Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Shelby , North Carolina
Batteries (once again!)

I know the question of batteries and chargers has been beat to death, but I would appreciate just a simple recommendation and advice:
1. When storing our 2012 19' International between outings, should I leave it plugged in and NOT put it in store mode checking the batteries (lead acid) or should I put it in store mode and once every few weeks take it out of store mode to charge the batteries for 24 hours or so?
2. My batteries now need replacing so is it worth replacing my Parallax 7355 with a multi stage charger/converter and consider an alternative to standard deep cycle lead acid batteries?
Again, my apologies for yet another battery/charger question!

Thanks!
roger4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
In my opinion, the batterie(s) should always be serviced only with a reliable battery charger, ...whether that is a good converter which will regulate down to a trickle/maintenance-charge.... or if it's a standard battery-charger that will do so...
I would not consider it wise to charge a battery, even intermittently, with a known defective charging system.
I would think that indicates the need for a converter-change if your present converter does not meet that definition.

Once such a system is in-place, I'd leave the battery on all the time, and check it's electrolyte level every quarter, at least.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger4147 View Post
I know the question of batteries and chargers has been beat to death, but I would appreciate just a simple recommendation and advice:
1. When storing our 2012 19' International between outings, should I leave it plugged in and NOT put it in store mode checking the batteries (lead acid) or should I put it in store mode and once every few weeks take it out of store mode to charge the batteries for 24 hours or so?
2. My batteries now need replacing so is it worth replacing my Parallax 7355 with a multi stage charger/converter and consider an alternative to standard deep cycle lead acid batteries?
Again, my apologies for yet another battery/charger question!

Thanks!
1. Yes - Use the "store" button to disconnect the batteries and then top up the batteries ever 3-4 weeks using shoreline (plug in the trailer, hit the store button to re-connect the batteries, then let charge for a few hours or overnight)

2. Definitely, definitely upgrade your converter/charger and move away from the parallax. Get a progressive dynamics 3-stage 4655 charger / converter instead. They cost about $200 from various online retailers. It is a drop-in replacement and worth the $$ if you care about the health and longevity of your batteries.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Agree with above - get new multi stage converter!

But you mentioned batteries - go to AGM battries!

1. No checking electrolyte.
2. They last longer.
3. You can use more of their capacity - 80% vs 50%
4. You can put them anywhere - no fumes. Even upside down!
5. Can let them run down further in storage without hurting them.
6. In long run they are cheaper.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
Agree with above - get new multi stage converter!

But you mentioned batteries - go to AGM battries!

1. No checking electrolyte.
2. They last longer.
3. You can use more of their capacity - 80% vs 50%
4. You can put them anywhere - no fumes. Even upside down!
5. Can let them run down further in storage without hurting them.
6. In long run they are cheaper.
Don't know where you got some of your points above, but all are NOT CORRECT!

•ANY lead acid battery should be kept above 50% depth of discharge for maximum life expectancy. In fact, the less you draw ANY BATTERY, the longer they last.
•If you repeatedly draw any lead battery to 80% depth of discharge, they will not last very long. I believe you are confusing the characteristics of LITHIUM batteries with AGMs as lithiums have a depth of discharge capacity of 80%.
•NO LEAD BATTERY should be stored in a discharged state, as this is where sulfation of the plates occurs, resulting in greatly diminished battery capacity.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum roger4147, and thank you for doing your research before posting!

Yes IMO you should get a new smart charger, and leave the trailer plugged in in the Use mode during storage. Personally I would just get new flooded cell batteries, as they should last for many years with your new charger. If you are able to check the batteries' water levels every few weeks or so, to monitor the charging, this lower-cost route is fine IMO.

If you have plans to use solar panels, do serious boondocking, etc., you should probably consider getting better batteries, the correct charger for them, and perhaps a solar controller "brain" to coordinate the new functions. It depends on your goals, budget, etc..

Lewster's advice should also be followed of course. If you get a new smart charger, to fit in the overall system you plan, all should be easy to do. Lewster does installations in Florida I believe, so you might consider sending him a PM [edit -- Private Message] if you are interested.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
1. Yes - Use the "store" button to disconnect the batteries and then top up the batteries ever 3-4 weeks using shoreline (plug in the trailer, hit the store button to re-connect the batteries, then let charge for a few hours or overnight)

2. Definitely, definitely upgrade your converter/charger and move away from the parallax. Get a progressive dynamics 3-stage 4655 charger / converter instead. They cost about $200 from various online retailers. It is a drop-in replacement and worth the $$ if you care about the health and longevity of your batteries.
On my 2015 27 FC, the batteries will run down to about 30 percent in under two weeks on " Store". id just disconnect the batteries if I was leaving it for 3-4 weeks.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Absolutely no reason ever disconnect from shore power unless traveling as long as you have modern 4 stage switching converter. Doesn't mean you don't have to check on them once in awhile.
With the Parallax that Airstream uses, I would come up with a different plan. Pulling them, store/use switch, whatever just don't ever leave them unattended.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
On my 2015 27 FC, the batteries will run down to about 30 percent in under two weeks on " Store". id just disconnect the batteries if I was leaving it for 3-4 weeks.

Mike
Not sure if you are saying that your batteries have gotten that low, but if so, and if they are regular flooded cell batteries, you may have damaged them significantly IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
My old (1 year and 1 month) interstates died from that. My new Trojans are in good shape.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote