Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Short Term Storage

We store our AS in an RV lot, and we've had it only a short time since February. Right now we're using it on weekends and the longest stretch between trips is about three weeks or so.

My question is about what to do with the fresh water left in the tank after a camping trip.

Is is OK to leave unused fresh water in the tank and simply add to it the next time we dry camp--we visit a lot of places w/out hookups--or is it better to empty the tank and fill it up when needed? Alternatively, if it's OK to leave fresh water in the tank, is it best to leave the tank full or does it matter?

We're newbies to this trailer camping thing and I REALLY don't want to end up with some sort of Montezuma's Revenge because of tainted water.

I'd appreciate any advice you have...

Paul
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't ever trust that stored water for drinking, but bring along some gallon water bottles and refill them as needed. The problem is you don't know what may have gotten into the tank when refilling (especially from a campground source, less so from a municipal source).

Even then it is easy and wise to periodically disinfect the tank with a bleach solution, as described in your Owner's Manual. The tank will never be drained completely dry, disinfecting is the only way to ensure it is safe, even for cooking and bathing.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I always dump my fresh water after camping simply to reduce the weight when towing. And try to refill when closest to my next camping designation. Sometimes this is not practicle when going to primitive sites. I have no problem with drinking water from the holding tank as I filter it before filling and have an onboard filter at the sink. But you will get a lot of opinion on that issue. However, I wouldn't let it sit for a week or two.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Wouldn't think a few weeks would hurt anything, especially if you filter at the sink. Having said that, we usually dump fresh water between trips of a month or so and then bleach out the tank and water lines prior to the next trip. Better safe than sorry. Lock your water filler door when in storage.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'd clean the tank and lines between uses to be safe. To many things can grow in there especially in the summer.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
About the longest Lucy stays dormant is a month or so. We don't ever dump her fresh water. We have always just used it and refilled it as necessary. We do use one of those blue cylinder water filters when filling Lucy's fresh water tank.

We've been going this way for 5 years now. I don't think that we have ever dumped Lucy's fresh water tank. I did try out the dump valve once to make sure that it worked.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I would sample (sniff and taste) the water at the tank drain before you leave. If you have any doubts, put some bleach in your holding tank, let it sit, run some through all of your faucets, drain, and refill. You don't need much bleach, and you can drain the fresh tank in the driveway. You don't need much bleach, I don't remember the ratio, but it is in your owners manual in the winterization section.

An alternative is to add the bleach when you return home. The only down side to this is if it sits too long, and gets too warm the bleach will begin to weaken and become ineffective.

I also use a blue filter with pressure regulator.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Speaking of the fresh water dump valve, are they all as tight as mine? Need pliers to turn it on and off, and then just barely can move it. Can it be lubed? Still under warranty, replaced?

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
What's a "blue filter"? Is it a brand or a specific type of filter?

Thanks for the help and info. I think I'll end up playing it safe and rather than trusting to luck ...
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I believe the "blue filter" they are referring to is the in line cylinder type filter. Available at Camping World and Walmarts and others I'm sure. Just screw it between the hose and trailer inlet. Change it periodically and you have filtered water in the house. As you may have guessed they are "BLUE" in color. I'm sure that there are other filter options, this is just one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We never use our fresh tank for drinking,although Im sure we could if worst came to worst. I always add bleach to the first 50 gallons and then add water the rest of the summer. Water we take from home is NON CLORINATED WELL WATER. We always take fresh water in two refrig containers and 1 gallon milk jugs for the dogs. Our fresh water tank is used for dish washing and bathing and toliet flushing. Hope that give ya a little insight to the way we do it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I sanitize my water tank spring and fall. Each time I fill the tank I dump what is left after the trip. Generally we do not drink water out of the tank, but we do use it for cooking. When we know we will not be hooked up to water, we carry bottled water for drinking and brushing our teeth. Don't want Montezuma taking his revenge on me!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I use my trailer water storage tank as a emergency water supply in case of a natural disaster. I also try to keep at least 120 gallons of Diesel on my truck at all times. It takes one gal per person per day minimum and you should have a two weeks supply. You can safely store water in the fresh water tank by as stated bleach and rinse with bleach. If you are filling with city water using chlorine you don't have to do anything but fill it up to overflowing. I then put a stopper into the neck and block off the overflow also. It is good for about 6 months. I then tag the pump switches to remove plugs before use.

I also keep some food items stored in ice chests that contain powered milk can goods
instant potatoes, dried beans, rice and other survival items. After going through a Major Hurricane and seeing store shelf's bear. I take no chances especially living in The NO. 2 Potential Terrorist City in the country.

When I am using the trailer in the summer I just keep it topped of when I get back home.

I believe this in much better them emptying most of the water and having some that doesn't drain out exposed to air.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote