Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Wiring and Lighting your storage building

This is the storage building for the baby. It's 31 x 18 x 12. I'm thinking a wall switch for lighting, a couple of 15 amp receptacles ( one on the left and one on the right) and a 30 amp on the right. For lighting maybe two - 2 lamp 8 foot T8 strip lights (one each side between the wall and Airstream). Does that sound like everything I need? Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434728053.704961.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	241085  
sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The only addition I would make is a 240 line for my welder. Other than that sounds like you have it well in hand.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The two 120 volt outlets would not be enough for me, I like lots and lots of outlets to plug things into. Of course, they all need to be GFI protected.

I am going to LED type shop lights as they are cold resistant and will come on at full brightness no matter what temperature. Just a thought to consider. Costco now has them in the 4' length, simulating fluorescent bulbs.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Sabe

Depends on what you plan to do

Yes you can get by with storage that has nothing more than minimal lighting and a couple of outlets. It will work for storage.

For any sort of maintenance or repair you will need more lights and would be best served by more readily available power. Even distribution of light is more important than quantity. Running single T8s all the way along each side would be far better than double T8s in the center. Consider using 48" T8s instead of 96" -- twice as many obviously -- the total cost will be about the same and the 48" tubes are much easier to handle.

I would suggest an outlet near each corner as a reasonable compromise
Old 06-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabegirl View Post
For lighting maybe two - 2 lamp 8 foot T8 strip lights (one each side between the wall and Airstream). Does that sound like everything I need? Any other suggestions?
A light at the rear of the building would not be amiss, since it allows you to see what you're doing when you open up your trailer's rear storage area. Also, having the rear wall illuminated will help your depth perception in the mirror for when you're backing in. A light in the front (inside or outside) would make hitching or unhitching easier at dark-o'clock as well.

Also, make sure your curbside 15amp receptacle lines up pretty well with your trailer's entrance door. That way if you have to run an extension cord inside the trailer from the receptacle, you don't need as long a cord. After all, sometimes you might need to use power tools or work lights inside the trailer while the trailer's power is turned off for safety.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. This is just the advise I'm looking for.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I just did mine. I wanted to put a 30 amp connection like you would find in campgrounds, but my panel was maxed out. Instead, I put 20 amp connections thru out. That is still enough to run the AC in the Airstream if you want to service, test, or just spend time in there. If you want to use an air compressor, 20 amp service will allow you to use a bigger compressor without problems. You will need to use 12 ga. wire instead of 14 ga.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Might consider a dedicated 20amp for a battery charger. Are you not putting in a hookup for the trailer?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The only addition I would make is a 240 line for my welder. Other than that sounds like you have it well in hand.
Yes you have to have a 240 line , I'm a man of many projects and I always have use for one of my welders.
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The two 120 volt outlets would not be enough for me, I like lots and lots of outlets to plug things into. Of course, they all need to be GFI protected.

I am going to LED type shop lights as they are cold resistant and will come on at full brightness no matter what temperature. Just a thought to consider. Costco now has them in the 4' length, simulating fluorescent bulbs.
idroba beat me to it. I have bought about 5 of the 4' LED shop lights from Costco, and love them. They use about 1/5 the electricity of what they replaced, and are BRIGHT.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Where did you purchase your building from? I am shopping right now for one to park my Airstream in.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
We got the building from "Coast to Coast". You can go to getcarports.com and see their catalog. It was put up in 6 hours by two gentlemen that worked their buns off. Both sides and the rear end are enclosed to the ground and it seems pretty sturdy.

Are the LED strips from Costco the Feit Electric 4' shop lights on a cord? I guess that means more receptacles. There's no Costco near me. Maybe Sams would have them.

DanB...What's the benefit of having a RV hookup vs the receptacles?

There is a welding receptacle in the front of the building to the left. Hopefully that will work. It has a 200 amp service.

I told my electrician what I wanted before my question was posted here. I guess the project will grow a little which is par for the course.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Since you're wiring your storage unit for electric power anyway, you should, at a minimum, be thinking 50 amp (220/240 volt) service. I would also put a water line out there; 1/2" would do.

You may not need it now. But there may come a time when you might. It would also add value to your property when it comes time to sell.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I just did a 12 x 24 building to store my tow vehicle in. I put in a breaker box and 3 breakers. One for the 5 overhead double 48" light fixtures, one for the right side outlets, and one for the left side outlets. I have 11 outlets total. I also have enough slots in my box to add on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabegirl View Post
Are the LED strips from Costco the Feit Electric 4' shop lights on a cord? I guess that means more receptacles. There's no Costco near me. Maybe Sams would have them.
Yes, those are the ones I have seen that would work well.

Here is the Costco.com on them. I believe shipping is free to your door.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-...100155638.html
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote