Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
POI...the last time I toed "dry" was on the way home from the dealer.

I've tried to find the rear axle weight rating for the 150 without success, as noted above that would be my biggest concern.

Bob
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
we've had the pleasure of driving six F150's since Ford introduced the Supercab model in 1996, and pulling our Airstreams with them for the last three years. they've performed well and and have been comfortable and reliable for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
After much research I’ve narrowed down my preferences for my truck. As equipped above it lists at $42,790 and the dealer is offering it at $300.00 over invoice.
a good offer from the dealer, I think. check the PM I sent you - I have an idea that might help you answer your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

As a truck is the least desirable vehicle from the standpoint of road performance and safety....
I respectfully disagree, based upon my many years as a professional rescuer. as or more important than the vehicle itself are the skills, competence, and judgement of the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

So a non-truck SUV of the proper sort is just as good a choice, IMO, and more likely to have qualities while solo that make it superior to a 1/2T truck. A Ford Flex is an example.
as a matter of fact, we love our Flex! a great vehicle to drive! Ford rates it for a trailer at 4500 GVW and 450 TW.

what it will really do is another discussion, but if you'd like to, ask Andrew T for his opinions. better than that, ask Andrew T for his actual experience.

we're planning on using a Flex for a transcontinental ten-thousand mile caravan in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

"max payload of 1900 lbs" Be aware, that includes EVERYTHING?

Regardless of your Truck's GCWR.... I believe you will be over the RGAWR from the git go after you load all your groceries, and stuff for your trip.
the good news / bad news reality is that the numbers, although very important, are not necessarily the final arbiter of actual performance and capability.

ymmv.

and, Happy Holidays to all,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
My 2010 F150 5.4 Supercrew 4x4 max tow 5.5 bed pulls my 28ft CCD just fine and safely with a good equalizer hitch it handles the tongue weight properly.Watch everything that you buy for the trailer with one thing in mind...Weight.Every ounce adds up.The 2009 and up F150 are a completely different animal from previous year trucks when it comes to towing.Ecoboost is a new thing and so-far so good but a V6 is still a V6 even with @ turbo's hanging on the side.No substitute for cubic inches and yes size does matter..........

Avg 9.9 mpg loaded.13.5 city unloaded 19 mpg hwy unloaded.
I agree with everything you say except...

"a V6 is still a V6 even with @ turbo's hanging on the side. No substitute for cubic inches and yes size does matter"

That's old school thinking. The 5.4 and ecoboost are pretty evenly matched if you look at the specs, but the turbos will leave you behind and gasping for air at altitude.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
"max payload of 1900 lbs" Be aware, that includes EVERYTHING? Passengers, dog, stuff in bed, driver, AND Tongue weight. Please don't make the mistake and lighten the tongue weight to reduce TV rear axle load!!!!! It must be a MINIMUM of 10% of total trailer weight and should be closer to 15%.

Regardless of your Truck's GCWR (and I still think you will quickly arrive close to 17,000lbs, I was 15,500 last time over the scales) I believe you will be over the RGAWR from the git go after you load all your groceries, and stuff for your trip.
i'm the only passenger (single ladies are you taking notes ;-) )
no pets.
the truck bed is usually pretty empty.
and i won't play games to get it to work weight wise.
i don't have much in the way of ' heavy stuff '.
groceries can be purchased at my destinations.
i'm more of a campground guy so i'll run with all the tanks pretty dry.

thanks for reminding me of the big picture :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ricky, if you're going solo then definitely go for the rear camera. You don't need the nav, it's in the rear view mirror. Much faster and easier than having someone directing you!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

i'm the only passenger (single ladies are you taking notes ;-) )
no pets.
the truck bed is usually pretty empty.
and i won't play games to get it to work weight wise.
i don't have much in the way of ' heavy stuff '.
groceries can be purchased at my destinations.
i'm more of a campground guy so i'll run with all the tanks pretty dry.

thanks for reminding me of the big picture :-)
Do you know anyone with a half ton (any brand) who would hook up your trailer and run to the scales? Although it wouldn't be exact, you could emulate your running loads and get a pretty close idea of RGAW and GCW. All the half tons are within a few hundred pounds of each other..
If you can do this, take the time to ensure proper tongue weight and WD setup. Might help answer a lot of your questions. Maybe your dealer has a half ton demo???

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Why do people ask for advice when their mind is already made up? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Why do people ask for advice when their mind is already made up? Sal.
Because he asked for help building his 2012 Ford 150 and only a very few answered the question. No one has called him nuts or dangerous yet even through he has pointed out he is within specs, but the thread is still young.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Do you know anyone with a half ton (any brand) who would hook up your trailer and run to the scales? Although it wouldn't be exact, you could emulate your running loads and get a pretty close idea of RGAW and GCW. All the half tons are within a few hundred pounds of each other..
If you can do this, take the time to ensure proper tongue weight and WD setup. Might help answer a lot of your questions. Maybe your dealer has a half ton demo???
i had all the contents from my old trailer in a storage unit. since i personally packed and unpacked the unit i can reasonably estimate the contents weight to be between 1,000 and 1,500 pounds. i'll be taking some things out before i leave miami. there are still some items that will be given away or tossed.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Because he asked for help building his 2012 Ford 150 and only a very few answered the question. No one has called him nuts or dangerous yet even through he has pointed out he is within specs, but the thread is still young.

doug k
Yes, but before any truck can be spec'ed, a qualified truck guy MUST know how it is to be used, including loads and trailering data.

THEN and ONLY THEN can you properly spec a truck. From what I know so far....I can't begin to spec a half ton from available options because I don't have DATA to know if to start from a half ton perspective or a 3/4 ton perspective. Opinions are just that, and everyone has one. I believe in specific and accurate data and the specs to support the data.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
i had all the contents from my old trailer in a storage unit. since i personally packed and unpacked the unit i can reasonably estimate the contents weight to be between 1,000 and 1,500 pounds. i'll be taking some things out before i leave miami. there are still some items that will be given away or tossed.
Maybe I missed something???? you're now trailerless and the contents, new trailer and perspective new truck are in different places in the country?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Rich,
FWIW my '10 F 150 truck w/ full 36 gal gas tank, 2 bicycles, quite a few tools, Weber Q small grill, etc. and me weighed 6,960#. Truck & trailer mentioned in previous post, was right at 16,000#.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well, a Ύ ton would still be my first pick, and I have the lightest 34 ever built. Be that as it may, the thing that got me curious is:
Quote:
California emissions pkg. (NY registration)
Why? Seems like they are an entire continent apart. Has NY suddenly joined CA?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Well, a Ύ ton would still be my first pick, and I have the lightest 34 ever built. Be that as it may, the thing that got me curious is:

Why? Seems like they are an entire continent apart. Has NY suddenly joined CA?
Several NE states have emissions requirements different than Federal just like CA. Some of those states just adopted the CA standards and some have what is usually known as Northeast Emissions.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Several NE states have emissions requirements different than Federal just like CA. Some of those states just adopted the CA standards and some have what is usually known as Northeast Emissions.
Thanks, I wondered if that was the case.

Hasn't spread to the Mid-South yet, but I haven't been new TV shopping either.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
thanks for all the replies. here is some more info.

the 34 is 8000 dry with a tongue weight of 800. it has dual air conditioners and i think that lightens the tongue weight a bit. this combination is already longer than my garage and will sometimes be used around town. the short bed will fill my needs and i want the 4 doors. i've had a dakota pickup with a 6-1/2 ft bed for 20 years and it suits me fine. the shorter bed will keep me from doing things i really should not be doing. i just wish it was lower.

the current f-150 is more truck than the earlier years with more power, braking, size and payload. i believe i'm within towing ratings of gcwr 17,100, max trailer weight of 11,200 lbs. and max payload of 1900 lbs.

Model: 2011 - 34' CLASSIC LIMITED TRAVEL TRAILER

CHASSIS
11,500# GVWR • 11,400# Axle System • 7858# UBW • 3642# NCC • Aluminum Wheels • 15" Radial Black Wall Tires, LRD • 12" Electric Drum Brakes w/ Nev-R-Adjust Brakes & Nev-R-Lube Hubs • Electric Hitch Jack • Manual Stabilizer Jack w/Pads • Aluminum Step w/Extension • Stainless Steel A-Frame Protectors • Spare Tire & Bracket.

.... experience tells me that the 800lb tongue weight is way under what it will be ready to tow. You'll notice above there is no mention of TW in the specs.
AS lists the TW for the 31 at 805lbs, full LPG w/o options water and equipment.
Our 25 Classic was listed as 750lbs and was well over 1125 with full LPG, FW, clothes and stuff for two adults, un-hitched, weighed with a Sherline scale.
(Note.... good towing info on their website.)

I think the TW will be over 1000lbs. At least 875-900 with WD adjusted.

Soundz like your mind is made up so please keep everyone posted.

Bob
Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Maybe I missed something???? you're now trailerless and the contents, new trailer and perspective new truck are in different places in the country?
sorry for the confusion. i had a '94 34' and now have a 2011. the contents were in storage during the transition. the trailer is in miami and the truck is still in the planning stages.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

sorry for the confusion. i had a '94 34' and now have a 2011. the contents were in storage during the transition. the trailer is in miami and the truck is still in the planning stages.
Boy, I'd sure like to see you load up the new AS and borrow a truck to take to to the scales. Then talk about your new truck.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Model: 2011 - 34' CLASSIC LIMITED TRAVEL TRAILER

CHASSIS
11,500# GVWR • 11,400# Axle System • 7858# UBW • 3642# NCC • Aluminum Wheels • 15" Radial Black Wall Tires, LRD • 12" Electric Drum Brakes w/ Nev-R-Adjust Brakes & Nev-R-Lube Hubs • Electric Hitch Jack • Manual Stabilizer Jack w/Pads • Aluminum Step w/Extension • Stainless Steel A-Frame Protectors • Spare Tire & Bracket.

.... experience tells me that the 800lb tongue weight is way under what it will be ready to tow. You'll notice above there is no mention of TW in the specs.
AS lists the TW for the 31 at 805lbs, full LPG w/o options water and equipment.
Our 25 Classic was listed as 750lbs and was well over 1125 with full LPG, FW, clothes and stuff for two adults, un-hitched, weighed with a Sherline scale.
(Note.... good towing info on their website.)

I think the TW will be over 1000lbs. At least 875-900 with WD adjusted.

Soundz like your mind is made up so please keep everyone posted.

Bob
bob, if my mind was made up i wouldn't have bothered to post.

i'll drag out the bathroom scale tomorrow unless Northern Tools has a scale. i was "told" by the dealer that the tongue weights are 'actuals' done by the factory now. the scale will tell.

if i can borrow a truck i'll run it up to the scales. i know my 94 dakota would be slightly overloaded :P
Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
over the next few days i'll see if i can get a weight from a similar vehicle. there aren't many 2012's on the lots yet.

Tags
f-150