Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Question for all those with trucks as TVs

Do you prefer a truck box or camper shell for longer trips and why?

We are looking at camper shells, but I am thinking we may be able to get by with a truck box or two. My only real concern is locking up expensive items like generators, etc. I am not interested in tonneau covers because they limit the height of the items you can carry and I would like to be able to have everything we need without the extra mass of the camper shell. Any thoughts are appreciated.
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would go with a shell. They make them today with access from the side which would be great if you are hitched up. Might be a little tough getting to big items though.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, we have what you don't want -- a hard tonneau (ARI) with a remote lock. Keeps our stuff out of sight and the weather. Can also run the generator in there with the top down but the tailgate open if it is raining. Top comes off in 10 minutes (although it is a two person operation) if we need to but so far haven't needed to.

In four years and 40,000 miles we have never had a problem with an item being too tall to fit under the tonneau. We don't carry near the stuff we used to, found we didn't need most of it.

We didn't go with a camper shell because most have windows which offer a tempting look to those who may be up to no good. Why advertise?

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Hi Tyrinius - my answer is in my avatar...

A canopy keeps rain & snow off my gear, is pet-friendly, is lockable (so's my tailgate) and allows for hauling of larger items than a tonneau or truck boxes. The height of it also nearly equals the height of my AS, so I have good aerodynamics on the road. The smoked windows make it hard to see what's inside, but I think any box or cover just "keeps the honest person honest"... a determined thief can break into almost anything if they want to.

Drawbacks from my perspective: If you are often hauling ATV's, motorcycles, junk to the dump, etc., then a canopy is not always great. Mine though has 4 clamps holding it and can be removed by 3 people in under 10 minutes. Also, getting stuff in and out of the truck - you can't stand up full-height, so it can be more awkward unloading heavy, large items.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have had a camper shell before with no challenges from prying eyes. May get one again one of these days. We tend to "kitsch it up" when we go camping and bring the Adirondack chairs. They are tall and a shell would help protect them.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrinius View Post
We are looking at camper shells, but I am thinking we may be able to get by with a truck box or two. My only real concern is locking up expensive items like generators, etc. I am not interested in tonneau covers because they limit the height of the items you can carry and I would like to be able to have everything we need without the extra mass of the camper shell. Any thoughts are appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The shell is your best bet, the one that gets higher as you go from the cab to the tailgate, creates a wind lift over the trailer, Height for larger items, Best to not have windows or tint them, drawback is that if you have something of value back there it is not hard to get to it with a simple screwdriver. What I did is have the topper and then get inside tool boxes that fit inside the bed walls and only take up the space that is lost to the wheel well anyways, these are lockable and can be enhanced to make them almost virtually impossible to get into without causing alot of noise and drawing attention which is what crimanals do not want. I also installed a heavy duty hinge on the front with shock assist lifters which made it where I can lift the topper for larger items.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I prefer a "Box Truck" for a tow vehicle.

I call it my rolling garage, but than again, I'm a full timer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASinUT.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	99325  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
I recommend the shell also. I consider it my garage or basement where I can keep things dry and somewhat clean. Rather than a spray-on coating, I installed a thick cargo mat which is a little easier on the knees if I need to crawl inside, which I seldom need to do. I can retrieve almost everything using the 5' awning hook from my SOB. It can easily pull forward and push back most items. I seldom lock the shell as the glass in the shell costs more than most items inside. The generator is always chained.

Two items that always take up a lot of storage space are lawn chairs and bikes. They take up less room if stored vertically, so I made a rack for both, an open box affair for the chairs and front fork clamp for the bike. This still leaves plenty of room for the jack and wheel cribbing, firewood (local only), water jerry cans, gas container for the generator, extra diesel container, a step stool, and a few too many more items. I keep my tools locked up inside the cab.

I'm not sure how useful the hinged side windows are as the sides of the pickup boxes are so high in recent years making it hard to reach inside without a step ladder. I'd go with the awning hook.

