Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Airstream of Chicago: CAUTION

While headed south recently my Argosy developed a squeak and squeal when the brakes were applied.

I was within driving distance of Airstream of Chicago at Joliet, Illinois so made a detour to see if I could get the problem fixed.

They recommended repacking the wheels while inspecting the brakes and drums. Estimated cost: $320.00.

Coming back for my trailer near closing time I was astonished to find them using two floor stands at the rear of my frame and MY electric jack at the front to raise and support the whole unit while they pulled the four wheels!

When I admonished them the technician said, “ Hell, I’ve used this method to lift 35’ trailers!”

I paid my bill as they were closing up and going home but when I went to drive off of the lot the squeal was still there.

So, I camped out front until morning when they agreed, pouting all the way, to re-do the job and promised to only lift my trailer by using rolling floor jacks at the axle plates.

I watched to make sure but even that did no good. They claimed that their inspection still turned up nothing. The squeaks and squeals remained.

I gave up on them and headed further south.

I could hardly believe that a so-called “authorized dealer” shop would lift an Airstream this way but I saw it with my own eyes.

Not only did the shop prove to be incompetent, the whole of the place looked “iffy” and fly-by-night to me.

I put this out as a caution for Chicago area folks and to ask if anyone has suggestions for better trained places in Louisiana or Texas.

Based on what I saw, “Authorized by Airstream” hasn’t too much value and I may be just as well off looking for a competent brake and trailer repair joint, rather than an RV place.

Sergei

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Wow! The guy's a genius! He turned three bucks worth of grease into $320. And . . . he didn't even have to fix the brakes.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Joliet and Davenport are know as "sunshine service"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Wow! The guy's a genius! He turned three bucks worth of grease into $320. And . . . he didn't even have to fix the brakes.

That was BRUTAL......Funny but brutal,.....

Did you ever find the source of the squeak?

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Did you inspect the trailer after that event? It would seem that the shell would be under an incredible amount of stress and sagging in the middle. Did you happen to snap a picture with your cell phone?

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
_

. , .
this reply is NOT in support of that specific dealership or their shop....

but

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
...I could hardly believe that a so-called “authorized dealer” shop would lift an Airstream this way but I saw it with my own eyes...]
and that is EXACTLY how the factory service center in j/c lifts them.

while they don't exactly use the very REAR, they do use the designated jack points (about 6 ft forward on a 34)

and they do NOT use the axle mounting plates for lifting,

but place jack stands in those locations (not touching) at the axle plates, just as safety/backups for the floor jacks.

so on a shorty it's a non issue.

my 34 has been airborne, using that approach many times at the mothership.

it IS the official way and works well.

((see post #42 here for picture proofs from the factory experts in j/c)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...tml#post428907
_________

using the axle mounting plates gets touted here (primarily by one source) and works ok too...

but there are issues like the jacks being IN THE WAY if working on stuff in that area.
_________

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks 2air...

Lets just say the trailer is hitched.. fully supported the way its designed for travel.. no problem.. now use the rear jack point designed by airstream to lift those tires off the ground.. still no problem..

Sergei states they lifted at the rear of the frame though.. near the rear bumper? past the stabilizers? when does it matter? That jack point is a reinforced section of frame rail or a predetermined stress point.. reminds me of the wing testing they performed for airliners.. I know.. two different animals.. but..

Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi vin

well without a PIC we r left to wonder how far REAR is REAR in the op...

and actually the official jack points (as described in 40 years of owners manuals)

aren't reinforced at all.

they are just 'locations' on the main frame rails,

that are occasionally marked with decals or small sections of aluminum.

often the markings are GONE 4 whatever reason, but there is no special reinforcements there.

the location for manually placed 'stabilizer jacks' is different and more rearward on old streams...

so the 2 spots can be confused.

but the point is in the photos linked earlier the trailer is FULLY SUPPORTED by the tongue jack and REAR floor jack/s.

the safety/jack stands placed at the axle mounting plates aren't even TOUCHING the axle plates ...

btw there wer 4-5 guys walking around INSIDE my stream doing interior and a/c repairs while it was UP on those jacks...

here's another pic (see post # 93) with the trailer lifted at the rear...

the jack points are just 1-2 feet from the stabilizer jack locations...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post841907

then another set of jacks were place at the plates (my request) just as back ups...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I remember you posting the thread on new tires.. thought to myself then OMG...

But saw the supports in the center thinking everything is right with the world and there is no way in hell your going to allow them (the creators) to lift that beast in such a way that might compromise all the seams and joints..

but now you say... "the safety/jack stands placed at the axle mounting plates aren't even TOUCHING..."

so I guess Sergei.. its ok.. no harm done if 2airs hasn't split in two..

(but im not going to do it... hee hee)

I guess you can add this one to the current running thread AirForums Contentious Topics - A Top 10 List

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
2air,

Any thoughts on how to find the magic jacking point on an old TT, which has no remnants of the original markings on the belly?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
_

. , .
zoOOOOom on this picture,

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1186545916

it's clear the jack stand at the axle mounting plate is NOT TOUCHING...

again this is on the floor of the factory service center in j/c.
________

of course THEY could be doing it wrong in jackson center, and teaching the dealers 2 do it wrong...

just sayin....

cheers
2air'

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi aage

does your unit have the bal stabilizer jacks common from that era?

if so my WAG is about 18 inches FORWARD from them.

i suspect you could email a/s tech with year/vin and ask for the APPROXIMATE locations...

they clearly have the info and might share it with you...

it is important to actually BE on the main beams and not slip/sliding around,

or the belly pan might get a hole poked in it....

((yes there is a thread with a picture of that happening too))

also keep in mind 70s units with rear tanks and baths,

MIGHT have frame sag/separation/rust and other spooky issues...

so YMMV...

the point isn't to REopen the 'where to jack' issue

rather just 2 suggest the service shop got THAT PART right...

even if they didn't find/fix the squeaks...

cheers
2air'

Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yeah,

Im sure they dont feel they are doing it wrong at jc.. the jack point is one thing.. but jack stands at the rear of the trailer frame is another. Still would have like to see a picture. The wing stress test intensifies with tension.. the frame and shell stress would intensify with the position of that jack stand.. the further back the more stress however, since airstream frames are known for being overbuilt.. i guess its not an issue.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This does deflect us from the issue that they charged $320 and had no effect on the reported problem whatsoever.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's how Bill Thomas RV worked on my brakes. Makes perfect sense to me. I walked around inside to get some things and it was rock solid. From opening and closing the door there was no evidence that the chassis was stressed by this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St. Charles 042.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	118234  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The dealers in Davenport and Joliet are affiliated with each other.

We found the Davenport service department to be a bit of a chinese fire drill, have had a couple of small things done in Joliet without incident.

The Joliet dealership had a big fire a couple of years ago and have relocated twice. I think they're still trying to get on their feet. I would sure let the service manager know of your concerns.

Maggie
Old 12-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Who am I to question the Forum’s resident expert on all things Airstream? I’ll just repeat more plainly exactly what happened:

This guy placed two small floor stands right at the REAR MOST part of the frame - at the bumper box and bumper - then used MY electric jack, rated at 3500 pounds, to lift the ENTIRE suspended weight of my 5000 pound trailer.

He didn’t even have the common sense to put a pair of stands at the axle plates, for safety.

What would have happened to the trailer if the jack had collapsed under the stress? Not to mention the guy’s legs spread out under my trailer as he pulled off all four wheels….

2Airs photos may prove nothing more than sloppiness at the JC plant. (And how do we know the floor stand isn’t touching on the other side of his trailer?)

In any event, how JC jacked up 2Air’s trailer and how Chicago jacked up mine are not the same thing. He wouldn’t have stood by calmly if they were.

After we left Joliet I noticed two permanent changes:

- there is very obvious sag along the splashback on the 8’ long galley counter. The front half of the counter, the 4’ on the front window side of the counter, now slopes down 5/16”.

- the jack has a different tone and seems much more labored in its work.

I can’t prove that any of this was caused in Joliet but it seems, at the least, a strange coincidence.

There is no sign of any damage to any other part of the trailer, inside or out. If the frame were bent I would assume that it would show somehow in the inner or outer skins.

I can’t figure out why the counter has permanently sagged.

And the squeak and squeal is still there. Having first claimed that my brakes shoes were too tightly set, the Chicago mob just kept my money and shrugged their shoulders. I had lost confidence in them by then and I wasn’t going to hang out in Joliet, forcing them to take the wheels off a third time.

That’s why I want to find somebody qualified in West Texas or Louisiana, where I am now, to identify and fix the problem.

Any suggestions, any one ??

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh boy.. thats what I was afraid of. You had mentioned the jacks being in the rear but at the bumper? Not sure the guys at JC would approve of that one. Sorry that happened to you..

Vin

Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Anything I do with wheels, breaks, bearings I take to a trailer shop. A place that sells or builds cargo trailers. I have been to two different places and both times they jacked my airstream up where it was supposed to be jacked up.

These businesses thrive on the running gear service. I also found they were better with 7 way plugs and lights. Bottom line I have yet to pay over 100.00 dollars for any service with these folks. I have paid $35.00 for running lights not working, $60.00 for checking brakes and bearings. I paid $80.00 per tire when I was buying D rated tires. That was the big expense with the trailer folks.

Everytime I have been to an RV place in Metro Atlanta it is $105.00 per one hour service not including parts. I had them do a gas line pressure check. It was $220.00 dollars, but better safe then sorry.

The last time I went to an Airstream dealer was when we were traveling. I paid $286.00 for water heater pilot light repairs. They charged me for labor and told me they could not find the problem. Airstream forums told me to adjust my thermostat which I did. I have not had a problem since.

My buddy told me that everytime he goes to a RV service center he pays at least $1500 for service. He does have a motor home.

Thank God for the Airstream Knowledge Forums. You folks rock!!!!!!

Brian
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
It sounds to me as if it is just "the Chicago way".
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote