Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Under cabinet LCD?

We are considering mounting a 15" LCD under a cabinet just inside the door. It would free up some counter space. During travel, it would store horizontally under the cabinet. When it is wanted, we would flip it down to view.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00006IS40

Has anyone had experience in doing this?
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Hello, FlyFish -

I had considered mounting our 15" Sharp on one of these type of mounts. You would want to make sure it has a way to securely stay up, and in place, when you travel.

We have a 30' Classic, and I thought the ideal place for one of these types of brackets was under the overhead cabinet that is above our credenza, since we had been normally keeping the TV on the credenza and the TV jack, etc. is there.

I had considered getting a foldup bracket that I think was actually made by Sharp. One of the features that made it look attractive was that you ran the cords down the inside of the bracket arm so they weren't hanging all over the place. And, believe you me, when we hookup the TV to satellite, there are a LOT of cords, or at least it seems that way.

However, in the end, we had the good folks at Jackson Center put one of their wall mounted brackets on the wall of our trailer just above the credenza. I think it's the ideal place for us, and we keep the satellite receiver on the credenza just below the TV.

By the way, do you happen to fly fish? (What made me think that? ) We're headed to MT for the rest of the summer in a couple weeks, where I hope to fish practically every day for 3 months straight.

John
Old 05-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I have been looking to upgrade to a small LCD and would also like to mount it vice having it sit on the credenza. I have an overhead cabinet as well. The other thought was to mount it on the wall, but some people told me I would have to remove the refrigerator in order to properly mount the bracket. I don't have my heart set on leaving the LCD installed while traveling, just when set up. While we were in PA Dutch country in April on a NE unit caravan, someone installed a bracket for a 20" Sony LCD on that wall, although all they had to do is remove the microwave to access the backside of the wall. Any suggestions?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I've been looking for an LCD TV (and DVD player) that would run directly off of the DC outlet so I can use it while camping without hookups. Do you know of any LCDs that will do this? I have found some small ones (10" screen or less), but would rather have a 13" or 15". Do either of your LCDs work off of DC, or do you have to have an AC hookup, or an inverter?

I also fly fish, and I'm jealous of your summer in MT. Which rivers do you plan to fish? I live in UT and oftern fish on the upper parts of the Green River and its streams. Yellowstone also has some nice water, but is usually more crowded than I like.

Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Flyfisher (John), Yes, I wanted your name but you already had it. I got my airstream with the intent of using it as my Inn for fishing. That was probably pretty obvious. We are heading to New Mexico in a few weeks on a little excursion. My secret plan is a fishing exploration. The family is bound to figure that out as the plan develops.

Peegreen and Flyfisher, As for the mounting of the LCD, I have been doing some studying. Currently our components are kept below in the credenza. The kids reach and store the DVDs. Our thought is to get the monitor off the credenza. We then would use the credenza drink service close to the door (coffee in the morning and scotch/wine in the evening).

We have an original etched airstream mirror on the wall where we could mount the LCD. That is the reason we are thinking the cabinet is right. THe LCD can then be pretty much out of sight when not in use.

The upper cabinet has a false underside. I was planning on running the wiring from the credenza into the frig compartment and then into the cabinet false bottom.

The primary concern is would I need to install any secondary bracing for the upper cabinet. I'm going to use some blocking at the false bottom to strengthen the mounting location. I may place some aluminum angles along the upper cabinet where it meets the ceiling.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD

I also fly fish, and I'm jealous of your summer in MT. Which rivers do you plan to fish? I live in UT and oftern fish on the upper parts of the Green River and its streams. Yellowstone also has some nice water, but is usually more crowded than I like.

Bob
Bob -

We're staying for 2 months this summer right on the banks of the Yellowstone River, 20 miles south of Livingston, MT. For the most part, the river isn't too crowded there. There are also some small mountain streams closeby where you can catch some nice sized fish, and sometimes never see another fisherman.

I don't know yet where we'll go for the 3rd month. Sometimes we go up to Helena and I fish the Missouri, over to Missoula for the Clark Fork, down to Dillon and the Beaverhead, or up to British Columbia.

So many rivers, so little time.

John
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If your cabnet is like mine it has two bottoms. One flush on the outside and one flush on the inside with a space between them. The bottom closure is 1/4" thick and held in by 6 or so small screws. I would be concerned that traveling up and down the highway that the shock loads may pull the screws out of the exterior bottom and leave you with a mess. Carriage bolts coming fromt he inside of the cabinet and connecting to the tv bracket would be my choice. FWIW
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote