Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
1961 Globetrotter makeover issues - HELP!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm an interior designer and - surprise - this is my first attempt to redesign an Airstream.

My client has a 1961 19' Globe Trotter that is completely gutted. We are putting in new floors, wall finish, and a bar at the end closest to the door.

I know most of the answers to the questions I have are already posted in previous forums, but if anyone can post a link to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I'm up to my eyeballs in information and it's all a bit confusing, and conflicting.

First step is wiring the electrical - a couple of light switches by the door and one over the countertop of the bar. The problem with the bar is that it's going under the window of the hitch end, and this window is only about 30" above the finished floor. Normal counter height is 36". Has anyone ever done a sort of build-out, like putting a bar in at 36" and having a scooped-out section where the window is lower? (Does that make sense?)

Another issue is the air conditioner that the client wants. I found on an earlier thread here that pre-1962 trailers were not reinforced in the ceilings to provide ample support for a roof-mounted AC unit. What is this "Fantastic Fan" I keep seeing popping up in related talk? Is it a viable alternative to an air conditioner? The trailer is mounted on a roof and will get quite hot in summer.

This is a beginning to the hundreds of questions I have. Please, please, please reply if you have any advice on where to start!

Thanks!
serabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet 62 Globetrotter With Info For Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by serabear
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm an interior designer and - surprise - this is my first attempt to redesign an Airstream.

My client has a 1961 19' Globe Trotter that is completely gutted. We are putting in new floors, wall finish, and a bar at the end closest to the door.

I know most of the answers to the questions I have are already posted in previous forums, but if anyone can post a link to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I'm up to my eyeballs in information and it's all a bit confusing, and conflicting.

First step is wiring the electrical - a couple of light switches by the door and one over the countertop of the bar. The problem with the bar is that it's going under the window of the hitch end, and this window is only about 30" above the finished floor. Normal counter height is 36". Has anyone ever done a sort of build-out, like putting a bar in at 36" and having a scooped-out section where the window is lower? (Does that make sense?)

Another issue is the air conditioner that the client wants. I found on an earlier thread here that pre-1962 trailers were not reinforced in the ceilings to provide ample support for a roof-mounted AC unit. What is this "Fantastic Fan" I keep seeing popping up in related talk? Is it a viable alternative to an air conditioner? The trailer is mounted on a roof and will get quite hot in summer.

This is a beginning to the hundreds of questions I have. Please, please, please reply if you have any advice on where to start!

Thanks!
HELLO THERE IN CANADA.I HAVE A 1962 GLOBETROTTER 19FT VERY SIMILAR WITH YOUR SAME FLOOR PLAN. FIRST OFF,ILL TELL YOU THAT YOUR A/C UNIT GOES IN THE FRONT AND FANTASTIC FAN GOES IN THE REAR ROOF OPENING.I HAVE POSTED ALL THE INFO COVERING THIS.I AM WUNDERFUL62.IF YOU CLICK MY USER NAME AT THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THIS POST,IT WILL GIVE YOU SOME MORE OPTIONS.FIRST CLICK ALL MY POSTS AND READ THEM ,THEN CLICK ALL MY THREADS,AND YES YOU DO NEED TO ADD A ROOF BRACE CROSS RIB,NOT TOO HARD AND YOULL NEED TO RUN A WIRE FOR THE A/C,THE BREAKER IS IN THE REAR CLOSET BUT YOU CAN GET YOUR POWER OFF THE 110 V FROM THE DOME LITE,IT HAS A SEPERATE ON OFF SWITCH ON IT ANYHOW,CUZ YOUR NOT PRE WIRED FOR A/C FROM THE FACTORY ON THIS TEAR.ALL FOR NOW.CHAT MORE LATER,E MAIL ME IF YOU WISH,WAYNE,WUNDERFUL62
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi and welcome ~

I can't help you with the bar but only to say "cool." Go for it. Just plan it out carefully, maybe cut out the outer dimensions from cardboard and set in place and see what you think. As for the AC, you'll need to add braces between the inner and outer skin perpendicular to the ribs along both sides of the vent opening to each of the ribs. I used 1 1/2" aluminum 'C' channel for mine. As Wayne says, you'll also need to run a power cord to the unit. I would recommend running directly from the breaker box. I was fortuante and was able to run mine inside a closet, over to the cabinet over the galley and from there up through the ceiling between the skins. I fished it through using a straightened out clothes hanger. Only needed to run about 20" or so. The AC needs a 30 amp breaker and be the only appliance on this circuit. I chose a low profile Penguin and I've been very happy with it. Best of luck. Post some pictures and we'll help you along your journey.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags