Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
paint interior walls?

Kicking around painting the interior walls of our '76 Sovereign. Can anyone advise me on the exact technique to ensure proper adhesion? I have seen where Kilz low odor oil primer is used. Is this recommended? What paint would I then use to top coat?
ryan3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
lots of threads

There are many threads on painting walls, "Doin' the Full Monte" is one of several good ones.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Do your due dilligence on this one!

Hey ryan,
You shoud probably use the search function here and read the various posts on this subject - and make your own conclusions. I read and read about it, felt good enough about how to tackle the job and completed it. Now am faced with some issues. After reading responses to my current problem, chatting with others and calling paint reps, I am uncertain how I will proceed.

I'm not saying that it can't be done - or shouldn't be done - but you should probably get real informed before tackling this just in-case you're one of the unlucky ones ... like me.

I cleaned my walls with TSP and thoroughly rinsed it, sanded the surface, applied XIM primer and top coated with Sherwin Williams Duration Laytex. The XIM primer was pretty difficult to work with IMO. All seemed peachy for a few months. Then (see this post): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/paint-went-tacky-55249.html

Good luck to you. I'll continue to update my post when I figure out what I'm going to do. I did see a product on the web made specifically for coating vinyl wall paper (Resene Vinyl Wallpaper Sealer - Prevents Sticky Finish) but I can't find anything available in the US. It wouldn't resolve my problem anyway - since I've already primed & painted. Doh.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
which walls?

You are right, Laura, XIM is a real challenge to work with. I used it when I painted the dividing walls that are plastic laminate over plywood after sanding the laminate with 100 grit sandpaper to "scuff" it up a little. The XIM then needs to be completely dry (a couple days) before topcoating.

On the vinyl-covering outside walls of the trailer, I applied 2 coats of water-based Kilz and 2 coats of Benjamin Moore latex, using a smaller diameter (1") roller with a high loft nap. The paint is holding up very well after 2 years.

I have found the Benjamin Moore products to be very good, not that others couldn't be, and will stick with that brand.

Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote