Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
HDMI to rear bedroom TV

While installing satellite TV, I apparently disconnected the HDMI cable from the HDMI splitter (located in the space below the Samsung DVD player in the right front storage space). I removed the white wooden box in which the DVD player sits to get to the splitter, and must have pulled on the HDMI cable to the rear bedroom TV. I checked the connection in the bedroom and it’s OK. I wonder if there is an HDMI connection somewhere between the front and rear that came loose.

Any advice would be appreciated.
jar1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1950 View Post
While installing satellite TV, I apparently disconnected the HDMI cable from the HDMI splitter (located in the space below the Samsung DVD player in the right front storage space). I removed the white wooden box in which the DVD player sits to get to the splitter, and must have pulled on the HDMI cable to the rear bedroom TV. I checked the connection in the bedroom and it’s OK. I wonder if there is an HDMI connection somewhere between the front and rear that came loose.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Not sure if this helps, but I too thought I had an issue with my front TV. Turns out, the HDMI cable to the TV was not in tight. I checked it twice, and looked fine, before fully disconnecting it and trying again...was pulling out my hair; then it all worked. Worth a try, perhaps.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hey there - It’s a single wire, there are no junctions. One of the 2 ends is not fully plugged in. Or your switch died but that is unlikely.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
make sure that you did not accidentally disconnect the power to the HDMI splitter

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Wulfraat is right, there is no junction between the splitter and the rear TV, just a single cable. There are similar threads on the issue that I was following, when I had the same problem.

There is a similar thread link below where I posted my journey in trying to get audio to play on the TV's. HDMI splitters are tricky in that there apparently is a sequence that needs to be followed in hooking everything up called HDMI "handshake".
It sounds like your problem is not exactly the same, but maybe will supply additional insight.

I certainly admire the other posters here who are connecting more sources than just the supplied two way splitters....probably above my pay grade.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...re-169392.html
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I certainly admire the other posters here who are connecting more sources than just the supplied two way splitters....probably above my pay grade.

Yeah - I ditched the stock stereo, upgraded to a touch screen entertainment system, and replaced the splitter with a 4-way HDMI switch so I can pull in different sources (DVD, Apple TV, iPhone, etc) and distribute to different TVs.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yeah - I ditched the stock stereo, upgraded to a touch screen entertainment system, and replaced the splitter with a 4-way HDMI switch so I can pull in different sources (DVD, Apple TV, iPhone, etc) and distribute to different TVs.
Would love to see how you did that if you have any pictures or videos.

Thanks
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Would love to see how you did that if you have any pictures or videos.

Thanks
Me too. Please share what you purchased and any installation tips. I agree, that the stock radio unit is a pain to work with...there has got to be better technology units without braking the bank!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
HDMI to rear bedroom TV

Here is a link to the upgrade on my 2008:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...de-161787.html

I did a similar upgrade in my 2017.... but in that install I used a newer pioneer app radio unit and of course have hdmi switching / routing for video sources. It was a little more straight forward without the convoluted rats nest of wiring to clean up.

I’ll try to find that link and photos .....
Old 12-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Not sure about your AS but mine has a short HDMI cable from TV to line from the front. Th short one was damaged before I picked up new and thought they would have to replace full run and so did dealer. Found the short end one myself. Easy to re0lace
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Here is a link to the upgrade on my 2008:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...de-161787.html

I did a similar upgrade in my 2017.... but in that install I used a newer pioneer app radio unit and of course have hdmi switching / routing for video sources. It was a little more straight forward without the convoluted rats nest of wiring to clean up.

I’ll try to find that link and photos .....
Please do. I am not liking the Clarion unit either...
Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
HDMI to rear bedroom TV

Ok turns out I did not do a full write-up of the second install (it was a single post in a thread with a couple photos). The process is pretty much the same as the other write-up I did. Some photos below of the equipment I used second time around.

I also installed a rocketfish 4-port hdmi switch which allows me to select between sources. I mounted this on top of the white DVD cabinet along with a latest generation Apple TV unit.

The head unit I used was a pioneer SPH-DA120 - it does not have a DVD player built in like the one I used in my first install, its just a touch-screen unit... but it does support Apple CarPlay.

I still use the DVD player that came with the trailer when we want to play DVDs, but we typically just stream content through our Apple TV, which is connected to the HDMI switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	301681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	301682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	301683  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks. I went through 2 of those HDMI splitters couple years ago. The first I got from Radio Shack; it would get lost sometimes when I turned on a device. Thought I had some issues with my components; turned out their were other issues with the switch. Second one I had for a time, but only used it to switch my sound bar and TV when selecting music or video. Worked well. I may try your solution.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The problem I faced was not being able to split the HDMI satellite TV signal to both the front and rear TVs. I now get it (I think). The Dish Tailgater model I bought was designed to serve one TV, not two. The two TV model is more expensive and also requires a second receiver. There must be an HDMI
“handshaking” limitation built into my model.
jar1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1950 View Post
The problem I faced was not being able to split the HDMI satellite TV signal to both the front and rear TVs. I now get it (I think). The Dish Tailgater model I bought was designed to serve one TV, not two. The two TV model is more expensive and also requires a second receiver. There must be an HDMI
“handshaking” limitation built into my model.
We have a "single TV" version of the Dish Tailgater and the Wally (which is the receiver that works with the Tailgater dish) and I can play the same satellite program on both TVs at the same time using the HDMI splitter. In order to play different shows on each TV you do need a special Tailgater dish but if you have the auto-aiming version of the dish (i.e., the one that is fully enclosed) know that it only has a single LNB antenna and while it can receive two different programs simultaneously both feeds must be on the same satellite (which is not always the case as Dish and Direct use three different satellites to provide their programming.) In order to view two different programs that are on different satellite feeds, you will need a satellite antenna (e.g., the dish) that has multiple LNBs. At this time the only available ones that are self-aiming are quite large, expensive and are usually mounted on the roof of the RV. These are the ones that look very much like the ones you see in fixed residential situations. I rarely see these on Airstreams as the roof space is usually quite limited.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Has anyone had the problem of having the cable tv in the main area working fine but unable to auto program the bedroom tv cable channels? All the obvious cables are tight but I just can't figure out the problem. Maybe a loose HDMI cable somewhere else that I don't know about.
petermday is offline   Reply With Quote