Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Door is hard to close

We had the main door seals replaced on our 70 Overlander including the screen door back in Feb at the factory. The main door was never super easy to close from the outside but it's a bit tighter with the new gasket and when you want to shut the main door from the inside you have to slam the heck out of it to get it to shut. The original lock works fine but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it latch easier? Don't want to wake up the neighbors trying to close my door!
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
We had the main door seals replaced on our 70 Overlander including the screen door back in Feb at the factory. The main door was never super easy to close from the outside but it's a bit tighter with the new gasket and when you want to shut the main door from the inside you have to slam the heck out of it to get it to shut. The original lock works fine but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it latch easier? Don't want to wake up the neighbors trying to close my door!
Lube the entrance door striker bolt and striker pocket with "silicone spray".

It does an amazing job making the door close "MUCH" easier.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I have an '80 Excella and the axles are due to be replaced. If the unit is perfectly level the door shuts perfectly, otherwise its a problem. Might look at your axle situation. I even thought I had a problem with the latch. Silly me.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would first swing the door towards the closed position and try and note where the resistance changes from hinge friction to resistance because of the gasket compressing. The large the angle at which you note resistance from the gasket will give you an idea of where the problem is.

If that angle is say greater than 10 degrees the hinge side of the gasket is being compressed TOO soon and could be reduced if you pad out the hinges against the trailer body.

If the door almost reaches the latch and a last heavy nudge will latch it you may be able to just adjust the strike plate, on the door frame, out to reduce the effort necessary to latch the door.

As a last resort you could file the tongue back. If you do this be sure not to introduce a taper to the face of the tongue as this will keep the latch from seating all the way and may result in the door flying open while on the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
I thought I had lubed it all up but I'll check that first and then see where it's having trouble. I know it's not an axle issue since we just had both axles replaced a few months ago. I'm inclined to think it's the new gasket but I'm reluctant to change that since it seals really well. Thanks!
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote