Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
GM has a good multipoint inspection sheet you can download and print copies of here.
http://www.goodwrench.com/_res/pdf/M...ectionForm.pdf
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Mileage range ... 26 gallons

Ok .... Slightly different topic related to the Chevy Duramax.

One of the few complaints I have about this truck is the small fuel tank. I wish it were around 35 or 40 gallons. I understand there are after market tanks that you can buy and replace the OEM tank, but it looks like they sell for $1000+. What is wrong with just getting two or three 5 gallon fuel cans? I know you would have to stop and get out of the truck to fill up, but that inconvenience is a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a new tank.

If you are going to carry fuel in the back of your pickup, what do you need to be careful about?

Interested in your comments.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We went on a long trip last summer (almost 15K miles) which included Alaska, and that's exactly what we did...we took two 5 gallon cans of Diesel fuel with us. We had to use it once also, when the station I was counting on was out of Diesel.

I agree, the fuel tank should be bigger.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #84
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchleff View Post

One of the few complaints I have about this truck is the small fuel tank. I wish it were around 35 or 40 gallons. I understand there are after market tanks that you can buy and replace the OEM tank, but it looks like they sell for $1000+. What is wrong with just getting two or three 5 gallon fuel cans? I know you would have to stop and get out of the truck to fill up, but that inconvenience is a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a new tank.

If you are going to carry fuel in the back of your pickup, what do you need to be careful about?

The new model has a larger tank standard...34 gals? Not sure...

Lots of Folks do add the after market tank..but I agree...I can do a lot of other fun stuff with $1k.

I have carried a 6 gal diesel jug when going to some remote locations. At 15 mpg towing, this will get us a good 75 miles...
We have never needed it though...
Deezul has a higher flash point than gas, so it is not particularly dangerous to carry...

As far as highway mileage...I usually need some caffeine and/or pee stop after 300 miles or so anyway...this is just about when I want to fill the tank (1/4)...so the small tank has not been much of an issue.

But I agree, given a choice...bigger is better. At least for an OEM tank.

Bill
Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Our 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel has a 34 gallon tank. Fill 'er up, and the range is almost 750 miles.

Thanks for those who wrote about using Stanadyne Lubricity Formula---my first case is delivered today. Someone posted this study: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

And after reading it, I get it: My 2003 has injector problems because the engineers who designed it expected much better diesel fuel lubricity than the Ultra Low Sulphur now required provides. Hoping that starting this at 130,000 will at least forestall the inevitable injector issues the LB7 sometimes has.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #86

gilmer , Texas
Hi folks,new guy here.We have 03 GMC 3/4 crew long bed DuraMax and was wondering how big an Airstream for these is max?I'm looking at a 31 & a 34 ft.I'm sure the 31 no problem but is the 34 safe with this truck or do you need the dually?
sayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #87
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoung View Post
Hi folks,new guy here.We have 03 GMC 3/4 crew long bed DuraMax and was wondering how big an Airstream for these is max?I'm looking at a 31 & a 34 ft.I'm sure the 31 no problem but is the 34 safe with this truck or do you need the dually?
No Airstream trailer (except perhaps the few 5th-wheels ever made) really needs a dually. Your truck will tow any Airstream trailer. Friends with 6.0 gassers tow 34s quite successfully.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #88

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoung View Post
You're covered as far as Airstreams go. You can tow any and all comers.

By the way, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #89
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Someone can correct me but I believe the heaviest Airstreams -- loaded all the way -- don't get above 11k.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

holden beach , North Carolina
Send a message via MSN to Tom-Mc
{Good MPG 22} is that pulling your trailer ? SS CHANGER post
Tom-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChanger View Post
Our 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel has a 34 gallon tank. Fill 'er up, and the range is almost 750 miles.

Thanks for those who wrote about using Stanadyne Lubricity Formula---my first case is delivered today. Someone posted this study: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

And after reading it, I get it: My 2003 has injector problems because the engineers who designed it expected much better diesel fuel lubricity than the Ultra Low Sulphur now required provides. Hoping that starting this at 130,000 will at least forestall the inevitable injector issues the LB7 sometimes has.
SS, I gotta tell ya, there are no issues with the new ultra low suflur fuels. They have all the additives the Max needs. You are spending unnecessary $$. Your injector issues were not the result of lack of lubricity, but the result of Bosch delivering injectors of the wrong metal alloy. The injector bodies were too soft, resulting in a crushed fuel return check ball seat and thus, high fuel return rates, and potentially cracked injector bodies. I have seen ZERO low sulfur fuel issues since it's inception. But, HEY, if it makes you feel better....go ahead.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Mc View Post
{Good MPG 22} is that pulling your trailer ? SS CHANGER post
Wish it were! That's with no load. Pulling the trailer [an 8500lb 30' Excella] it's routinely 14/15 mpg, which is very good to me.

The 2003-2006(?) LB7 Duramax is one of the best for miles per gallon according to what folks have written here. The Achilles Heel is the injection system, a Bosch product. Some have suggested adding the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to each tank. At about a buck a tank, it makes me feel like I'm doing something good, so I do that.

Love the truck: would/will buy another when the time comes...
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
SS, I gotta tell ya, there are no issues with the new ultra low suflur fuels. They have all the additives the Max needs. You are spending unnecessary $$. Your injector issues were not the result of lack of lubricity, but the result of Bosch delivering injectors of the wrong metal alloy. The injector bodies were too soft, resulting in a crushed fuel return check ball seat and thus, high fuel return rates, and potentially cracked injector bodies. I have seen ZERO low sulfur fuel issues since it's inception. But, HEY, if it makes you feel better....go ahead.

Good to know. At 130K miles now. Heard about a fellow Duramax LB7 with 160K who is ready to replace the injectors...just out of warranty too [it's a Law of the Universe--whatever goes wrong probably will go wrong the day after the warranty expires...but the glass is still half-full! I'm an optimist: I used to think "This couldn't get worse..." now I'm sure they can!]
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChanger View Post
Wish it were! That's with no load. Pulling the trailer [an 8500lb 30' Excella] it's routinely 14/15 mpg, which is very good to me.

The 2003-2006(?) LB7 Duramax is one of the best for miles per gallon according to what folks have written here. The Achilles Heel is the injection system, a Bosch product. Some have suggested adding the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula to each tank. At about a buck a tank, it makes me feel like I'm doing something good, so I do that.

Love the truck: would/will buy another when the time comes...
For what it's worth, the LB7 motor was available 2001 to about mid 2004 when I think the LLY motor (310hp/590-605ft/lbs) took over thru most of 2006. The LBZ motor is one of the most popular and came out in late 2006 and early 2007. It had a lot of improvements over earlier motors including stronger bottom end and a 32-bit computer controller with a high performance factory tune (360hp/605ft/lbs). Then they went to the LMM and new LML motors. Each succeeding one had more emission controls. As has been mentioned, the 2006 year was the first for the Ally 6-speed (LLY and LBZ motor). You can tell your motor by the 8th digit of the VIN; 1=LB7, 2=LLY, D=LBZ. Each has their fan base but most will agree (at least on this thread!) that the Duramax/Ally is a great truck.

Rich
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #95
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Fuel tank size

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchleff View Post

One of the few complaints I have about this truck is the small fuel tank. I wish it were around 35 or 40 gallons.

The long bed model does have the 34 gallon tank. More room underneath for the larger tank.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #96

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I just don't understand why GM doesn't put a higher capacity fuel tank in the Duramax pick-ups. I an currently researching for the purchase of a new Duramax 3500 long bed. There is an aftermaketeer that makes a 56 gallon replacement fuel tank for a long bed Duramax. The company is called Transfer Flow (Transfer Flow Fuel Tank Systems). These replacement tanks go for about $1000. Why can't GM do this to start with?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I just don't understand why GM doesn't put a higher capacity fuel tank in the Duramax pick-ups. I an currently researching for the purchase of a new Duramax 3500 long bed. There is an aftermaketeer that makes a 56 gallon replacement fuel tank for a long bed Duramax. The company is called Transfer Flow (Transfer Flow Fuel Tank Systems). These replacement tanks go for about $1000. Why can't GM do this to start with?

Brian
Titan Fuel Tanks makes the one I covet. Made of some kind of crosslinked polyethylene supper tough plastic. About $1100 plus install or do-it-yourself. Would love to put one in my '06 short bed crewcab.

Rich
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
A larger fuel tank wouldn't change my typical day of towing. I'd still make the same number of rest stops. And since my truck is not my daily driver, I haven't filled up for 90 days. So having extra diesel fuel sitting in the garage wouldn't be good. I had a half-ton truck with an aux tank that was my daily driver. But I didn't fill both tanks at the same time even then -- just alternated tanks to keep the fuel fresh. So I think the 26-gal tank is about right.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's the first I've heard of a problem with the metal alloy used by Bosch. I had to replace the injectors on my 2003 GMC at about 50,000 miles (---in 2007, as I recall) and I've often wondered if the new injectors were any different from the old??? I was told by several people that all GM was doing at the time was using "rebuilt" injectors - but others said "no" - they were using new injectors. I have 80,000 plus on the odometer now and, of course, everything is out of warranty. On the other hand, if I'm unlucky and have to replace another set of injectors - at my expense - it still won't faze my love for this truck!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
That's the first I've heard of a problem with the metal alloy used by Bosch. I had to replace the injectors on my 2003 GMC at about 50,000 miles (---in 2007, as I recall) and I've often wondered if the new injectors were any different from the old??? I was told by several people that all GM was doing at the time was using "rebuilt" injectors - but others said "no" - they were using new injectors. I have 80,000 plus on the odometer now and, of course, everything is out of warranty. On the other hand, if I'm unlucky and have to replace another set of injectors - at my expense - it still won't faze my love for this truck!!!
They were new. The old injector part numbers were purged from the parts system back in 03 and no rebuilts were used. I don't even think remans for ANY injectors are available from GM....maybe the aftermarket. The bodies of the wrong alloy injectors either demonstrated crushed fuel return check ball seats resulting in high fuel return rates (most common), or cracked bodies, resulting in external leak. This is not news, it's all in the bulletin published in 03 or 04.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chev, duramax, gmc