Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Read this excerpt on Studio Daily (http://www.studiodaily.com/main/tech...sues/5196.html)

"MYTH 3: LCD Monitors Freeze at Low temperatures:

Well, at some point, everything will freeze! But the liquid-crystal paste used in LCD displays has a different specific gravity than water, and its freezing point is much lower as a result. I have left consumer and professional LCD monitors out in cars overnight when temperatures dropped into the low‘teens with no adverse effects the next day. (Be nice to the monitor and let it warm up to room temperature before use.)
Keep in mind that many of the displays in today’s cars use LCD technology, in particular car radios and CD players. When was the last time you saw one of those crack when left out in cold weather?"

Good point about the monitors in cars.

I'm storing my CCD in a covered barn, no heat. Temps this winter will range between -10C to -30C easily (14F down to -20F). Typical Canadian winter. I'm going to give it a whirl - keeping the monitor in the trailer, see how it goes.

If it dies, so be it (get a much better upgrade ).

cheers,
Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Keep it nice!

OK Boys! Let's all calm down here. A fellow forum member asked a simple question and a few of us posted what we thought as sound advise. No one person is an expert on all there is to know. I personally don't have a problem if someone misunderstands LCD or whatever. This forum is to make friends, share and learn. Let's all play together nicely!

Thank you!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Robertsunrus you responded before I had the chance to offer my best guess. It would have been the spark plug. I really had no idea, but figured it was the only thing it could be metric since the "feeler guages" are metric.

Also, I was going to ask the same question about the "L" being for liquid, too. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was confused about wheather there was or wasn't liquid in there. I had researched the difference between LCD vs. plasma and remembered that LCD's were discovered like in the 19th century (no that's not a typo, it was the 19th century) but no real use for them had been developed until the digital watches 30-40 years ago.

Now plasma, that's real cool stuff. We were taught in school that there are three states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas. Well if you super heat the gaseous state of an element until ions are stripped off you get a plasma! That's the 4th state of matter. I have no idea what the 5th state would be...does anyone out there know?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, No 2air I didn't know; That's why I said "correct me if I'm wrong." No I have not checked my blinker fluid! Have you ever repaired Sure Track Brakes? Or have you ever worked on Hydrolic Wiper motors? Have you ever used Friction Modifier? Do you know what very common part used on vertually every American car dateing clear back into the fifties has a metric measurement?

Bob
Isn't it the Sparkplug, previously 13mm but now various sizes?

One of the friction modifiers is STP.

Were the vacuum operated wipers on the Ramblers Hydrolic?

Cant' say I worked on Sure Track brakes but blinker fluid belongs in the cabinet with the reciprocating shaft adapters!

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #25
_

. , .
hey carol are you running for office or something...

that was such a warm fuzzy post

folks it's all light hearted when we explore most issues here....

that aren't related to airstreams or the wb...

so it is with lcds...

if you are gonna use google to learn,
sometimes ya gotta go past the wikipedia and 'how things work'...

here is a better link for learn'n the basics on lcds...

http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/lcoms/introduction_1.html

ya may have to look up a word or 2 like insotropicwatchamcallit...

but that's ok 2.

has anyone ever broken an lcd anything?

did it leak?

anything wet ooze out?

crystals usually have a fixed pattern that is regular, irregular or regularly irregular....diamonds and coal and so on....

the crystaline matrix in an lcd is "fluid" meaning the crystals can rapidly change positions in response to an impluse of juice....oh and there ain't no juice in electricity either...

but 'liquid' as everyone here commonly understand and uses the term...
really doesn't apply to lcds....

your checking account is 'liquid' too while your investment IN the television isn't....

ok, all for now i gotta go plug a leak in my airstream...
and i'm working on an antifreeze that can be rubbed on carols lcd tv...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
Isn't it the Sparkplug, previously 13mm but now various sizes?

One of the friction modifiers is STP.

Were the vacuum operated wipers on the Ramblers Hydrolic?

Cant' say I worked on Sure Track brakes but blinker fluid belongs in the cabinet with the reciprocating shaft adapters!
Hi, Motoman. Most spark plugs were and are 14mm and Ford used the 18mm spark plugs starting with the "Y" Block engines 272, 292, 312, and Etc.

Friction Modifier is used in limited slip differentials to help prevent the clutches from chattering on turns.

Hydraulic wipers [not vacuum] used the pressure and fluid from the power steering pump, much like with a hydroboost brake system. Found in some early 70's Lincoln Mark III's and Thunderbirds.

Sure Track brakes were the early version of Anti Locking Brake systems of today; Used on late 60's early 70's Lincoln Mark III's and Mark IV's.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi fyrzowt...

bob is an automotive guy...

it is a regular running joke on many auto forums to check your blinker fluid...

it's a joke.

he can take it...

cheers
2air'
Hi, 2air. After long thought, going deep into my automotive archives, I will have to say I vagely remember something about checking my blinker fluid. One day after a hard rainy day I noticed my blinker fluid was about half full, or for some of you out there, half empty. This was taken care of quickly, by replaceing the tail light lenses and gaskets on my 1959 Ford Galaxie.
True story.

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A couple of you guys have something half full - and it's not blinker fluid.
More like full of it....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Hi, 2air. After long thought, going deep into my automotive archives, I will have to say I vagely remember something about checking my blinker fluid. One day after a hard rainy day I noticed my blinker fluid was about half full, or for some of you out there, half empty. This was taken care of quickly, by replaceing the tail light lenses and gaskets on my 1959 Ford Galaxie.
True story. Bob
now ya see bob that experience may come in handy owning an airstream....

since the marker lights regularly have water inside them...

i didn't know about the metric spark plugs...

the only american made vehicle i've ever owned is the 05 psd...no spark plugs.
i have had a lot of bosch bits on the 25+ years of audis however...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
now ya see bob that experience may come in handy owning an airstream....

since the marker lights regularly have water inside them...

i didn't know about the metric spark plugs...

the only american made vehicle i've ever owned is the 05 psd...no spark plugs.
i have had a lot of bosch bits on the 25+ years of audis however...

cheers
2air'
Hi, 2air. As the saying goes; Your a day late and a dollar short. I have indeed found water inside of my Airstream marker lights. [Marker Fluid] I replaced the screws, added washers, and "O" rings. After this November heat wave, maybe it might rain before Christmas, so I can tell if it fixed the leaks.

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Robertsunrus you responded before I had the chance to offer my best guess. It would have been the spark plug. I really had no idea, but figured it was the only thing it could be metric since the "feeler guages" are metric.

Also, I was going to ask the same question about the "L" being for liquid, too. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was confused about wheather there was or wasn't liquid in there. I had researched the difference between LCD vs. plasma and remembered that LCD's were discovered like in the 19th century (no that's not a typo, it was the 19th century) but no real use for them had been developed until the digital watches 30-40 years ago.

Now plasma, that's real cool stuff. We were taught in school that there are three states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas. Well if you super heat the gaseous state of an element until ions are stripped off you get a plasma! That's the 4th state of matter. I have no idea what the 5th state would be...does anyone out there know?
Hi, I think the 5th state was Connecticut!

I better quit, or no one will invite me to their barbeque.

Bob
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
hey carol are you running for office or something...2air'
2Air I will pm you where to send my campaign contribution, asap!

Quote:
Hi, I think the 5th state was Connecticut! Bob
I was thinking after the 4th state it would go up up and away with the 5th dimension.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Hi, I think the 5th state was Connecticut!

I better quit, or no one will invite me to their barbeque.

Bob
I remember from Georgia History in the 5th grade that I live in the 13th state. Just made it under the wire.

Now quantum (sp?) physisist (SP?) have come up with something like 11 deminsions and they think they have it all figured out. Now why is that the magic number? This membrane theory they have seems a little two demesional for that or have they done away with that theory, too? They keep changing their theories so fast I can't keep up. At one time they decided there was no big bang and the last I heard they said the big bang occurred when two of their membranes collided. I wonder what they smoke in these think tanks.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Somehow some of the above comments about Blinker Fluid reminded me of something that happened to my sister, who may be the original blond (although she's a brunette).

She was complaining about their power bill to a friend who worked for the power company. Her friend asked her if they had any empty light sockets in their house. He went on to say that this is a common cause of high electric bills because the electricity leaks out of the empty socket. She dutifully screwed bulbs into all the sockets. Shortly after this she was serving as camp nurse at a church youth camp. One day she and some friends were standing at the snack shack when she looked above the head of one of the pastors and saw AN EMPTY SOCKET! She excitedly notified him of the peril he was in, why he could be electrocuted by that electricity that was leaking out. Although this happend more than thirty years ago, she's never lived it down.

She also swallowed what a doctor at the hospital told her when she had been late several days due to a slow leak in a tire. Doc asked her how long it had been since she'd changed the air in her tires. When she asked the station attendant how much it cost to change the air, he went of in a huff. She went home and complained to her pastor husband about the rude attendant! He hasn't let her forget that one.

Gene