Good luck,

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I like the shell ,mine steps up as it goes back,and should help the air flow over the trailer.I also ordered it with the side windows that hinge up,allowing access thru the side.The windows are tinted,but someone can see in if they look close enough,as said before ,you can`t stop a die hard thief. Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ohio sept 09 004.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	99326  
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Flip-Pac

We just purchased a Flip-Pac camper shell, which folds out into a sleeping platform while also allowing the storage of your gear. We plan to take our new F-150 4WD to areas where the Bambi can't easily follow. The Flip-Pac makes it possible for us to have a 1-2 day layover in these remote/hard-to-get-to spots. These photos were taken in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (CA). Another advantage of this shell is that you can stand up inside the truck bed, which also makes it easier to load gear into the truck. The weight is approx. 300 lbs, and the manufacturer can custom-make the product to fit almost any truck bed. Their website is flippac.com.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flip-Pac (short-bed).jpg
Views:	338
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	99382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flip-Pac & Bambi.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	99383  

Name:	Flip-Pac deployed.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	99384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flip-Pac Sleeping area.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	99385  

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have had a couple of camper shells over the years and now travel without one. There are some things to realize:

1) They do not keep the dust out.
2) It is difficult to get items in and out, because you generally have to load from the tailgate and there isn't enough overhead clearance to stand up. Flip-up side windows help to a degree but are not big enough for larger items
3) Even if the gelcoat matches the truck finish at first, they will fade at different rates.
4) There is no resale value. Used truck dealerships find that trucks sell better without toppers and will remove them from any incoming trucks. A few dealers will keep them on site and try to sell them separately but most just haul them to the dump.
5) Removal and reinstallation is a big enough hassle that most people never do it, so you end up needing a flatbed trailer for the occasional times when you have to haul a fridge, motorcycle, or other tall item.
6) Visibility is compromised to a degree
7) The locks will fail in the first two years, and don't provide much security anyway

I may end up getting one of the folding vinyl toppers that is now on the market. They have a system of bows and rails and fold to the front of the bed. Seems like the best of both worlds. Otherwise there's a lot to be said for tonneau covers, which look better and are much easier to load.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We like our slightly elevated cap. It has 42 inches of clear height inside so we can carry two bikes standing up in a rack. We have lots of stuff we travel with to run the club rallies. We do use the truck for our rental business and haul refrigerators laying down. Just let them stand up for a couple hours before you plug them in. Lawn tractors also fit. We have lots of bad weather in Illinois so the cap protects our tools, which we carry all the time.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I always thought I would like a shell but was not sure enough to invest the money. I work for a radio service shop and they traded in a service truck and the shell would not fit the new truck. It did fit mine though. I painted it to match and love it. It has the right side door, and a tool box behind the left side door. Everything stays dry and locked up.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
TV Cover

We ordered a Silverado with an 8' bed. We have a gull wing lockable tool box behind the cab. We then use a foldable cover for the rest of the bed. We have a Honda 3000 gen. chained into the bed. We can fold up the cover and haul our 4 wheeler. The bed is easy to load and unload as I can stand up. I had a shell and hated crawling in and out......Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I may end up getting one of the folding vinyl toppers that is now on the market. They have a system of bows and rails and fold to the front of the bed. Seems like the best of both worlds. Otherwise there's a lot to be said for tonneau covers, which look better and are much easier to load.
I just sold a truck with a Softopper and the product was not only made in the USA, it fit correctly, quality manufacture and very practical. I liked it so much, that I may ditch the hard tonneau and install a cross box and Softopper on my GMC 2500.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Thank you for all the comments. Since it is apparent that the majority feels a shell is the way to go; what creative ways have you discovered to keep organization alive in the shell? I am thinking a truck chest mounted against the cab portion of the bed:

with Swing Cases installed behind the rear fender wells near the tailgate:

UnderCover Swing Case

My one concern is the truck chest sits directly on the bed floor and thus will shorten my overall bed length by 20± inches. I prefer to have a traditional truck box that crosses over the rails and allows longer items to slide underneath, but I haven't figured out how this could work with a camper shell. Has anyone ever mounted a low profile cross over box:

and cut/custom fitted the flat portion of the camper shell that rests on the truck bed rails so that it sits around a crossover box (Is that clear as mud?). This would allow me to still have plenty of secure storage with or without the camper shell. It's just a thought, but there has to be some solution out there.
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Cover Options

I have had a Fold-A-Cover folding tonneau cover since I bought my 2000 F150 new. It is not a complete seal, so some water and dust can enter. The instructions tell you this. The tailgate is not sealed anyway, so that issue will always be there. The seals along the hinges cracked and started leaking last year. Replacements are available at the link I provided. It will involve drilling out and replacing pop rivets, though. Not much of a problem for anyone with an Airstream, I think. I just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet.

