Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethefeet
Excellent, with your drawings to work off, and as I am in need of 4 or more, I think I'll have a go at making something like that myself . Great drawings, thanks for that.
Pete
Petethefeet, the hardest thing will be to make the corners water tight. The original top flange (the "Z" shape) was made up of four parts. The front and rear sections were "U " shaped, stamped or stretch formed out of single sheets so that the lower flange of the "Z" wrapped around the corners with no seams to seal at the corner. The other two sections were the two side pieces that were riveted to the front and rear sections. A sheet metal fabricator may have trouble duplicating the section with no seam at the corner unless it is welded. You may want to use material thick enough to be welded to solve that potential problem.

I did look at the Astrodome that Inland RV sell and the ones that Vintage Trailer Supply sell. They appear to be slightly different although I believe they both fit the stock flange. The astrodome from Inland RV is flat on top and has sharper corners than you will see on the deteriorated one on my trailer. It might be easier to fabricate a top flange with 90 degree corners, they would be mostly hidden from view anyway, that might be easier to form and seal the corners.

Whatever you do make sure to post pictures for us before you mount them.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman

I did look at the Astrodome that Inland RV sell and the ones that Vintage Trailer Supply sell. They appear to be slightly different although I believe they both fit the stock flange. The astrodome from Inland RV is flat on top and has sharper corners than you will see on the deteriorated one on my trailer. It might be easier to fabricate a top flange with 90 degree corners, they would be mostly hidden from view anyway, that might be easier to form and seal the corners.

Whatever you do make sure to post pictures for us before you mount them.
We have never made a "flat" top solardome or astrodome.

They all have at least a 1 inch bubble.

When you look at the photo's in our web site, note that the light reflections "are not" in a straight line.

All the corners have a small radius.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
I thought I would have a go at fabricating the lifter brackets. For the amount of components involved and their respective profiles,not to mention, as you say ,the stretch forming , it may be more efficient and simpler for me just to run with the recycling of the 2 smaller vent surrounds welded together. And trim the interior in keeping with the rest of the trailer. Just try and keep it consistent. Will post pics before installing.
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
I thought I would have a go at fabricating the lifter brackets. For the amount of components involved and their respective profiles,not to mention, as you say ,the stretch forming , it may be more efficient and simpler for me just to run with the recycling of the 2 smaller vent surrounds welded together. And trim the interior in keeping with the rest of the trailer. Just try and keep it consistent. Will post pics before installing.

The lifter brackets will be the easiest thing to fabricate. Each one is made from a single sheet and just cut, bent and and folded. The two locating pins for the lifters could be made with small screws and nuts located in the two side pieces.

I would go to a local sheet metal fabricator, say someone who does commercial and residential heating systems, show them posts, pictures and sketches and have them quote a price to make it out of aluminum. I had a local company fabricate a new drip pan out of stainless steel for our parrot cage for about $25. I thought it was a bargain.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The lifter brackets will be the easiest thing to fabricate. Each one is made from a single sheet and just cut, bent and and folded. The two locating pins for the lifters could be made with small screws and nuts located in the two side pieces.

I would go to a local sheet metal fabricator, say someone who does commercial and residential heating systems, show them posts, pictures and sketches and have them quote a price to make it out of aluminum. I had a local company fabricate a new drip pan out of stainless steel for our parrot cage for about $25. I thought it was a bargain.

Small pop rivets are used for the pins.

Andy
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Sounds good, I thought I would try making up a template/ mockup out of cardboard and work from that, I'd like to think it can't be that hard ( mind you, I remember thinking that very same line before I even bought my first Airstream! Seems like a long time ago), so will have a go. If it were to be made from Ali, what thickness or guage should it be?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Sounds good, I thought I would try making up a template/ mockup out of cardboard and work from that, I'd like to think it can't be that hard ( mind you, I remember thinking that very same line before I even bought my first Airstream! Seems like a long time ago), so will have a go. If it were to be made from Ali, what thickness or guage should it be?
I would think 3/64 or 1/16 but I can get the thickness later today or tomorrow, maybe Andy can comment if he knows what to use.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I would think 3/64 or 1/16 but I can get the thickness later today or tomorrow, maybe Andy can comment if he knows what to use.
Vent cover frames are made with extrusions that are formed in a machine.

If a person wanted to duplicate the extrusion with flat stock, then I would suggest that extrusions be used instead of flat sheet metal. 1/8" thick would work ok.

Andy
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Yeah, I was only going to have a go at the lifter brackets, they are just folded, not from an extrusion right?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yeah, I was only going to have a go at the lifter brackets, they are just folded, not from an extrusion right?

The old style vent operator brackets, were made from a strong steel.

I have no info as to what grade of steel was used. Could be spring steel.

Andy
Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Pete (and everyone),

Thanks for all the great information in this thread. The Astrodome in my '61 Overlander has been removed by a PO and the frame & brackets are missing. I had no information about the fabrication of the frame & brackets. I need to get started and order the Astrodome & vent lifters.........now, there's no reason to wait.
Good luck!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The old style vent operator brackets, were made from a strong steel.

I have no info as to what grade of steel was used. Could be spring steel.

Andy
Mmm. It could be a job for my local engineer shop after all.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Mmm. It could be a job for my local engineer shop after all.
The lifter bracket is made out of 0.060 inch sheet steel or 1.5 mm if your using metric. I think it can be made out of standard steel sheet stock.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Quote:
The lifter bracket is made out of 0.060 inch sheet steel or 1.5 mm if your using metric. I think it can be made out of standard steel sheet stock.
Thanks for that conversion, I think I will have a go at it now, I'm going to be doing a few imperial/metricconversions myself when I make that template. I'm not too bad on lengths and the like, it's volumes that I scratch my head about sometimes. You have all been such a help.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
Pete (and everyone),

Thanks for all the great information in this thread. The Astrodome in my '61 Overlander has been removed by a PO and the frame & brackets are missing. I had no information about the fabrication of the frame & brackets. I need to get started and order the Astrodome & vent lifters.........now, there's no reason to wait.
Good luck!
Great! I'm glad I could play a modest role in helping to get a problem discussed that others are interested in too. I was wondering how common it was, as all my trailers have it, regardless of year. I was thinking it might be due to it being the foremost vent and therefore copped the most damage first as it was being towed, or maybe because as it is the largest vent, it has more area exposed.
Pete
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Waahey! Just got my recycled roof surround back, from my friend the reluctant welder. Gave it a clean and painted with zinc rich paint. It is'nt perfect by any means but should be good to go now and may even be able to reuse the gasket surrounding the top, I hope to get it installed very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1615.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	59178  
Old 04-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Now that is a good looking solution.... have you seen this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...tch-37829.html ? A possible alternative to the regular....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #38
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This seller must read the forums and list the things being discussed... I have seen this happen a few times now. eBay Motors: AIRSTREAM ROOF VENT CURB SPARTAN SILVER STREAK TRAILER (item 220229164134 end time May-04-08 18:16:12 PDT) Start a thread about where to find used floor tiles and within a few days he will list those.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That's pretty effective. Another great thing about Airforums.

I did note the 'all aluminum' roof vent curb is pretty rusty.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That seller chops up a lot of trailers... sure hope they are all salvage and not bought just to chop apart.