Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
<<snip>> For the propane, not sure about the dropping suggestions. <<Snip>> .
When I had a similar problem as the OP, I read on this forum (advise from another forum member) several years ago . I did what was advised, it worked. I do not know that this is the problem that the OP's tank has. But it costs nothing to try and only takes a few minutes effort. Why not try it?

This is how/why it works:
First, look at a photo of an Overfill Protection Devise, commonly called an OPD valve. The bottom piece of the valve is a float. Example> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=S3SH22H367O6
As the tank is filled the float moves toward an upward position until that inlet valve is closed. This prevents additional propane from being put into the tank beyond the full level. After it is filled, if the tank is transported in an upright position the float is normally ok. If the tank is transported in a horizontal position, and/or rolled around horizontally as it is being reinstalled, the float can become hung up on the rods that connect the float to the valve, keeping propane outward flow blocked when it should not. Physically jarring a hung float can dislodge the tangle and set the float free. IF that is the problem propane flow might be restored.

Re the generator: I read the specs for the unit I noted in my post above, before I made that post. The spec does not say anything about the sine wave pattern. I think if it had a good, or even improved, wave pattern it would be part of their advertising and specs.
PS:
Before I made my prior post I looked at both Lowes' and B&S's websites. When I looked, I found B&S has their generators are listed in two catagories, "portable" and "inverter". Lowes website only has portable generators listed. I am hopeful that an inverter generator is what the OP purchased, but I have not found a 3500 watt B&S inverter generator
Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
When I had a similar problem as the OP, I read on this forum (advise from another forum member) several years ago . I did what was advised, it worked. I do not know that this is the problem that the OP's tank has. But it costs nothing to try and only takes a few minutes effort. Why not try it?

This is how/why it works:
First, look at a photo of an Overfill Protection Devise, commonly called an OPD valve. The bottom piece of the valve is a float. Example> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=S3SH22H367O6
As the tank is filled the float moves toward an upward position until that inlet valve is closed. This prevents additional propane from being put into the tank beyond the full level. After it is filled, if the tank is transported in an upright position the float is normally ok. If the tank is transported in a horizontal position, and/or rolled around horizontally as it is being reinstalled, the float can become hung up on the rods that connect the float to the valve, keeping propane outward flow blocked when it should not. Physically jarring a hung float can dislodge the tangle and set the float free. IF that is the problem propane flow might be restored.

Re the generator: I read the specs for the unit I noted in my post above, before I made that post. The spec does not say anything about the sine wave pattern. I think if it had a good, or even improved, wave pattern it would be part of their advertising and specs.
PS:
Before I made my prior post I looked at both Lowes' and B&S's websites. When I looked, I found B&S has their generators are listed in two catagories, "portable" and "inverter". Lowes website only has portable generators listed. I am hopeful that an inverter generator is what the OP purchased, but I have not found a 3500 watt B&S inverter generator
I believe your correct on Lowes and the B&S generator not being the quiet 3000 series! I thought Lowes had the portable generator from B&S 3000 series with sinewave rated at 59db...if its the industrial unit, I agree; take it back before using...Lows also sells the Champion 3100 Item # 719454 Model # 100261 with remote start for around $1000 which I would suggest looking at. You can find it for $800 on Amazon... also the DualFuel (propane) model for $850, which she could use with her larger propane bottles...my choice...but I have one of these and love it.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote