Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Stolen Airstreams????

My wife and I have never used our 17' Caravel for camping at a public campground but plan on doing so this coming summer. However a question came up that I could not answer.

Has anyone ever heard of a trailer being stolen from a campground while the owners were away for a few hours? My wife has the vision of returning from the beach to find our beloved Airstream gone. I now there are locks that fit over the hitch hole to deter anyone from hooking it up to a tow vehicle and driving off with it. However locks can be picked or otherwise compromised.

What other steps can be taken to prevent this?

Thanks,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you can start here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ock-47196.html

and here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ore-46976.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Mike, you're much more likely to find it missing from where ever you store it. You can put all the locks in the world on it, but a determined thief with a roll back tow truck is going to winch it up and take it anyway. You're also more likely to find the tow vehicle stolen from a campground than the trailer. You're also much more likely to have the trailer damaged by a tree falling on it in a campground than it being stolen. Crashing with the trailer happens MUCH more frequently than trailer thefts. In other words, there are a lot of things that are much more likely to happen to your trailer than it being stolen from a campground.

Yes, trailer theft from a campground has undoubtedly happened somewhere, but it's very VERY rare. I can't ever remember anyone reporting such an incident here.

Make sure the trailer's insured, and don't worry about it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
That is a very good question about airstream trailers being stolen. I am going to a conference in several weeks and was thinking of pulling my airstream and staying in it. I would be at the conference from 8:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M. for a few days. I decided to stay in a hotel instead because my airstream would be void of humans all day. It would be to easy to back up and steal it. If somebody wants it they will find away to take it. To many battery operated tools that can cut through anything.

Brian
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
sorry to do this but... WHAT!?!?
Living in that kind of fear must be crushing. Your trailer was meant to travel and to leave it home out of fear some one MIGHT steal it just seems odd to me. If that is your worry, maybe you should think about why you own it in the first place. Sorry to be an @ss about this but I just don't get it. It is my hope you will use your trailer and enjoy it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've never had a problem, been camping in some sort of trailer since the early 70's, but on the other hand, I do keep the hitch locked at all times. Yes, it's insured, but you know the hastle of replacing something like an Airstream.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Yes they do get stolen and reported on this site from time to time.

I have 1st hand knowledge of one being stolen when the owner set it up on a Tue evening to save a good site for the upcoming holiday week-end they went back after work on Fri and the trailer was gone.

How often is an AS stolen "very very seldom" but leaving it obviously unattended for several days who knows.

Just be smart lock the hitch, set out some chairs, place a spare set of shoes/boots outside by the door and don't leave it at home your TV is thousands of times more likely to be stolen.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While we haven't had our trailer stolen, we have had things taken from our site. While camped in Myrtle Beach at the Ocean Lakes campground we left to go to the store. When we got back we found that our bumper caps (on our old sob trailer) were taken along with a set of aircraft wheel chocks that I gotten from my brother who is in the aircraft business. The folks who were camped next to us had left during the period we were gone and they had a wreck of a trailer. I specifically remember watching them set up next to us and noticed that they didn't have either of those items with their trailer.

I'm sure they saw the opportunity as they were leaving.

This is my only experience we have had with theft at a campground in over 36 years.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Never really worried about it, like Jack said, it's more likely the important little things will find legs.

I do feel more secure with the haha, what with the backwards stinger and all.

Normal precautions...lock the tongue.

Not so normal....Wheel Immobilizer Boot Menu
Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Albuqueruqe , New Mexico
You can what if everything in life! **** can happen… 3 years we took our SOB on a 2 week trip on the last day of the trip we disconnected from the trailer, and went to a restaurant for lunch. After returning to the parking lot my brand new f350 was gone…. Now it was a real bummer, but this is why we have insurance. I’m not going to let it stop me from enjoying the things I love to do, we just need to learn from it (and hang the bastard if we find them). My new truck has a tracking system on it, I guess you could also install one of these on your Airstream too, although I have never been to worried about someone stealing my Airstream. I do Know someone who leaves the electric jacks down and then switches a hidden power supply kill switch, if you tried to steal his you would be dragging the landing gear as you went down the road…
nmgt350h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Stolen

Life is too short to worry. I used to worry about rain spots on my newly polished shell. Take resonable precautions and then go have fun....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I block the AS in the driveway with a old truck

When at home I try to always leave a vehicle in front of the AS. It's parked on the top of an incline that goes behind the house into woods. It's backed into a space next to the house with a fence and tree on either side. The with a lock on the hitch. If someone wants something just make it more difficult and hopefully they will go to the easier target. Bad guys are usually in a big rush.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Stolen

Found this pic in a thread by Mexray:
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
No, have heard of vehicles, generators and lawn chairs but these were at boondocking sites.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
_

. , .
a frequent and REGULAR question here...

as is almost everything u might think to ask.

so use the search tool to FIND the info...

it's there, just like the trailer that just disappeared!

along with the threads linked above here's another of the many on this issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ers-29301.html

a few useful answers are provided, along with the guns, dogs. "u can't stop it" and 'don't worry, be happy' answers...

lojack it, denver boot it, but don't be foolish enough to 'save a camp site' by leaving yer trailer in a public campground several days UNattended...

dat's dumb.

and there are theft reports posted from every imaginable location,

including hooked to the tv hitch, yard, campground, dealer lot, wally parking lot, and so on...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't think campgrounds are, in general, risky areas, because there are lots of witnesses and thieves don't like witnesses. Storage lots, as noted upthread, pose much more of a problem, and accept no liability in most cases, making this an area where the owner must use caution.

Spending the night in a hotel while the trailer is in the lot is risky. I've known people who have had SOBs stolen this way.

I have, at various times, secured tandem-axle trailers by running a chain through both wheels and padlocking it. There are various high security cable locks that could be used for this. Most thieves aren't going to bring two tires, a jack, and a lug wrench - a cutting torch is cheaper at that point.

But choosing a suitable location is much of the answer. Even a well secured trailer can be subject to thousands of dollars of vandalism in a minute or two.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Our 63 Safari had a manual tongue jack, when left in storage I lifted it most of the way up and took the handle off, anything to slo'em down.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder?

Most of you know how the power jack shorts out where the wires run under the propane tank cover....I put in a fuse holder, if needed I suppose I could just remove the fuse....thank's never occurred to me.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mike, I don't blame you, I feel the same way when we leave our Caravel unattended. It's small, cute, attracts a lot of attention, and just about any vehicle that drives by could hook it up and tow it away. Our solution is to stay in parks with camp hosts who might notice that sort of shenanigans if we are going to be away for much of the time. We use a hitch lock as well. I still don't feel safe enough about it to leave our dog unattended in the trailer when we're going to be gone a couple hours. Losing the trailer would be inconvenient, but losing our dog would be devastating. So the dogs stay home unless it's a trip where we plan to hang around the trailer most of the time, or can take them with us wherever we go.

I say get a hitch lock or a wheel lock of some kind, stay where you feel safe and secure leaving it unattended, and get out and start enjoying that thing! Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
when away a few nights

We have been using the setup described in post #24 of this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/167282-post24.html

Even though we really only apply the Pit Bull when we are to be gone one or more nights, it does give us a feeling that "some other trailer" would be an easier target that ours.

Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
What about wheel locks and chocks like some listed below. Do they actually deter someone who might want to hook up to the trailer and take off.

Don

Wheel locks and chocks for your RV from tweetys.com
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, security locks