Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Do you have those tied into the Victron controller or do they have their own controller?

billrector

They are tied into the Victron solar controller (see photo).

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	334015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	334016
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a Victron smart solar controller (100/15) and have had a difficult time learning how to use it. I thought I might show the problems I have had. Maybe this will help someone else.

The main problem is the manuals. There are really 3 and you need all of them to connect it up and use it:

1. SmartSolar Charge Controller MPPT 100/15
2. VictronConnect- MPPT Solar Charge Controllers
3. VictronConnect Manual

The first manual tells you how to install the solar controller. I had no problems here.

You need the next two manuals to actually use the controller properly.

I can’t find it now but at one point I was told I needed to enter the “code” number for the controller. I didn’t know they were talking about and couldn’t find it. I remember seeing online to just enter some zeros (00000). This is what I did and it worked.

I figured that the controller was set up for lead acid flooded batteries so that is how I used it. I needed to change this to lithium ion batteries but going through the second two manuals I couldn’t figure out how to do this. I wanted to call Victron tech support but found no number listed. I finally found a number for like the US Sales Managers Office so that is what I called. I told them my problem and they walked me through the procedure. It was really quite simple, like most things after you understand them. Here is the number I called: 1-207-3540493.

Here is a screenshot of the lithium battery preset that I needed to get to so I could finally charge my lithium batteries properly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3681.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	334622

Here is a screenshot of my fully charged lithium batteries. Note that 200 watts of portable solar panels are connected and there is lots of sun, but of course 0 watts of input because the batteries are fully charged.

I just hope what I learned helps others.

Name:	IMG_3674.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	334625
Old 02-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I have a question regarding the function of the "Load" connections on my Victron 75/15. From what I've read they should power a small load and is programmable as to length of time on and battery voltage levels it will operate.

But my question is this "Load" connection powered only from solar or is it powered off the battery as I suspect? I may have a need for 1or 2A from it.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
rowiebowie

I will try to answer your questions.

If you tap the gear symbol in the upper right corner, then tap battery presets you can set the solar controller charging parameters.

I believe weather you connect the load to the load terminals on the right side or connect the load to the battery, either way it is being fed from the battery.

Dan
Old 02-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
rowiebowie

I will try to answer your questions.

If you tap the gear symbol in the upper right corner, then tap battery presets you can set the solar controller charging parameters.

I believe weather you connect the load to the load terminals on the right side or connect the load to the battery, either way it is being fed from the battery.

Dan
That's what I was hoping. I'm the one who posted a few weeks back about re-purposing the abandoned Cat5 24Ga wires that went to the old Sunexplorer solar monitor.

I plan to use the old wire to power a 1A usb charge port where the old monitor was removed. There is absolutely no slack in the old Cat5 so it is either add an in-line fuse and use the "Load" connections on the Victron for power or splice in an additional length wire to the fuse panel. Simpler and easier to just wire to the new Victron and I can program it to cut off below 12 volts to not drain the battery.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #186
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I have a Victron smart solar controller (100/15) and have had a difficult time learning how to use it. I thought I might show the problems I have had. Maybe this will help someone else.

The main problem is the manuals. There are really 3 and you need all of them to connect it up and use it:

1. SmartSolar Charge Controller MPPT 100/15
2. VictronConnect- MPPT Solar Charge Controllers
3. VictronConnect Manual

The first manual tells you how to install the solar controller. I had no problems here.

You need the next two manuals to actually use the controller properly.

I can’t find it now but at one point I was told I needed to enter the “code” number for the controller. I didn’t know they were talking about and couldn’t find it. I remember seeing online to just enter some zeros (00000). This is what I did and it worked.

I figured that the controller was set up for lead acid flooded batteries so that is how I used it. I needed to change this to lithium ion batteries but going through the second two manuals I couldn’t figure out how to do this. I wanted to call Victron tech support but found no number listed. I finally found a number for like the US Sales Managers Office so that is what I called. I told them my problem and they walked me through the procedure. It was really quite simple, like most things after you understand them. Here is the number I called: 1-207-3540493.

Here is a screenshot of the lithium battery preset that I needed to get to so I could finally charge my lithium batteries properly.
Attachment 334622

Here is a screenshot of my fully charged lithium batteries. Note that 200 watts of portable solar panels are connected and there is lots of sun, but of course 0 watts of input because the batteries are fully charged.

I just hope what I learned helps others.

DanAttachment 334625
Hi

Yet another good example of *why* you want to buy this sort of stuff from somebody with a phone number. Calling them up to answer one or two (after the fact) simple questions is something you normally need to do.

=====

The "load" output of the controller is programable. You can tell it to do various things in terms of shutting off the load. You may only want to power it directly off solar. You might want to only give it so many amp hours a month / week / day.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #187
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bozeman , Montana
Solar Show and Tell

I am considering moving from my OEM Interstate Batteries to 2ea. Lithium Batteries + Solar. Question...any issue putting the Lithium Batteries in the battery box (behind the propane tanks)?
2Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
The "load" output of the controller is programable. You can tell it to do various things in terms of shutting off the load. You may only want to power it directly off solar. You might want to only give it so many amp hours a month / week / day.

