Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Globey

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wayne , Pennsylvania
Short term storage in cold climates

I am brand new to RVing and plan on doing 2 week trips from my home in PA. What can I do for storage when I am home for a few weeks in the winter? Is it just a matter of draining all of the water. It will be cold enough to freeze things when I am home between trips so I don't want anything damaged but also don't think a full winterization is a good idea once a month. I probably will be traveling once a month in Jan, Feb and March.
Thanks for the help
scottj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Yes get the water out of it! Then blow out the pipes with compressed air and the others will tell you about putting antifreeze in the system. Just remember all of you that antifreeze is deadly to any animal so be careful how you are using it.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you will be returning to a warm climate, like Florida, why not look for storage there? That way you will not need to keep winterizing and deal with towing in a snow storm.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Are you concerned about road salt on the roads in the winter during those times that you travel?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Yes get the water out of it! Then blow out the pipes with compressed air and the others will tell you about putting antifreeze in the system. Just remember all of you that antifreeze is deadly to any animal so be careful how you are using it.
Car antifreeze is toxic, I believe RV antifreeze is benign.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
You're going to need to go through the whole winterizing routine. It only takes one hard freeze. During warmer periods you might keep an eye on the weather report and winterize before the cold hits. I'd be equally concerned about road salt and the corrosion it causes. First hand experience on that score.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
For ten years I have had a winterizing kit on all the trailers I have owned. Once installed it only takes about 15 minuets for the pump to push about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze into the lines and at about $3.00 a gallon that is a lot cheaper that a water line repair. RV antifreeze, although not recommend for consumption, is safe or it would not be allowed for potable water lines.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
For ten years I have had a winterizing kit on all the trailers I have owned. Once installed it only takes about 15 minuets for the pump to push about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze into the lines and at about $3.00 a gallon that is a lot cheaper that a water line repair. RV antifreeze, although not recommend for consumption, is safe or it would not be allowed for potable water lines.
Only "problem" with the RV antifreeze is the flush and residual flavoring.

You do not state whether you are hooked up to city or RV park.

You also need to drain and protect the tanks. Even the Black tank can freeze and that leak will be really noticeable.

As you pump in the AF(antifreeze), the water in lines goes to the GRAY tank. This process also puts AF in the drain and PTraps!! This is "good"! Any water will possibly freeze.

Make sure the BLACK is drained and rinsed. Then run the toilet flush until AF is coming into the toilet. Pour some extra AF into toilet and flush to protect the BLACK tank.

If "hooked up" make sure all water is out of the Stinky Slinky. Raise the high end and walk all the way to drain end. It need not be dry but should have no low spots where water could expand and rupture the hose. Or, just disconnect, clean and rinse out and store.

Remember an ounce of prevention will sag you THOUSANDS of repair dollars.

Another "option" is to leave AS. Totally winterized and use the RV park facilities. You are paying for them...

Now, what about other items in the AS? Things in the fridge CAN freeze. Liquids like eyedrops, canned foods, etc, will freeze. Beer, wine, etc will freeze!!!!

So, will you be removing all these items as well?

We had a few "freeze" days here in Texas. I ran the built in heater without issue. But to leave it unattended and "away" would not be best. Is there someone you could get to "check" on its status while away and "prepare" prior to return?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Globey

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wayne , Pennsylvania
Short term storage in cold climates

Thanks all for the tips. I can't leave the AS in Florida because my plan is to travel to different areas on each trip. When home the AS will be in my driveway and not in use.I guess the best tips were to learn how to do the blow out and preventative treatment quickly and effectively as possible. I have a air compressor at the house so that should help. Don't like the idea of antifreeze in the water lines. I also like the idea of leaving in winterized and using the services at the facility until I go on a longer trip that would justify "adding water".

I am picking up the AS in two weeks and during my orientation I will have them give me a lot of detail on purging the system. If I can do it with compressed air (the inside clean water lines) it should be something I can perform pretty fast.
scottj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
One more possibility is locating a storage facility or warehouse where the heat is kept just above freezing. Just brainstorming. May be too expensive.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I don't antifreeze the whole system. I blow out the lines, drain the water heater and pour some anti freeze into the sinks shower and toilet, to put some in the bottom of the tanks and p traps. Two winters and no problem yet.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote