Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
B&J
Happy Campers

Conversion to Satellite TV Question

I've read through many pages on the forum, and I didn't find information I'm seeking regarding a two TV/receiver hookup with satellite dish in the Airstream. All of the threads address a single satellite TV/receiver hookup. I just purchased a DTV 3LNB dish along with a HD Winegard tripod and from all that I've read, it's straightforward on hooking up a single TV with a satellite dish and receiver. We have DTV and they require a receiver for each TV, along with a coax cable running from the dish to each receiver. You cannot use a splitter according to what I've read. With only one cable TV jack/receptacle on the roadside belly of trailer, it looks like I will only be able to hookup one satellite TV and that will be connected in the galley using the faceplate underneath the dining table. I was hoping I can also plug in the satellite receiver and TV in the bedroom and also receive all the channels/programming. We've been using cable TV at the campsites, and we can watch cable TV with both TV's and watch different channels simultaneously. My question is with the satellite hookup I'm about to attempt, is there a way to utilize two TV/receivers with the new satellite connection? You cannot use a splitter with a two TV's using satellite receivers. Would a multi-switch work? I'm thinking the Airstream has a multi-switch someplace in the wiring in the walls that works with cable and multiple TV's. Is there anyone out there that has successfully hooked up two TV's with their satellite setup? Would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have a setup like I'm describing.

Thanks in advance.....B&J
2005 CCD International 28 foot
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have Direct TV and I had 1 tv hooked up, I now have 3. In order to do so you have to change the thing in the center of the dish that the cable hooks to. I am not sure of the name. The one you get has only 1 pick up. The replacement has a double pickup. Then you can hook you coax to either side then run 1 to each TV. Now keep in mind when you change that thing ( It is on the arm sticking out infront of the dish ) You can then hook that up to a splitter and run up to 5 TVS. I was told you simply cannot split 1 cable. The signal is to weak. Good Luck
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I just looked at my manual and it may be simply referred to as the Antenna??
Old 08-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
B&J
Happy Campers

Multiple TV hookup

Mustang,

I believe the "thing" that sticks out is the LNB Arm/Antenna. At the end of this arm, my DTV dish has 3 heads (LNBs) with a built-in Multi-switch for four independent outputs. So I can run up to 4 coax cables from this built in multi-switch to 4 receivers/tv's. I have enough outputs, but the problem is running two cables to the single cable input located on the outside of the trailer. This exterior coax cable input in internally wired/connected to the dual-coax face plate under the dining table in the front galley. There is also a button switch used when switching from antenna to cable. The other TV cable input jack is located in the rear bedroom. I should have a clearer picture, in my head once I get my equipment and start the installation. Thanks for the input. I will keep all posted.

B&J
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Recievers

You can run both TV's off one receiver, but both TV's will have too watch the same show.
If you want each TV on separate chanels you will need too bring a second cable in from the LNB.
I would bring it in near the second receiver.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
B&J
Happy Campers

Receivers

Thanks Gunny. I hate to make a hole in the screen in the bedroom. Maybe underneath the trailer on the curb side I could take a look and see if I could feed it up inside the roadside wall in the bedroom where the interior cable input plate is mounted. Now that I think about it, the rear wall has closets on each side of the bed. This might be a good location to route the cable. We will probably be happy just to lock into the satellite and be able to enjoy all the programming we are paying for at home. Will live with this setup for awhile. If we find there is a need to have another receiver connected to the TV in the bedroom, I will put some extra effort into hooking it up. I hate to drill in the walls or on the outside of the trailer. It's three years old and in immaculate condition. I want to keep it this way as long as I can. Thanks again for this information.

B&J
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
along those lines.....

you might be able to install a second connector at the exterior connection and split the front and rear lines.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I ran 1 up threw the bottom under the trailer where the fridge is then along the back of the pantry. I have a vent down low under the outside access panel. I also wouldnt want to make a hole
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Thats a good lookin unit B&J did you put those minis in or did they come from Airstream that way.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
B&J
Happy Campers

Satellite Hookup

You all have given me some good tips. Thanks! The mini blinds were installed at the factory. We asked the salesman at Toscano RV if we could get minis instead of the roll up shades. He kindly contacted the factory and they told him they could install the minis for us. They use minis in other models, but not the International CCD. I don't know why they didn't hang them on the rear bedroom window. We might attempt this. We are happy with the blinds and they are easy to clean.

B&J
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
CW sells a flat coax that works well. It can be placed under screen & window to bring in a second coax.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote