Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Where do you keep your wine?

Every time we pack for a trip I seem to need to find another place to store the wine bottles. Last time they were kept in the waste basket with large sponges for 'cushions'. Does anyone have a clever wine rack that will safely house the wine during transit. Our coach is a 24' Trade Wind and there are not too many places to mount a wine rack.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
The arms of the sofa in our 93 Excella can be removed to expose storage space below so we added dividers to separate the wine bottles. Works great!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
I use several of these "neoprene wine totes" and stuff them under my gaucho, mitigating road vibrations and temperature fluctuations—I think.

BUILT : Two Bottle Tote
BUILT : Six Pack Tote
The Container Store > Neoprene Bottle Totes
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
The arms of the sofa in our 93 Excella can be removed to expose storage space below so we added dividers to separate the wine bottles. Works great!
that is a great idea - i've never stored anything in there, forgot about that space (it happens in a 34').

we put our wine bottles in a storage bin under the bed wrapped in towels. i have also been known to carry "boxes" of wine, that works well wherever you put them!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Since we have the L-shaped sofa in our Sovereign, I decided that one of these days I'm going to use the space between the sofa and the fridge and build a wine rack there. We have friends of ours with a 3411 Silver Streak, and they converted one of their overhead cabinets to a wine rack.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
it gets too hot in there for my delicate reds. I'm gonna have to install a custom gas/elec wine fridge...
Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
I put mine in the cupboard in their own individual socks.
Yes, I cover each bottle with a nice cushy tube sock.
Works well.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
That's why I am a Bourbon man.. it's not to delicate for a little adventuring now and then..

but on a side note, anybody have or use one of those little counter top ice makers?

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We pack ours back into the six-pack wine box with cardboard dividers that we purchase them in (usually from Sam's...). This compactly stores in the lower section of the cabinet console that backs the center dinette in our 30'. For most long trips, we pack several large merlot or cabernet bottles, a Bailey's, vodka, tonic water, BM mix, and perhaps a Scotch (for discerning guests!) in one of these. If we will be driving in the Rockies or somewhere "rough," I'll pad the works with extra dishtowels. We've never had a bad event with this storage plan. Quick and handy for that Ahhhh moment after setting up camp and settling into a LaFuma under the awning. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
In my belly
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
That's why I am a Bourbon man.. it's not to delicate for a little adventuring now and then..

but on a side note, anybody have or use one of those little counter top ice makers?
We do have a counter top ice maker that we take with us on every trip. It is pretty cool and makes a good amount of ice.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Great post! We had been recently keeping our wine in our waste basket during travel until last time when I accidentally threw away an unopened bottle. doh! Will have to try some new ideas.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
PHP Code:
In my belly :brows::lol
Right ON!

However, when we lay in a supply, I use a six bottle wine tote bag, purchased from Trader Joe's, and stash each bottle in one of my holy winter socks. (i.e. heavier sock)
In our 24' 75' Gussy, this tote fits nicely on the floor of our pantry, just next to the wheel well.
In our 34' FK, I "sock" away the wine bottles in a couple of small plastic interlocking crates, which fit nicely under the front galley sink.
The trick is to keep the bottles from shifting & clanking.
In the event that we have an unfinished bottle of wind (a rarity) we use a grey "cork" & wine evacuater to recork & seal the bottle. This does stay in the bottle unless we do a severe altitude change!
I prefer wine glasses, so hang the wineglass with a thick rubber band or one of those wrist bands placed around the thickest part of the glass. This keeps the glasses from banging against each other & breaking. So far ( 20K miles) so good . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"...but on a side note, anybody have or use one of those little counter top ice makers?"

Yes! Just picked one up at BJ's for $149.99. It's the kind that makes the crystal clear ice (and it's silver colored which will look good in the Bambi). Wish we had known about them sooner. It may be a challenge to find a good space for it in a small AS. It produces 28 lbs. per day. I tried to find a link, but was unsuccessful. I did find another one (Kalorik), but it costs more and doesn't seem to be as nice. I did notice they flew of the shelves, and they haven't restocked.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
we use a plastic tote, that I outfitted inside with mattress foam that I glued together in layers - then cut the bottle holes with a large sharp kitchen knife...

the tote holds 12 bottles, and I usually toss it in the Excursion along with our other 'extra' storable stuff...if we take a trip longer that a '12 bottle' outing, I guess I'll have to get a cask and strap it onto the old Ford's roof...

we also take along a couple of those wine 'boxes' that store well inside the AS...there are a large variety of 'boxed' wines, these days, and some are quite good - and the juice 'keeps' for longer than a half-full 'bottle'...but let's face it...half full wine bottles turning bad aren't really a 'problem' with us...you can always use the juice of the grape on your morning cornflakes!...
Old 08-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I have a few ideas I have used over the years:

For a short trip, I have put them in thick socks in my heavy boots in the back of the closet.

For a longer trip, I wrap them in hand towels and put two or three each into a couple of day packs. Then into the closet.

A month boondocking in Montana, put the case in the bathtub, pack the whole thing with towels. At the last town before entering the wilderness you can fill it up with ice cubes (if you are packing whites) and cover it with a plastic trash bag and more towels. Then shower outside, remember, you are in the wilderness!

A trip across the Sahara, anywhere they will fit. Next to the goat, under the spare tire, in a sock in the toolbox, (which is really handy in case you have broken down again) in a neoprene sleeve floating in the water barrel. When you arrive at a camping spot, drop to your knees immediately in gratitude for each one that surfaces unbroken and pray to God that the 115 degree heat has not boiled away the alcohol.

Did I mention I like wine?

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
My box of wine fits perfectly in the door of my fridge ( =

Don't have to worry about it breaking, and doesn't take up much space.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Not much on wine but I do like to keep my wild turkey up in the cab of my truck...that way i can ship on it wile i pull my airream down the hiway....

Oh come on now that was funny...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head'nOut View Post
Not much on wine but I do like to keep my wild turkey up in the cab of my truck...that way i can ship on it wile i pull my airream down the hiway....

Oh come on now that was funny...

Only in East West Virginia...

Now THAT was funny!

Wild Turkey gives me heartburn something fierce...I'm more partial to Maker's Mark. Now that's a Bourbon I don't mind getting familiar with! I have a great Special Forces deployment story involving Maker's Mark, Lufthansa and a really mad German stewardess...I'll save it for a get-together one day...till then, use your imaginations.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Love it Carol!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
I have a few ideas I have used over the years:

For a short trip, I have put them in thick socks in my heavy boots in the back of the closet.

For a longer trip, I wrap them in hand towels and put two or three each into a couple of day packs. Then into the closet.

A month boondocking in Montana, put the case in the bathtub, pack the whole thing with towels. At the last town before entering the wilderness you can fill it up with ice cubes (if you are packing whites) and cover it with a plastic trash bag and more towels. Then shower outside, remember, you are in the wilderness!

A trip across the Sahara, anywhere they will fit. Next to the goat, under the spare tire, in a sock in the toolbox, (which is really handy in case you have broken down again) in a neoprene sleeve floating in the water barrel. When you arrive at a camping spot, drop to your knees immediately in gratitude for each one that surfaces unbroken and pray to God that the 115 degree heat has not boiled away the alcohol.

Did I mention I like wine?

Carol
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote