Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Door bell

I have a 1983 Excella 31' This trailer has a door bell on the Handel. That does not work. Does anyone know how to gain access to it and make the repair ?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
I have a 1983 Excella 31' This trailer has a door bell on the Handel. That does not work. Does anyone know how to gain access to it and make the repair ?
I don't know how similar our trailers are, but my 2010 Classic 31 has a door bell. The door bell itself is mounted under the folding extension for the galley counter (the button is by the outside of the door). The door bell is powered by two D cell batteries. The batteries jiggle loose in transit and that is what causes it to quit. The cover just pulls off and I push the batteries back into place. Some day when I decide I really need a door bell, I will find a way to hold them in better.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
The door bell button, (switch), is the same as most homes have.

Carefully, slip a sharp edge object under the chrome ring, and give it a little twist, and the switch will come out. If it corroded it place, then you will have get a little more serious with the removal.

The chime box, or bell, should be mounted behind the front lounge, on the wall.

If it's history, a replacement can be obtained from Home Depot.

You will find that the chime box operates on 24 volts AC. That means it will also work on 12 volts DC. That's why Airstream used them.

All you need is whatever chime box sound you like, as long as it operates on 24 volts AC.

And of course, replace the door bell switch, which is very common.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Tom,

When I got my '83 Excella my doorbell didn't work either. It turned out that the button had not been used in a long time. Several pushes freed it up and it works now. If I don't press the button for a long time, it takes a few tries to free it back up. I ring it pretty often now to keep it working.

By the way, nobody has ever rung the doorbell but me. Everyone else just knocks on the door.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Doorbell

I am truly thankful for all that replied to my post. When I decided to ask about this issue I thought now who in the world is going to ring that bell.What do I care if it works or not. But then being a man and curious by nature. I wanted everything to work. So here you go. I am laughing about the post now as I type this out. Have a great day fellows and once again thanks for your replies.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
My kids ring the bell every time they come in the trailer!! That little glowing light is irresistable to them.
Had to repair ours when we got it too. Everything Andy said is absolutely accurate. My switch terminals were very corroded--I put some dialetic grease on them and also put a little sealant around the backside of the doorbell button to keep it from getting rain in there because it obviously had in the past.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00382.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	93886

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	93887 Hey fellows I found this transformer right were you said it would be. The doorbell looks like this. I removed the black button with my pocket knife and sprayed some WD-40 up in the hole. It loosened it up some and made it ring a really sick sound hahaha! I snapped the pictures because I would like a closer look behind this white surface surrounding the black button. How to I get this button out without tearing it up. Will it still come on out with some prying? Or do I have some after market button I will need to break out of the hole to exposed the wires.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Tom,
The little white trim ring on mine disentigrated when I gently pried it out--dryrotted.
I bought a replacement button at Lowe's (and that is what I put the dialetic grease on, should have been more clear). It was not a perfect fit--it had to be trimmed down a little to get it to fit properly.
If yours is working it might be best to leave it alone.
Good luck,
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When I bush the button on our '83. the bell gives a "clink" rather than a "ding". Now that I know how the thing works, I can't wait to get back to the trailer and check it out, knowing that it can be replaced so easily.

Thanks to Andy and the rest.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote