Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Track Lighting & Lighting Ideas

Hi all. This is my first post. We're restoring a 1970 Overlander on our TV series, "Classic Rides" (will air on the DIY Network in the fall of 2005).
We want to do some nice lighting. Has anyone installed track lighting? I've seen some 12-volt track systems on the web.
Any other ideas or resources? Do the marine lighting companies have better choices?
This is a great forum and we've learned a lot. Many thanks!
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Sounds like a great show! Keep us posted on air times, etc.

You may want to check out Outwater Plastics (http://www.outwater.com). They have a lot of 12V lighting solutions along with pages and pages of architectural design materials.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Also check out a product called Trac12 by Juno at your local electrical supply house. They have a wide assortment of 12 volt lighting that will astound you. I've used a few of the single sockets in my rig and they're awesome.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRides
We want to do some nice lighting. Has anyone installed track lighting? I've seen some 12-volt track systems on the web.
Any other ideas or resources? Do the marine lighting companies have better choices?
Welcome!!

Here is a great source for 12V lights, even dimmers.
i will order the lighting supplies for my 1963 project from them.

www.swego.com

Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Yes, please keep us posted on the air dates of your show. Sounds like "Must See TV" for everyone around here. Good luck.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I want to see the series, too. Love the DIY shows!
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
ClassicRides, you might also want to check with Forum member "Muddy Hollow". He has some nice track lighting in his Globe Trotter ...
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

12 volt lighting questions

Many thanks to all for lighting suggestions. I have the Juno Lighting catalog (www.junolighting.com) as well as the Tech Lighting catalog (www.techlighting.com). Cool stuff! Both available at my local lighting store.

Try as I might, I just don't quite understand the 12-volt system, so please bear with me... (even read "RV Electrical Systems" last night): Can I use any 12-volt lighting in my 1970 Airstream - and this would be without a transformer (which is used for 120 volt residential), yes? And then how do I figure out how many fixtures - or wattage - I can put on that track? (The track wattage?)

And now to the bathroom: what kind of fixture can I replace in there? I've seen threads on the fluorescent lights. I was even thinking of a 12-volt track system for that - the Tech Lighting monorail type with a few fixtures (the track would make the curves in the bathroom ceiling). Or, they have a neat Luna fluorescent (or halogen version) bath vanity light. Would that be compatible with the 12 volt system?

Is this too wacky? Am I off-base? I can't seem to find a good lighting person who also knows about RVs.
ClassicRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I've got many of the same questions as were posted awhile ago from Classic Rides (sorry I did not catch any of the shows, but did find some clips on youtube).

Anyway - can anyone answer these questions regarding the use of monorail and other track lighting systems. I just posted a bit ago about some excess cable lighting I have, but realize now (after being brought to light) that it might be a bit too flimsy for use in Ophelia Overlander.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Also check out a product called Trac12 by Juno at your local electrical supply house. They have a wide assortment of 12 volt lighting that will astound you. I've used a few of the single sockets in my rig and they're awesome.

FF
I too have looked at the offerings from Juno Trac12 and am stuck with no one able to verify that the 12v AC fixtures with work with our 12v DC wiring. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Richard
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
narrow body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRides View Post
Hi all. This is my first post. We're restoring a 1970 Overlander on our TV series, "Classic Rides" (will air on the DIY Network in the fall of 2005).

That is a barrow body unit and can be pretty challenging to use track lighting and have it look good. Also 12 volt track lighting can be hard to find if you have that special look in mind, and it sounds like you do. 110 volt can be converted to 12 volt if your a DIY guy. :-) Just an idea.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I too have looked at the offerings from Juno Trac12 and am stuck with no one able to verify that the 12v AC fixtures with work with our 12v DC wiring. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Richard
The Trac12 system when used in your home has a transformer that steps down 110 volts AC to 12 volt DC which works perfectly with your RV system which is 12 volt DC. I have four of the single port twist and turn connections in my TradeWind. One over the dining table, one over each bed and one under the galley cabinet and they all work perfectly. The only thing I still need to do is to get LED bulbs to replace the Juno halogen ones.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
narrow not barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
That is a Narrow body unit and can be pretty challenging to use track lighting and have it look good. Also 12 volt track lighting can be hard to find if you have that special look in mind, and it sounds like you do. 110 volt can be converted to 12 volt if your a DIY guy. :-) Just an idea.

"narrow not barrow" sorry about the typo
Old 05-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Quote:
The Trac12 system when used in your home has a transformer that steps down 110 volts AC to 12 volt DC which works perfectly with your RV system which is 12 volt DC. I have four of the single port twist and turn connections in my TradeWind. One over the dining table, one over each bed and one under the galley cabinet and they all work perfectly. The only thing I still need to do is to get LED bulbs to replace the Juno halogen ones.

Brad
FF
Thanks Brad . . . what I needed was someone who has used these 12v systems with success and sounds like you have, so I will proceed with these Juno Trac12's. The last light I used had non-replaceable bulbs/lamps so had to thro it away. But on that one, which was a 110v AC with a transformer. So I just cut the transformer out of the loop and it worked fine for years . . . till it didn't. Thanks again, Richard & Della
Old 05-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Talent , Oregon
Quote:

Brad
FF
Hi again. Reviewing your comment I wanted to verify that you are not using this Juno Trac12 system with shore power = 110v, therefore utilizing the transformer. I want to hook this system up to my 12v wiring here in the Airstream, so, with or without an electrical hookup it can run on battery. I'd appreciate a reply when you can to help me understand your comment.
Thanks,
Richard & Della
Old 05-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
Hi again. Reviewing your comment I wanted to verify that you are not using this Juno Trac12 system with shore power = 110v, therefore utilizing the transformer. I want to hook this system up to my 12v wiring here in the Airstream, so, with or without an electrical hookup it can run on battery. I'd appreciate a reply when you can to help me understand your comment.
Thanks,
Richard & Della
Yes, it runs off the battery and works well when boondocking.
Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.