Bob

I don’t understand. Please explain. My understanding is that I want the solar controller to charge my batteries when they aren’t 100% full.

Dan
Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #189
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Montana View Post
I am considering moving from my OEM Interstate Batteries to 2ea. Lithium Batteries + Solar. Question...any issue putting the Lithium Batteries in the battery box (behind the propane tanks)?

None that I am aware of except you don’t want to charge your batteries In the freezing weather. You will need to disconnect your solar panels and your converter.

Dan
Old 03-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #190
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Solar Show and Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Montana View Post

Lithium want to operate at 70 degrees or so for best performance. Technically you can put the in the battery box, but most locate them inside. As stated above you cannot charge below freezing (vs if you locate them inside - no problem keeping them warm with the furnace).

Also - lithium’s don’t like heat. So if your in Texas and that are continually operating at >100 degrees that does not promote longevity of the cells.

Best to locate inside the trailer to protect your investment.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #191
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Lithium want to operate at 70 degrees or so for best performance. Technically you can put the in the battery box, but most locate them inside. As stated above you cannot charge below freezing (vs if you locate them inside - no problem keeping them warm with the furnace).

Also - lithium’s don’t like heat. So if your in Texas and that are continually operating at >100 degrees that does not promote longevity of the cells.

Best to locate inside the trailer to protect your investment.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks much!
2Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You also might be concerned about theft @ $1,000 each being stored in the battery box.

Dan
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #193
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Bob

I don’t understand. Please explain. My understanding is that I want the solar controller to charge my batteries when they aren’t 100% full.

Dan
Hi

There are two places that the controller that it can put *out* power. One is the charge output lug. That goes to your battery. It does just what you would expect it to do in terms of charging the battery. The other lug goes to a "load". That one is programable.

The idea of the load lug is that you will be running something only when the panels are getting sun (and not off the battery). Another setting is to run the gizmo off the battery, but only give it what went in from the solar charge that day (think of a porch light ...).

Right now mine is just sitting unconnected.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are two places that the controller that it can put *out* power. One is the charge output lug. That goes to your battery. It does just what you would expect it to do in terms of charging the battery. The other lug goes to a "load". That one is programable.

The idea of the load lug is that you will be running something only when the panels are getting sun (and not off the battery). Another setting is to run the gizmo off the battery, but only give it what went in from the solar charge that day (think of a porch light ...).

Right now mine is just sitting unconnected.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for the explanation. Mine also sits unconnected in my Airstream.

When I camp/travel single in my car I have removed the passenger seat and replaced it with a Dometic 12v fridge. When I am parked I have a solar panel feeding the battery. In this case the load lug on the Victron controller goes to the fridge. Nice to know that the output is programmable.

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	334881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	334882
Old 03-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #195
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Bob

Thanks for the explanation. Mine also sits unconnected in my Airstream.

When I camp/travel single in my car I have removed the passenger seat and replaced it with a Dometic 12v fridge. When I am parked I have a solar panel feeding the battery. In this case the load lug on the Victron controller goes to the fridge. Nice to know that the output is programmable.

DanAttachment 334881Attachment 334882
Hi Dan, be careful to not let wiring or wipers shade the panel.
Clint
Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
Hi Dan, be careful to not let wiring or wipers shade the panel.

Clint

Clint

Thanks for the reminder.

I certainly have not been too impressed with the performance of these flexible panels compared to the rigid ones, though they sure are light and take up very little room.

Speaking of performance I have been very impressed with the performance of my two portable rigid panels even with the winter sun being so low. The other day at one time I was getting208 watts out of my two panels.

Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3697.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	334989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3673.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	334992
Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #197
Wolfwhistle

Hi Dan, is that info for only the portable? Are they 2x 100W on their own MPPT?
Thx Clint
Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Hi Dan, is that info for only the portable? Are they 2x 100W on their own MPPT?
Thx Clint

Clint

Yes, here are photos of my portable solar system.

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	335007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	335008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	335009
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #199
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Clint

Yes, here are photos of my portable solar system.

Dan
I remember seeing those photos Dan. I don't know your trailer, so I can't understand the MC4s hanging below the bellypan. Looking at the data the panels were producing 208W. When you do the math, it looks like the batteries were taking 13.58V at over 15 amps. I see your charge controller is a 15 amp model. Is that a concern and your thoughts?

Clint
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Solar Show and Tell

Quote:
I remember seeing those photos Dan. I don't know your trailer, so I can't understand the MC4s hanging below the bellypan. Looking at the data the panels were producing 208W. When you do the math, it looks like the batteries were taking 13.58V at over 15 amps. I see your charge controller is a 15 amp model. Is that a concern and your thoughts?

Clint

Clint

The MC4s hanging below the trailer is how I connect the portable panels to my solar controller. The short pigtail goes from the MC4s to the controller.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3707.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	335059
You are correct, when you divide 208 watts by 13.58 volts, you get 15.3 amps which exceeds the 15 amp perceived rating. I am not concerned since the manufacturer states that the controller is good for 220 watts @ 12v. This is over 18 amps. Obviously some margin is built into the controller to handle situations like I experienced where the panels were putting out more than their rated power.

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	335060