I also installed a BedRug carpet bedliner at the same time. It still looks like new. I'm sure being out of the sun under the cover contributed to this.

I like the combination. I have carried items too tall to fit under the cover by folding the rear three panels over the front (straps with snaps to secure the folded cover are included) many times. The BedRug liner protects items from damage. I often lay my bicycle down and lock the cover over it. Works great.

Just another option. The shells offer a lot of storage. I really like the increased visibility of the flat cover. I will reconsider my options when I buy a new truck. Shell or tonneau, I will install a new BedRug liner. I really like it.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrinius View Post
hi ty'

your question skips the tonneau option...

briefly the folks who have them LIKE them,

and it is a better option than BOXES or loose stuff in the bed.

also may improve mpg a TINY bit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ers-41412.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...over-5423.html

FULL shells are nice too and for longer trips (or lots of stuff) a shell is hard to beat...

-they no longer use GELcoat as the TOPCOAT, many use the oem paints and come with LIFETIME warranties for peeling.

the gel/fiberglass on my shell is light gray, UNDER the 2 coats of oxford white (ford oem) paint.

(mine matches the truck perfectly after 5 years, although it started to PEEL in year one and was shipped back for REpainting)

typically the TAILGATE on trucks, has no gaskets and THAT lets dust into the space...

in fact dust is sorta SUCKED in sometimes, right above the rear bumper.

but TAILGATE GASKETS solve that issue.

once the gasket was installed i've had ZERO dust issues inside the shell (25$ diy )

visibility is reduced compared to a TOPLESS truck, but towing a trailer already cuts CENTER rearview mirror use.

my shell has great visiblity, except when FULL of stuff.

window tinting added to the sides can cut looking IN to almost zero, keeping the prying eyes out.

-5 years of locks, without FAILURE (most latches carry a 1 year warranty)

RESALE?

my shell can go to the NEXT NEW TRUCK which means a SAVINGS 4 me...

lots of OFFROADING or frequent driving on UNfinished surfaces can be hard on a fiberglass shell (it may move around)

inside i use a variety of rubbermaid tubs and boxes, NOT METAL.

the metal ones LOOK nice but are heavy (this cuts into payload) and sharp and not really needed.

also METAL boxes are UNforgiving when they touch the SHELL and can damage it (star/burst shaped cracks seen on the outside)

bikes go inside, gensets, tools, grill, extra spare tire and so on...

most stuff is secured from SLIDING with 'bedbugs'...

with a full size truck bed there is a LOT of space under a shell...

about 1/10th of the box art' uses...

lots of threads on this issue....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...bad-27878.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-no-35553.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ion-41853.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPE POD View Post
We just purchased a Flip-Pac camper shell, which folds out into a sleeping platform while also allowing the storage of your gear...
VERY NICE e'pod! and great pics.

that would be nifty for brief over nighters away from the base and for KIDS who wanna rough it outside...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
I've chose a topper also, inside I have plenty of room for the 2 honda Gen's, an inflatable Zodiac Zoom & a 9.9 outboard. outside on the roof I carry a Yakima Storage Pod for the folding chairs, rug & the rest of the outdoor essentials.

stufarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

I bought an Astro-brand topper when I first got my new F250 in 1996. It was matched with factory color, and it is still the same color as the truck. At first glance, some people think I'm driving a Ford-type Surburban.

Since I like to travel with darn near everything I'd need for camping and for repairs in the event of breakdowns, I have a LOT of stuff. Like blue tank, chairs, barbeque pit, assortment of tools, tire plug kit, small generator, small compressor, etc and etc.
I use an assortment of plastic boxes to keep it organized, kind of.

To keep from piling stuff on top of stuff, I put 2X4s laterally across the top of the pickup bed, and use 1-inch plywood in sections on top of the 2X4s to to serve as an elevated floor. So, I have a two-story storage area. My camper has sliding side windows, so some smaller items are accessible from those. For the far-back reaches, I use a pole with a hook on the end.

In the past couple of years, I installed a 91-gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed, so I shortened my top story to about 3/4 of the pickup bed to accommodate the auxiliary tank. I now rest my blue tank on top of the fuel tank. No space is wasted.

I'd feel positively neeked and un-boy-scout-like without my two-story camper top.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote