophy...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
FrenchBern-you are approaching hydrogen fuel cell philosophy...
Be the fuel......

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
I have a 7.3 psd w/banks package. Towing @60 I get 15-16 hwy, I figure I lose about 1 mpg for every 4mph above that. Without the trailer, I get about 22 @65, down to about 16 around town. If I cruise @ 80, I'm down to about 18mpg. I love the truck. It's comfortable, heavy, leather is great, nice sound system. When I tow, I have to look in the mirror to make sure it's still there. The only thing I can say is, stay away from the newer 6.0, or wait for the new 6.7. I got that from a retired Ford exec, and a couple of mechanics. I would highly recomend it.
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #34
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Ford Diesel

We currently have a F250 Harley davidson edition. We tow a 28foot CCD and put the Harley in the bed. We get around 10mpg fully loaded and towing. I try to stay around 65mph any faster and the gas milage really takes a nose dive.

If you have not got your truck yet I would hold off . Ford has a new diesel in the pipeline that should come out in the 08 model year. The new engine is a twin turbo and I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small tow rig.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	26335  
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
The only thing I can say is, stay away from the newer 6.0, or wait for the new 6.7. I got that from a retired Ford exec, and a couple of mechanics. I would highly recomend it.
I can second (or third) that statement. If you want a brand-new truck, wait for the new engine. Patience, Grasshopper.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
F-250

I have not got anything as of yet.I am still in the works of searching for the right vehicle.It may take a year or two.two or more if I decide to see what this twin turbo deal is up to.Before I purchase anything I just want to make sure I am spending the money wisely as this will be only for towing so it will not really be drivin a whole lot but rather just collecting dust when not in use.I would drive it accasionally though to keep its gears oiled.I will have the other vehicle to drive around.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Once you drive one of these, you'll never go back to that VW. And the women with big hair will never leave you alone.
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, Since you asked. In reality you would get about three to five miles per gallon of gas in your Diesel; Before your engine is destroyed. As for your infinity theory, infinity would not stop at 100,000 miles. Infinity goes on forever.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #39
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Thread Hijack with question for ITOWAIR

I've got a F-150 SuperCab with the 6.5 ft bed and a HD Dresser. Wife and I would love to be able to take the HD with us when we travel. How do you fit your HD in the bed and still tow the AS? I've seen people put them in on a diagonal but the Dresser REALLY needs alot of room and I'd need to have the gate down in order to accomplish this. Gate won't clear the electric jack motor.
Any thoughts/suggestions???
Thanks
FT
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck
I've got a F-150 SuperCab with the 6.5 ft bed and a HD Dresser. Wife and I would love to be able to take the HD with us when we travel. How do you fit your HD in the bed and still tow the AS? I've seen people put them in on a diagonal but the Dresser REALLY needs alot of room and I'd need to have the gate down in order to accomplish this. Gate won't clear the electric jack motor.
Any thoughts/suggestions???
Thanks
FT
Remove the gate?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote