Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Bill, I bought the truck at 2 yrs old with 41,700 miles on it.
Obviously, I have already made the decision to not trade, but do the repairs and drive it some more.
Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock is one of the largest parts distributors for GM in the nation. They are the source of the info on the OEM filter only being 7 microns. I will have to double check exactly what specs are on that filter at the dealer. I know the CAT filter is 2 microns and cost $17.75 each out the door instead of $55.10 for the OEM filter, so I am not unhappy about the secondary system from Nicktane.com.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I was going from memory...maybe GM went from 10 to 7 microns...it's been several years ago, and some of the sectors of my carbon based hard drive have fallen out of service. I'll look into it.

The only published bulletin I find is from 3/09 and doesn't give that level of detail.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #203
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Carry and extra filter. One load of dirty fuel and you'll be dead in the water.
We went camping with the family over New Years weekend. My brother-in-law got a slug of bad gas and limped all the way home going 40mph. Tuesday we went to dinner with friends that just got back from Glamis Dunes. He got a slug of dirty diesel somewhere and paid $75 for a fuel filter in the middle of nowhere. Someones trying to tell me something so I ordered a spare (set) to carry under the seat.

Home - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
One of the old time urban legend/myths that IS REALLY TRUE....If a tanker is at the station filling the tanks, move on down the road to next station.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
One of the old time urban legend/myths that IS REALLY TRUE....If a tanker is at the station filling the tanks, move on down the road to next station.

and if the tanker pulled away 5 minutes before you pulled in, you still get bit if their tanks are not clean and filtered on the uptake.

AIR # 410
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
and if the tanker pulled away 5 minutes before you pulled in, you still get bit if their tanks are not clean and filtered on the uptake.
That's true! Luck of the draw, sometimes. Gasoline can be the same sometimes.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #207
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
I went stupid

I did not feel comfortable pulling my 31 foot very far with the GMC 1500. Besides the transmission fell out not pulling anything so I had concerns. I saw a new 2500 HD Denali with a Duramax diesel. Didn't even drive it but made the deal mostly for the Allison. In30 seconds fell in love with it. Soon I hope to hook the AS and see how the torque works. Planning on many good miles. As a first time Diesel guy with no knowledge any recommendations on the best oil to run in a diesel. I have always used Casteroil but this is a new game for me. Thanks for information.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT
I did not feel comfortable pulling my 31 foot very far with the GMC 1500. Besides the transmission fell out not pulling anything so I had concerns. I saw a new 2500 HD Denali with a Duramax diesel. Didn't even drive it but made the deal mostly for the Allison. In30 seconds fell in love with it. Soon I hope to hook the AS and see how the torque works. Planning on many good miles. As a first time Diesel guy with no knowledge any recommendations on the best oil to run in a diesel. I have always used Casteroil but this is a new game for me. Thanks for information.

Rotella 15-40. I am at 238,000 and going strong.
Only issues I have had are fuel filtering related. Consider adding secondary fuel filtration to 2 microns minimum ASAP to avoid dirty fuel related problems.

AIR # 410
Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #209
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Not stupid...the difference from the little 1/2 ton will be night/day.

I run Rotella full syn and get ~ 10k mi between changes according to the DIC. Those are towing/hauling miles...our truck is not a daily driver. Could extend that with secondary filter and analysis...but I am too lazy...

Congrats on the DuraMax/Alli...you will love it.

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #210
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Rotella 15-40 on my '05 since new.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #211
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT
Rotella 15W40 since new...changed every 5,000 with a new Mobil1 filter. Just under 210,00 miles.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #212
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Rotella T6 5W-40. Engine turns over easier even in hot South Texas.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #213
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Thanks for the advice

Seems like Rotella is used a lot especially in big trucks, I think I will. I recently turned(made it to) 62. The reason I purchased the truck, really the Duramax is the America the Beautiful park pass. This summer I hope to hit as many National Parks around the country as I can hold up to. I want something that will keep going as long as I feed it fuel and good preventivative maintenance. Thanks again. I see I have much to learn from the pro's.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
Bill, I bought the truck at 2 yrs old with 41,700 miles on it.
Obviously, I have already made the decision to not trade, but do the repairs and drive it some more.
Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock is one of the largest parts distributors for GM in the nation. They are the source of the info on the OEM filter only being 7 microns. I will have to double check exactly what specs are on that filter at the dealer. I know the CAT filter is 2 microns and cost $17.75 each out the door instead of $55.10 for the OEM filter, so I am not unhappy about the secondary system from Nicktane.com.

I finally got an answer to the filter medium size. A bunch of folks retired and they had to go back through some engineering work orders to find what I needed. About 6 years ago ALL oem (dealer procured) as well as AC DELCO DuraMax diesel fuel filters went from 10 microns to 4 microns. All parts stock inventory was purged at that time.

The dealer info you got (7 microns) is INCORRECT.

If you are buying aftermarket....check size. 4 microns MAX is recommended. Carry a spare.

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc