Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
I could take pictures of the Astrodome and its mounting flange inside and out on our 1960 Traveler and post them in the thread if you like. It would be late tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning. There was a change from the astrodome with the square corners to the one with the round corners in 1965 or 1966. You can see the difference on the Vintage Trailer Supply site: Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! .

Your should be the same as our 1960 but take a look and I post as soon as I can.

These are the best I could do since I can't lift a ladder (surgery, nothing over 10 lbs.) to get closer pictures on the roof.

The flange is made up of three sheet aluminum pieces, a "Z" shape that is riveted to the roof, an "inside trim angle" that is riveted to the inside skin and forms the trim piece seen around the astrodome opening and "angle 1" that fits inside of the inside trim angle that closes the opening between the inside and outside skin. I have sketched each sheet metal piece and included dimensions. Note that the vertical length of the inside trim angle could be one or two 1/16" taller to make sure that you don't see a slight gap between the top of the inside trim angle and the bottom of angle 1.

I don't think you can exactly duplicate the rectangular Z shape because it appears to be stretch formed out of a aluminum with the shape and its flanges being bent to form both front and rear 90 degree corners so there is no joint at the corners. However that an be modified by making each side a separate piece and 1. making the lower flange of the "Z" shape overlap at each corner and 2. making the vertical section of the "Z" shape wrap around the corner. A good sheet metal shop should be able to help come up with something that is water tight at the corners.

Also note that the mount for the astrodome vent operator must be fabricated. Let me know if you need dimensions for it.

When assembled the inside dimensions between the inside trim angles are 25-15/16" long and 13 3/4" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	57664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3010.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	57665  

Name:	IMG_3011.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	57666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3012.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	57667  

Name:	IMG_3015t.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	57668  

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I didn't size the image of the sheet metal shapes that make up the flange assembly properly so it didn't load. Here it is.

Another note, I would buy the proper square cornered astrodome (I seemed to remember that you bought the one with the round corners) if you are going to fabricate this roof flange assembly so that you can make sure that it matches the seal in the astrodome when you are forming and mocking up the upper rectangular "Z" Flange.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	astrodome_2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	57670  

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Hey Don, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such great pics and detailed drawings, I will definitely be using your info for reference for the square cornered astrodome when I get to it, I would like to take you up on your kind offer to supply the specs on the vent operator bracket, I have new replacement winders from Inland RV, and was a little mystified in their application, do they allow for an insect screen on those? Thanks again,
Pete
Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethefeet
Hey Don, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such great pics and detailed drawings, I will definitely be using your info for reference for the square cornered astrodome when I get to it, I would like to take you up on your kind offer to supply the specs on the vent operator bracket, I have new replacement winders from Inland RV, and was a little mystified in their application, do they allow for an insect screen on those? Thanks again,
Pete
I'll check the Overlander which still has its Astrodome in place. I think it had a simple screen that was an interference fit into the opening with grommets at each end for the vent lifter shafts to pass through; the knobs on the lifter shafts help keep the screen in place.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
I'll check the Overlander which still has its Astrodome in place. I think it had a simple screen that was an interference fit into the opening with grommets at each end for the vent lifter shafts to pass through; the knobs on the lifter shafts help keep the screen in place.

Here are two pictures of the lifter bracket and a sketch of the dimensions. If you need to talk PM or email me and I'll give you my phone number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3018.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	57770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3019.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	57771  

Name:	Lifter Bracket.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	57772  

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Excellent, with your drawings to work off, and as I am in need of 4 or more, I think I'll have a go at making something like that myself . Great drawings, thanks for that.
Pete
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Excellent, with your drawings to work off, and as I am in need of 4 or more, I think I'll have a go at making something like that myself . Great drawings, thanks for that.
Pete
Petethefeet, the hardest thing will be to make the corners water tight. The original top flange (the "Z" shape) was made up of four parts. The front and rear sections were "U " shaped, stamped or stretch formed out of single sheets so that the lower flange of the "Z" wrapped around the corners with no seams to seal at the corner. The other two sections were the two side pieces that were riveted to the front and rear sections. A sheet metal fabricator may have trouble duplicating the section with no seam at the corner unless it is welded. You may want to use material thick enough to be welded to solve that potential problem.

