Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I tow with an Andersen hitch, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full air suspension and automatic leveling.
Please explain automatic leveling with a Grand Cherokee. What is that and how do you get it done?

Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 AM   #58
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Screws loose...

Sounds like someone's electric wrench was set too high.... But as I have had similar problems, I would suggest: screws in the particle board...inset two or three tooth picks, broken off at the surface, a spot of wood glue and reinsert the screws carefully not over tightening and this works for me. If problem reoccurs, I might try an epoxy in the screw hole with the tooth picks.

Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #59
Flying Cloud 27
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I replaced the screws holding the microwave slides with three through-bolts, lock washers, and nuts on each side. IMO, two small screws on each side holding that weight is inadequate. Ours came loose, and broke the latch on the drawer below. Since putting in the bolts, it has stayed in place.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #60
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Please explain automatic leveling with a Grand Cherokee. What is that and how do you get it done?
Good explanation and info here,

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Quadra-Lift Air Suspension system
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
My two cents:

The weight distribution of the hitch is one element as others have shared. Another is the tire pressure. I know that many put the maximum air pressure in their tires but I do not and if you have the E rated tires they are VERY stiff. Check that too. My older unit has lost a few screws but nothing to the extent you shared. I have some stripped screws though.

If I were in your situation, I would cover myself by writing a certified letter to Airstream and make some claims for repair at the dealer- certainly. Then I would seek their advice for repair on current issues. That way there is a record at least of an issue. Then, if you have any critical issues you can deal with it. I met a couple camping with a Keystone trailer of some sort - think it was a Premier that were sick- slide not working, door slammed to close- didn't match, etc. They eyeballed my Airstream saying we probably needed to pay more. RVs are massed produced products that can have issues- some more than others. I am not convinced that better materials= better build. I shared before that at a show here in FL I went into an International Serenity that the floor popped up and down on the bedroom left side making a metal pop sound when walking around the bed- in a show model! Airstream's biggest advantage, IMO, is their shell and modern style.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #62
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Owning a Airstream is a work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #63
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Thanks AWCHIEF, I have never seen any full explanation of how the system works, and that one certainly tells it all. Apparently written by Jeep too. I wish they would publish it in their manual, which I have but it does not really explain how the system operates like the reference you supplied.

I like the system, it is very comfortable and although sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own, it has not given me any problems in 32,000 miles of solo and towing driving. You do need to know how to shut it off to change a tire and to set up a WD hitch. Without it being shut off, it will try to compensate for ride height and normal WD setup is impossible.

It is also funny to watch it self level after you stop and shut down, so it "looks pretty" and is nice and level. I wish my 2012 had automatic height reduction for ease of entrance and exit when parked, rather than manual. Apparently that was added sometime in 2013-14.

I expect it will be expensive to repair when/if it ever needs it now that it is out of warrantee. But at this point, I would certainly recommend it if you are buying a new Grand Cherokee (or used).

I think it is the same, or very similar to the air suspension now offered on the RAM 1500 series of trucks, but someone else may know more about that.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We have had major issues with screws (especially those holding D-rings to the floor) being over torqued in our AS...chalk it up to poor training of employees at AS!
For the wooden areas, try the broken off toothpick, but add a tiny bit of oil to the threads and partially fill the hole with epoxy. The oil will prevent the threads from sticking and allow easy removal when needed. Snug the screws only moderately and wait for the epoxy to set (the slow setting is stronger); then finish snugging the screw and that should end your difficulty.
For stripped out screws in aluminum, we have had good success with stainless wool - only add a small bit to see if the screw bites. If not, then either a larger screw or drill a new hole...or try the epoxy route - which has not proven effective for us.
Good luck.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I have used the 'Steel Epoxy'... it is a 'putty' which you cut into the volume you need, then you mix by smashing it around... usually with your fingers... until it is uniform in color.. smash and press it into the hole using a broken toothpick as a 'ramrod'... build to the level you want, run the 'oiled'/greased screw into the spot. Let cure. Remove screw.. attach device and redrive screw.

This is some TOUGH stuff! I rebuilt broken tabs on auto dashboards with the stuff!!

And, it stays put... doesn't run.. no drips.. etc..
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #66
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I personally feel this is a old vs new quality issue. I have always used Reese dual can hitches.... older Airstreams seem not to rattle apart, newer builds are simply awful!
Just my experience!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I personally feel this is a old vs new quality issue. I have always used Reese dual can hitches.... older Airstreams seem not to rattle apart, newer builds are simply awful!
Just my experience!
Well, ours is sort of old (2002), but we bought it new. During the years we have practiced the boat/aircraft maintenance people have suggested. Were there problems initially and along the way? Of course, but now everything hangs together very well and our maintenance effort has diminished. As others have mentioned, the apparent higher quality of older Airstreams may be due more to owners doing as we have done rather than original work at the factory.

Perhaps I should add that we have done all maintenance ourselves. The trailer has never been in a workshop since it was new. Being able to carry out the work surely has made it less annoying than having to schedule dealer and shop time.

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #68
Rivet Master
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We have been towing extensively with a Ram 1500 and 1400 ProPride hitch and everything has stayed tight.

Cheryl... didn't you guys run an Andersen hitch for a while, happily? Why the switch.

Also, with the Andersen hitch, did you switch out the Atwood coupler for one that was more compatible with the Andersen?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
DHart, we were naive early adopters and learned the hard way. Also, the coupler incompatibility was not announced when we bought it but that was finally the end of the misadventure.

ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #70
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I run Airsafe hitch on my 2015 F350 and my Airstream rides smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote