Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #1

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
nevada city , California
Replacement Mattress

What is the best replacement mattress for a 25 ft Flying Cloud? My wife has RA and I have a bum back. We think a replacement mattress may improve comfort. Is anyone familiar with the Saatva mattress?
jimlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Several choices. Been researching this myself. Rocky mountain mattress purportedly makes a very good one.
I've found there are several independent mattress companies in most cities that will cut a memory foam mattress to custom size very reasonable. Just got a quote from Reno mattress for a custom cut 10" memory foam mattress with quilted cover for $450 for a corner double.

Shop around google mattress manufacturers. You csn get a schematic of your mattress from airstream customer service by email. Supply your VIN number.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Best? Another one of those impossible questions to answer unless someone has tried every mattress made. This is my current mattress. Best sleep I have had in a long time and my back feels so much better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Try this connection, Chair Cushion, Boat Cushions, Replacement Cushions, Patio Cushion
Poke around on the site, as there is a lot of information about foam and mattress.
edit. The posted name was changed from "the foam factory"
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed the 8" Rocky Mountain mattress in the 25FB as a custom design queen due to the radius at the head of the bed. We were able to use the previously Airstream 600 thread sheets, pillow covers and mattress cover. These fit the 8" mattress much better than they fitted the factory stock 7" mattress.

We ordered custom twin 8" Rocky Mountain mattresses for the Classic (radius issue against the head of the bed) and also ordered the same Airstream 600 thread sheets, pillow cases and mattress pads but for the twin beds.

We ordered the 12" King Rocky Mountain mattress for the home and the Rocky Mountain custom sheets, pillow cases and mattress pad. The top sheet has a pocket (like a fitted bottom sheet) at the foot of the bed so it will not pull out from the bottom of the bed.

We ordered the custom 10" Rocky Mountain mattress (radius issue against the head of the bed plus non standard size) for the 23D along with custom sheets, pillow cases and mattress pad. It too will have the fitted top sheet.

We have been very happy with their products.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
We installed a Denver Mattress with 11" radius corners on foot end. Fit 28ft FC perfectly and heaven compared to AS OEM mattress.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps if the senior management and board of directors of Airstream actually slept for a week on the Airstream stock mattresses, they Would splurge another few dollars and get better mattresses from the git go to keep customers happier.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Perhaps if the senior management and board of directors of Airstream actually slept for a week on the Airstream stock mattresses, they Would splurge another few dollars and get better mattresses from the git go to keep customers happier.

If they were required to do that they might be inspired to make a lot of changes to the entire trailer lineup.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
LOL Chief.....AS mgt make changes? Why, they have almost a cult following vested in their product willing to overlook poor quality, fix and upgrade their units themselves to make them as good as what AS advertises an AS to be..... and then preach the AS story for AS to the"SOBers".
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Try this connection, Chair Cushion, Boat Cushions, Replacement Cushions, Patio Cushion
Poke around on the site, as there is a lot of information about foam and mattress.
edit. The posted name was changed from "the foam factory"
I find this source confusing. There are many styles of "conventional" foam. Harder, softer, more resilient, less resilient . . . 4 yr, 15 yr. I know that memory foam kills my back. "Conventional foam", which they put in one category, could be more or less firm, and more or less durable, thicker...thinner. So hard to guess what will work for me/us.
The mattresses in my unit (1971, modified several times) make my back hurt. They feel too hard. Don't want to go out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Has anyone found a good guide to foams?
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
We installed a Denver Mattress with 11" radius corners on foot end. Fit 28ft FC perfectly and heaven compared to AS OEM mattress.
After 4 more years of use of the Denver replacement mattress, what is your review of their product?
davet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
Had Custom Comfort in So Cal make mine. They made it to the exact replacement with squared corners and I was able to pick the mattress I wanted. Very happy with it, my wife has back issues and she says it's as comfortable as the one in the house.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We used Rocky Mountain Mattress many years ago. We got a latex mattress and it was exactly what we wanted. The only thing that we didnt like was it took them about a week longer to get it to us than they promised.