I did look at the Astrodome that Inland RV sell and the ones that Vintage Trailer Supply sell. They appear to be slightly different although I believe they both fit the stock flange. The astrodome from Inland RV is flat on top and has sharper corners than you will see on the deteriorated one on my trailer. It might be easier to fabricate a top flange with 90 degree corners, they would be mostly hidden from view anyway, that might be easier to form and seal the corners.

Whatever you do make sure to post pictures for us before you mount them.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

I did look at the Astrodome that Inland RV sell and the ones that Vintage Trailer Supply sell. They appear to be slightly different although I believe they both fit the stock flange. The astrodome from Inland RV is flat on top and has sharper corners than you will see on the deteriorated one on my trailer. It might be easier to fabricate a top flange with 90 degree corners, they would be mostly hidden from view anyway, that might be easier to form and seal the corners.

Whatever you do make sure to post pictures for us before you mount them.
We have never made a "flat" top solardome or astrodome.

They all have at least a 1 inch bubble.

When you look at the photo's in our web site, note that the light reflections "are not" in a straight line.

All the corners have a small radius.

Andy
Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
I thought I would have a go at fabricating the lifter brackets. For the amount of components involved and their respective profiles,not to mention, as you say ,the stretch forming , it may be more efficient and simpler for me just to run with the recycling of the 2 smaller vent surrounds welded together. And trim the interior in keeping with the rest of the trailer. Just try and keep it consistent. Will post pics before installing.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
I thought I would have a go at fabricating the lifter brackets. For the amount of components involved and their respective profiles,not to mention, as you say ,the stretch forming , it may be more efficient and simpler for me just to run with the recycling of the 2 smaller vent surrounds welded together. And trim the interior in keeping with the rest of the trailer. Just try and keep it consistent. Will post pics before installing.

The lifter brackets will be the easiest thing to fabricate. Each one is made from a single sheet and just cut, bent and and folded. The two locating pins for the lifters could be made with small screws and nuts located in the two side pieces.

I would go to a local sheet metal fabricator, say someone who does commercial and residential heating systems, show them posts, pictures and sketches and have them quote a price to make it out of aluminum. I had a local company fabricate a new drip pan out of stainless steel for our parrot cage for about $25. I thought it was a bargain.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The lifter brackets will be the easiest thing to fabricate. Each one is made from a single sheet and just cut, bent and and folded. The two locating pins for the lifters could be made with small screws and nuts located in the two side pieces.

I would go to a local sheet metal fabricator, say someone who does commercial and residential heating systems, show them posts, pictures and sketches and have them quote a price to make it out of aluminum. I had a local company fabricate a new drip pan out of stainless steel for our parrot cage for about $25. I thought it was a bargain.

Small pop rivets are used for the pins.

Andy
Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Sounds good, I thought I would try making up a template/ mockup out of cardboard and work from that, I'd like to think it can't be that hard ( mind you, I remember thinking that very same line before I even bought my first Airstream! Seems like a long time ago), so will have a go. If it were to be made from Ali, what thickness or guage should it be?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Sounds good, I thought I would try making up a template/ mockup out of cardboard and work from that, I'd like to think it can't be that hard ( mind you, I remember thinking that very same line before I even bought my first Airstream! Seems like a long time ago), so will have a go. If it were to be made from Ali, what thickness or guage should it be?
I would think 3/64 or 1/16 but I can get the thickness later today or tomorrow, maybe Andy can comment if he knows what to use.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I would think 3/64 or 1/16 but I can get the thickness later today or tomorrow, maybe Andy can comment if he knows what to use.
Vent cover frames are made with extrusions that are formed in a machine.

If a person wanted to duplicate the extrusion with flat stock, then I would suggest that extrusions be used instead of flat sheet metal. 1/8" thick would work ok.

Andy