Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #1

Interior Paint for walls and bathroom

I have been looking at forums for days and everyone says something different to use. I just bought a 69 land yacht. I am planning to paint walls grey and cabinets black. The bathroom is the ugly yellow. What do you all suggest. Ive painted a couple other campers (not airstreams)... Ive always user killz first. But with walls the soft vinyl..do you sand or not sand? What do you use for bathroom? A spray paint of some sort?

Sorry to ask this when im sure these all have been answered before.

Thanks so much!!!
rask07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I just used 7 cans of white gloss Krylon for Plastic in our '77 Overlander bathroom.
Hope to update you in a bit as to it's durability and wear. In my previous applications, it has been successful and adheres nicely.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I second the vote on krylon fusion. I have used it extensively in multiple airstreams on everything from my bathrooms, end caps, refrigerator scoops, wing window surrounds and even the yellowed interior of my 73 dometic refrigerator. Here's a thread I did on one of my projects. My bathroom is 5 years old an holding up awesome.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ly-124989.html

Many, many color options available for you to. Good luck. I'll be doing the bathroom in my 69 safari in the next month I'll post a step by step when I get to it. Redoing the floor in it right now ☺
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #4

Whats best for the walls in the aistream? And dovu sand it firstvor no?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
YES :-) make sure to give it a good sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper and for getting in to the hard to reach areas us 000 steel wool. then give it a thorough cleaning and allow to dry before painting. sand and steel wool and re-clean between coats. Apply multiple thin coats and never change direction on the surface you are painting as that will guarantee you runs.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you have spray equipment look at the Rustoleum metallic water based paint. They also have pearls and clear. I did my Avion which I sold, and our current Argosy with the paint and it looks very cool. No one expects to see pearls and metallic on the walls when they step into your trailer. The clear just makes the paint POP more.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

Thesignlady- u sand and clean between paint coats? What paint and primer did you use?

Ventport- no spray equipment. I will be using old fashion brush and rollers
Old 10-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Will be painting the bathroom this winter but Krylon fusion does not have the color DW wants. Has anyone used the fusion primer then top coat with non fusion spray paint.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
You do not need to sand between coats I just do it as I want a super smooth therefore easier to keep clean in the future finish. With the Krylon fusion paints there are a bunch of colours avaiable, and several metallics as well. I have used the pewter metallic on my tambour doors you can see in the end caps thread.
You don't prime, you don't top coat you don't even need to sand it's just the simple wash and then spray on a few thin coats. The stuff is amazing. I personally could never be talked in to anything else, this stuff has been way to durable and easy to use.

Here is a link to the many colours available in the fusion paint. If you're nervous about using it your AS the first time grab a can of fusion and an old plastic lawn chair or old kids plastic toy truck and spray it on, you'll never go back
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/
Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
I used the Krylon Fusion for plastic last week on my end cap and it has turned out pretty well. Cant speak to the durability just yet but i'm pleased with the finish.

Think I am going to try and paint the faux wood cabinets with a Rustolem oil based enamel next week. I still dont know what to paint the vinyl walls with. I want to paint it white. Any suggestions?
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Subscribing
Old 02-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Satellite Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmied View Post
I used the Krylon Fusion for plastic last week on my end cap and it has turned out pretty well. Cant speak to the durability just yet but i'm pleased with the finish.

Think I am going to try and paint the faux wood cabinets with a Rustolem oil based enamel next week. I still dont know what to paint the vinyl walls with. I want to paint it white. Any suggestions?
What did you end up going with? We are about to paint our '79 31' Sovereign and so far are planning to use Krylon Fusion for the endcaps, tambour doors, bathroom, and window surrounds (that are plastic). We have BIN primer that we are planning to use on all cabinetry and walls before a latex paint, all white as well. Any advice on whether or not to paint the metallic trim on the cabinets/walls? And what to paint with?

Thanks! I'd love to see photos of your finished product if you care to share!
Sue
suzuz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #13

1974 Argosy 24
New Braunfels , Texas
Rolling Paint On

We live in our 1974 Argosy and here is I painted it.

1. Cleaned the surface very well to get the old rv funk off. (Simple Green, no VOC's)
2. Wiped with high percent alcohol. (90% rubbing alcohol)
3. Caulked seams with paint-able silicon. (to seal interior from old RV funk)
4. Killz Oil Based Primer on walls and plastic ceiling end caps. (vent RV and use a mask)
5. 2 coats of a good latex paint. (vent RV and use a mask)

After a year of full time living the paint is holding up great. In touching up some aluminum trim that had primer, I had to use a razor blade and 600 grit sand paper.

It is all prep work.
CannedHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

1991 32' Excella
Twin falls , Idaho
Thanks Sign Lady for all of your help. I'm going to attempt to paint my caps with Krylon - thanks for all of the info you have posted!! I thought I found at one time how many cans you used but now I can't find it. Can you tell me how many each cap takes approximately? Thanks!
Eninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm thinking about doing the end caps in Krylon Fusion, and doing the walls in something custom tinted to match the Krylon color.

???
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #16

1991 32' Excella
Twin falls , Idaho
I've been searching my town high and low for Krylon Fusion but many of them are closing it out and so colors are limited. Someone told me today that it is being phased out. Krylon's newer release of Krylon Maxx does not have good reviews and I'm not going to waste my time. I found Krylon Fusion at thepaintstore.com and am going to purchase there - lots of color options. We just stripped the vinyl off of our walls and are going to paint end caps with Fusion and match paint for the cabinets. Now if we can just figure out how to repair around the cabinet in the front cap - it has separated across the full length of the top of the cabinet.
Eninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #17
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
I used 2.5 cans of krylon fusion per cap. Just make sure your cap is plastic and not gelcoat it doesn't stick to gelcoat :-)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #18

1998 25' Safari
Ballard , West Virginia
Has anyone ever tried to paint the (mouse hair) wall covering in a 1998 safari airstream?
CADUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Venus , Pennsylvania
Will the krylon fusion work on the interiors of a 69 tradewind. I think it's vinyl.
perryfamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryfamily6 View Post
Will the krylon fusion work on the interiors of a 69 tradewind. I think it's vinyl.
Has your Tradewind ever been painted before?