Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Joliet is a long way from Chicago, how did they get that tag?
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I grew up by the Chicago Airstream. It has been there for only a few years. My sister lives about 1 mile away. It does not look like it gets to much business.

That is my old stomping grounds. Everything is expensive around there except beer. My old buddies up there sure know how to knock them back. Chicago Blues Country. No nonsense people. You don't want to make them mad. They are into the Bears, Sox, Bulls, Black Hawks, Bikers, Beer and the Blues. Great folks and fun times. I will be up there sometime next year visiting relatives.

Brian
Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
That's the place where my daughter took her Argosy for warranty repair on a Dometic Penguin air conditioner. It took them days to figure out the problem. Dometic would only pay them a certain amount of money for the job & they wanted my daughter to pay the difference for the umpteen hours of labor. I got some encouragement from people here before I went out there & went to bat for her. Long story short, she didn't pay the difference. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. We're tuffer than the upper classers out there!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Try these folks Zanetti Trailer 817-599-9685. They are in Weatherford TX off I-20 and they know trailers like no bodies business.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Who am I to question the Forum’s resident expert on all things Airstream? I’ll just repeat more plainly exactly what happened:

This guy placed two small floor stands right at the REAR MOST part of the frame - at the bumper box and bumper - then used MY electric jack, rated at 3500 pounds, to lift the ENTIRE suspended weight of my 5000 pound trailer.

He didn’t even have the common sense to put a pair of stands at the axle plates, for safety.

What would have happened to the trailer if the jack had collapsed under the stress? Not to mention the guy’s legs spread out under my trailer as he pulled off all four wheels….

2Airs photos may prove nothing more than sloppiness at the JC plant. (And how do we know the floor stand isn’t touching on the other side of his trailer?)

In any event, how JC jacked up 2Air’s trailer and how Chicago jacked up mine are not the same thing. He wouldn’t have stood by calmly if they were.

After we left Joliet I noticed two permanent changes:

- there is very obvious sag along the splashback on the 8’ long galley counter. The front half of the counter, the 4’ on the front window side of the counter, now slopes down 5/16”.

- the jack has a different tone and seems much more labored in its work.

I can’t prove that any of this was caused in Joliet but it seems, at the least, a strange coincidence.

There is no sign of any damage to any other part of the trailer, inside or out. If the frame were bent I would assume that it would show somehow in the inner or outer skins.

I can’t figure out why the counter has permanently sagged.

And the squeak and squeal is still there. Having first claimed that my brakes shoes were too tightly set, the Chicago mob just kept my money and shrugged their shoulders. I had lost confidence in them by then and I wasn’t going to hang out in Joliet, forcing them to take the wheels off a third time.

That’s why I want to find somebody qualified in West Texas or Louisiana, where I am now, to identify and fix the problem.

Any suggestions, any one ??

Sergei
Sergei, I have heard good things about Airstream of Arkansas. Maybe you could give them a call. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Airstream of Arkansas is out of business....
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Airstream of Arkansas is out of business....
Actually, they're still there, they are just no longer an Airstream dealer or service center. Too bad, because those folks were top notch.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Those who travel many miles out of their way to obtain routine servicing at an Airstream dealer may want to rethink the value of a reputable SOB dealer.

The Airstream service network presents a challenge - not only is it small - but a number of its members seem to have less than glowing reports from its patrons.

Adding to the difficulty is what seems to be a deep-seated - almost religious belief - that Airstreams must be serviced by Airstream dealers - even some of the SOB dealers seem to believe this.

Although it is nice to think that an Airstream dealer is going to give us better service than others - in truth - with the exception of the aluminum construction - there is nothing magical about an Airstream that absolutely requires an Airstream dealer to service appliances, mechanisms and parts that are common to most trailers - this would include brakes.

Our closest Airstream dealership is a 10 hour drive away - so it was logical to extend a great relationship with an SOB dealership (2 hours away) that begain with our pop-up days well over 2 decades ago. They've conducted scheduled service and unscheduled repairs on the Bambi since 2003 - and done so without any problems for them - or us (although the first time they saw the Hensley was a bit of an adventure).

Not to say we've never felt the need to take advantage of Airstream service expertise - we've made the treck to JC twice - for warranty issues (obviously when it was new) and a couple of filiform issues (before I knew what it was called - and they were doing something about it) - and we've also been thankful for Can Am's services - not so much for their Airstream affiliation as for their towing expertise.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
age of entitlement?

if we individually and corporately know when something is done wrong, then I suppose we know what is the right way, correct? If so, why don't we just fix it ourselves? I think of those early caravans, and wonder if we would be able to make such a trek. Of course, I realize that people age, and trailers get bigger, and more complex. Both of which beg smaller, simpler rigs. The other thing is: What is the mean time between failure? Think of all the systems that a modern trailer consists of...do we know how to maintain them? or more importantly, do we know when they are working correctly, or beginning to fail? Or do we just haul away a 10 to 40 year old trailer and assume if something goes wrong, then we will be able to find someone to fix it according to how we want it done? for me, it has been shown that a great number of US citizens don't know how to build a fire safely, boil water so as to be able to drink it, layout and build temporary toilet facilities just to be able to survive a couple of weeks' time. Here WE are unable to maintain a rolling taj mahal-does that make us any different? For me, Wally's early visions were extensions of the idea of being a Boy Scout. Perhaps it is an ideal we as a society have totally outgrown-whether that is progress or not would be up to your own personal understanding of our society's current state. just sayin' ol' Bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Only MHO, but carry plenty of tools, and some credit cards. Maybe some cash. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I said this in a previous thread; Airstream should be more careful in setting up dealerships. Before issuing the dealership extensive training shouldbe required in servicing . Also they should openup the ability of non AS dealers to obtain the parts direct from the factory.
In the Quad City area there are 2 mobile RV service companies. One has 20+ years of service and the other 25+ years of service. I have used both of them and they are superior to any of the RV dealers.
The parent company of Airstream of Chicago is US Adventure of the Quad Cities (Davenport Iowa).
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont

Thanks everybody.

Finding a place that does truck and trailer running gear is what I intend to do.

Those that have followed my main thread here know that I started my project with the Wiltsie family at Wiltsie Truck Bodies in Aylmer, Ontario. I’ve been around their plant for hundreds of hours and I know what to look for.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701

But you’re driving south, trying to out-run cold weather, and something happens. In a sea of strangeness you seek some comfort in the Airstream name, even when you know it might be less well done but more expensive. It’s exactly like Brian’s Airstream story with his water heater – and a like amount of money pissed down a gopher hole.

What is Airstream doing allowing their name to be attached to a rag tag outfit like this?

Maggie says that Joliet’s Davenport, Iowa mother ship is a bit of a Chinese fire drill. There are not enough personnel at Joliet to have a drill: a manager, a service manager (LOL), a meek, lonely salesman and two “technicians” - one of whom had nothing to do all the while I was there. They all look desperate, like they fear Davenport might pull the plug on their sorry operation at any moment.

Did I express my concerns to them? I sure did; to all 5 assembled before they began their second, grumpy, pouty attempt at fixing things the next day.

I spent thousands of hours and dollars to make my rig the thing I wanted it to be. It really pisses me off to find incompetents like this masquerading under the Airstream name and putting everything that I worked at for so long at risk.

Sergei

PS:
Like Ranger Jay says, there is nothing magical about Airstream. They install the same low end RV garbage that the SOB firms use.

Also, Banjo Billy could likely get a job at Joliet if any of their own clowns fall by the wayside.
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
...since airstream frames are known for being overbuilt.. i guess its not an issue.
I don't think this is true... Airstream is better known for rear end sag, rust, and breakage. Although the newer trailers appear to have more substantial frames than the old ones.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #34
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I don't think this is true... Airstream is better known for rear end sag, rust, and breakage. Although the newer trailers appear to have more substantial frames than the old ones.

Sorry Dan... I can get a bit sarcastic..

I know that there are concerns with overall frame strength and this is what worries me about the way they lifted Sergei's trailer. I think 2air is right as far as lifting at the tongue and rear jack points.. no harm done but once you work your way back towards the bumper I think things really start to flex.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
So, like Brain said, I should have done the intelligent thing and looked for a family run trailer builder in a small or medium sized town.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thibs.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	118977

I found such a place in Duson, Louisiana, near Lafayette. A major supplier of heavy-duty trailer parts recommended them.

These people carefully jacked up my trailer, removed and inspected all four wheels, found everything in order and said that they thought the problem was with the TEKONSHA brake controller being set too high. They found the braking aggressive and took it down a couple of notches.

I had followed Tekonsha’s instructions in setting it up and the Mini was not on the truck here but we have a honest difference of opinion between experts and I’ll decide later what setting I am comfortable with.

Most of the squeak / squeal is gone. (Thibs says some is squeak is normal).

The cost for all this time, service and advice?

$39.76!

Why did AIRSTREAM of CHICAGO charge $357.57 to do the same thing but provide no solution? Because they are crooks and scammers, like many, many RV places are.

In the 5-year history of my project I had contact with Airstream dealers only three times, this place and two others. Each time I was screwed over or disappointed.

And, in listing the damage Airstream of Chicago caused to my trailer I forgot two items:

A Baby Moon hubcap fell off and was lost after I drove away from their place.

The trailer was filled with the reek of sewage when I arrived at the next town.

I found that one of the bayonet fittings on the macerator was broken and the O-ring seal to the outlet was not holding.

This is consistent with the body of the trailer being twisted enough to place severe pressure on the fittings in my waste management compartment.

Luckily, I had a spare part and was able to replace it myself, even though I had to buy a heat gun to shrink the fitting into place and work along the windy, freezing banks of the Mississippi at West Memphis, Arkansas.

So to recap, Airstream of Chicago charged me $360.00 for a $40.00 job and damaged my rig in 4 places while doing it.

Advice based on bitter experience: stay away from them.

Sergei
Old 01-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Smokless Joe:

I am glad everthing got set corrected with your rig. What I have found about this forum is all the research and experimentation done by forum members.

This forum has helped develop and preserve airstreams. This forum should be changed to the University of Airstream. This is where real development is happening. Airstream techs at the plant should be taking notes.

Sometimes it is just a person who thinks out of the box and comes up with a better idea or procedure which makes a product better. If it wasn't for this forums I would have never been able to do what I have with my airstreams.

I had the opportunity to teach for 15 years at a vocational center for high school kids. I learned so much from the other teachers and the students. The one thing that keeps me excited about teaching is when a kid comes up with a new and approved way to do something. They don't know all the rules so they can approach problems from a different perspective.

Airforums Rocks.

Brian
Old 08-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Here's an update for those that may remember this old thread.

I am making my liesurely way to Newfoundland just now and recently stopped, again with squeeking brakes, in the awe inspiring and beautiful little university town of Sackville, New Brunswick.

The next day I had a competent looking small town garage there pull my wheels, pack my bearings and inspect the brakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat and Brian BEN'S.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	165361

Pat and Brian at BEN"S SERVICE STATION jacked my trailer properly, carefully did the work in an hour and a half and charged me $84.12, labour, materials and taxes in.

They said the brakes were in perfect condition and suggested the controller might be set too high.

I backed it off later and eliminated the squeals so they are probably right.

Three things to point out here:

Anyone who charges $357.57 for this work, instead of the $39.76 in Louisiana a few years back or the $84 in Sackville, is likely a crook

Competent looking small town service stations or truck or trailer builders/service spots will likely be a safer bet than the average RV place masquerading as a service center

The instructions given by the brake control manufacturers probably assume usual circumstances. In my case, if I follow the standard set up procedure, my 5000 pound trailer is going squeal trying to stop my 9500 pound loaded truck.

Balancing things out, keeping in mind both safety and performance, is probably the best thing to do.

Sergei
Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Sergei, I am curious as to do you travel with spare grease seals or are they sort of universal auto parts store type. I have been told AS uses an upgraded, double lipped seal. Just wondering. Thanks.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
John, don't know much about this and don't travel with seals.

My trailer is a 1976, with the original axles and wheels, and in my experience most mechanics use a device that pushes out the old grease, while inserting new grease, when they re-pack the bearings.

Sergei
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks Sergei.

BTW, saw you and your rig at Springstream in Hiawassee a few years back. A real eye catcher. Gotta cause quite a commotion when you pull in somewhere!!

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote