Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Millville , New Jersey
I'm interested in the 2015 28' International Serenity. I noticed most comments were towards the Flying Cloud line. Are there different levels of quality / materials depending on which line you buy? I would think the Classic at $100k+ would have the fewest number of problems.
esloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Classic has its fair share of problems.
The other models are all pretty much the same except for interior colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quick release hinges

Our 2015 model FC25 came with quick-release, Grass brand hinges. On arrival to our destination we would find cabinet doors on the floor. The hinges have a trigger on the rear that when pressed or bumped allows the hinge to separate. I complained to AS and they acted as if they had never heard of such. A Grass factory is within five miles of our dealer so I made a visit. The receptionist was very helpful in calling an engineer to come hear my complaint. The engineer came back with a Grass catalog page entitled "Clip Protection for Tiomos Hinges". The clips are injection molded plastic and can be ordered from baerwurthsupply.com (this may be wurthbaersupply.com) as part number GFF072135807540. The cost is a whopping $0.57each and they will accept a Visa card. Problem solved.
MaiziesGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #44
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Kewl!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I regularly walk around my trailer inside and out with Philips screwdriver in hand. I check every screw, nut and bolt that I can see. It is rare that I have a screw or hinge come loose. Just like with boats and aircraft Preventive Maintenance is critical to safety and reliability of all systems. The walk around is just a small part of my PM program.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
I use JB weld (a 2 part epoxy used to glue engin parts back togather) the tooth pick in hole gooped up with jb weld, if i may want to unscrew later lightly coat screw with with silacone grease if you never want screw out don't use grease.
And have your tires spin ballenced they can shake your unit apart if out of ballence.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #47
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Spin balance is a great idea. I got back from picking up my Classic last week and the first stop was at my local Discount Tire. Changed the valve stems to metal, installed the screw on non flow through TST TPMS caps and then they did a spin balance of each tire. Tech commented that it took a bit of weight to get it balanced.

Also replaced all of the lug nuts. Standards are the nut with a chrome press on cladding. I think Barry mentioned earlier that he replaced with McGard nuts. Total for all of the work was $90. $60 of that was the lug nuts so a very reasonable $30 for the stems and balance.

Discount Tire just rocks in customer service...
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #48
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I regularly walk around my trailer inside and out with Philips screwdriver in hand. I check every screw, nut and bolt that I can see. It is rare that I have a screw or hinge come loose. Just like with boats and aircraft Preventive Maintenance is critical to safety and reliability of all systems. The walk around is just a small part of my PM program.
That reminds me of my time on the USS Kennedy. My brother was with VAQ-138, and I would help him with Phase Maintenance on his EA6B. Crawl up into the tail with a phillips screwdriver, remove the screw, scrape off the dope, scrape the dope out of the screw hole, put new dope on the screw, screw the thing back in, repeat. There must have been thousands of screws in there.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
Anyone have their microwave shake out of its little hole? We just happened to notice, and it was just about to strip the screws completely out. The little screw-like supports were bent sideways. It will take some thinking to figure out the best way to solve the problem. We had to take it out and put it in the TV to save it. On the good side, the added space was nice for the remainder of the trip.
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I'm beginning to appreciate my '98 Classic more and more. All of the cabinet face frames and doors are solid oak... rarely a loose screw.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #51
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Try reducing the screw tension on the wd part of the Hensley by 1/2"-1", and tow the trailer around. After you do this, please let us know if the reduced tension helps.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
As we approach time to take delivery of a 2016 30' Serenity, this thread steels me a bit in anticipation of QC issues. Remembering that most of these are relatively minor issues that can be semi-permanently corrected is helpful. This is a good thread for any prospective AS buyer to read through!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am starting on my 3rd camping season in my 2014 FC 20, delivered in June 2013. The only problem with screws was the drawer slide attachment to the drawers, one was defective on delivery, and was repaired then. When I took the drawers out to inspect them, I found only two tiny screws attaching the drawers to the slides. There was room for 4 screws on each, AS only put two in. I added the other two and sealed them with a drop of wood glue. Not one problem since, and nothing else has come loose either, not a screw or rivet or anything other than the main door hinge which was apparently not tightened up right on build, and repaired under warrantee. Virtually no other build quality issues. I have towed about 10,000 miles on this one.

I changed to Michelin tires and 16" wheels, all balanced, shortly after purchase.

I tow with an Andersen hitch, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full air suspension and automatic leveling.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #54
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
As we approach time to take delivery of a 2016 30' Serenity, this thread steels me a bit in anticipation of QC issues. Remembering that most of these are relatively minor issues that can be semi-permanently corrected is helpful. This is a good thread for any prospective AS buyer to read through!
All things considered...... take plenty of time during your walk-thru of your new Airstream. Write down things you want to check so they are not forgotten. All of this experience that has been given by current owners is invaluable for new owners.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been towing extensively with a Ram 1500 and 1400 ProPride hitch and everything has stayed tight. There may be more to it than that. We load any heavier items in front of the truck's rear axle to allow less tension on the w.d. bars. We load the trailer with almost nothing in front, heaviest gear in the center, and bulky light items under the rear bed. We have reclining chairs in front, and slide them a few feet aft when towing.

The idea here is to keep at least 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch connection for good handling, but not excessive weight. By distributing weight in this way we are are to use less tension on the w.d. bars and get a noticeably softer ride. The lightly sprung truck most probably helps. We also run our 16" Michelin trailer tires at 65 psi. Never had any screws or furnishings come loose.

As a side note, we have found our Flying Cloud interior all laminate faced plywood and solid wood construction, no particle board. It's been very durable and easy to care for.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I thought I read somewhere that Airstream does not use particle board, just good quality plywood.

Were there times when they did/didn't use particle board?

Do they use any particle board on current model production (2015/2016)?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I tow with an Andersen hitch, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with full air suspension and automatic leveling.
Please explain automatic leveling with a Grand Cherokee. What is that and how do you get it done?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Screws loose...

Sounds like someone's electric wrench was set too high.... But as I have had similar problems, I would suggest: screws in the particle board...inset two or three tooth picks, broken off at the surface, a spot of wood glue and reinsert the screws carefully not over tightening and this works for me. If problem reoccurs, I might try an epoxy in the screw hole with the tooth picks.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #59
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
I replaced the screws holding the microwave slides with three through-bolts, lock washers, and nuts on each side. IMO, two small screws on each side holding that weight is inadequate. Ours came loose, and broke the latch on the drawer below. Since putting in the bolts, it has stayed in place.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Please explain automatic leveling with a Grand Cherokee. What is that and how do you get it done?
Good explanation and info here,

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Quadra-Lift Air Suspension system

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote