Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
You don't need a large vehicle to pull your Bambi - but you do need to pull within it's capacity limits As you approach the capacity of the tow vehicle your choice of hitch takes on larger importance.
Jay
I believe these are key statements by Jay.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin

This is our second option if our tow vehicle does not work out.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
boutd... hope that 3 wheel camper rig has a 350 rated chassis under it!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
TV as accessory

My wife had an interesting comment. She said that you should consider just how good your proposed TV and your Airstream look together. After all, she said, a TV is just an accessory, like a purse or a pair of shoes. It's not always about specs and power.

Send us a picture when you decide.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We tow our 19' Bambi with a Honda Ridgeline. It rides and drives like a car but pulls when you need it. Given Toyota's recent problem with not being very good friends with the truth, I would be hard pressed to purchase one of their vehicles.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
We tow our 19' Bambi with a Honda Ridgeline. It rides and drives like a car but pulls when you need it. Given Toyota's recent problem with not being very good friends with the truth, I would be hard pressed to purchase one of their vehicles.
If your smart about it Toyotas are still great vehicles. We just picked up a V6 manual Tacoma to pull our 16'. If you can drive a manual there is no way that the recent problems will affect your car/truck. I have been driving Toyota vehicles since 1996 and have never had a problem with them.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Sorry but I haven't read every posting on this thread but thought it was time for me to chime in. I pulled my 21 ft. SOB with a V8 4Runner without incident for years. Fully loaded it came in close to 5K and I live up here in the pacific northwest. Have driven lots of mountainous routes and it performed quite well. The 4Runner is built on the Tacoma chasis and is not a unibody construction.

A Ford 150 will pull your trailer just fine if you want to go in that direction. It is nice to have access to a pick up for other reasons, but that is just my perception. Getting information from the forums is a good thing but getting too much can really complicate matters. I am sure you will make the right decision, if you haven't already.

By the way, the other forum I used to follow would get right down nasty when this topic would come up. The guys here are, by and large, handing out useful tips and leaving out all the political garbage.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Rambler: Let's hope that Honda's not next on the hit list! (We have an Element)
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #69
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This thread has the look of all tow vehicle threads, and I won't add my bias to the mix. But the best thing to do is to check reasonably objective sources—Consumer Reports for reliability ratings (they don't care for trucks, that's their bias), statistics on tow ratings, payload, etc., for all the possible vehicles you are thinking of. There are lots of sources for stats—manufacturer's brochures and online, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, for ex. Edmunds website also has some ratings and discussions of vehicles. There are plenty of other sources.

It's good to get something you feel comfortable in, so just keep checking it out. The right vehicle for your trailer and you means a lot. It should have a tow package.

Good luck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have towed plenty of trailers with all kinds of tow vehicles over the last 25 years.my preference is to have a vehicle that is not lighter then the trailer i am towing.i have done this in the past and it doesnt make for a stress free tow.also as pointed out on this forum the hitch setup is as equally important.pulling is usually not the issue,however stopping the load can be a major issue.i have had trailers in the past that would push the tow vehicle while skidding in a panic stop.this can be avoided with the proper setup.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
my preference is to have a vehicle that is not lighter then the trailer i am towing.
Good thing all those big rigs on the road don't abide by this rule...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicles