Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
In return , I honestly think you’re trying a bit to poke me with a sharp stick to see whether I’ll bite. I’ll ignore that, other than to point out that when people say “IMHO,” the opinion is almost never offered humbly.

Yes, we are nice hosts, thanks. We know this empirically because we’ve been asked back for next year.

I stand by what I said: I hear the gennies before I see them, and afterwards, out of curiosity I check the brand. Note that until I see them, I cannot know what color they are. The noisy ones are never Hondas or Yamahas.
Well hope you enjoy your stay in our fine state of Montana again next summer...perhaps we will see you; which campground are you going to be at next year? We have lost a ranger and 2 campground hosts this past year due to management change at the top end of 2017 season...all 3 were who were not invited back were "women"...not sure if you knew anyone... We stay in Glacer 4-5 times a year, Apgar, St. Marys, and Swift Current (when we can get in).
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #102
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We were at Fish Creek last season, which was great! Next summer, for the sake of getting another NP under our belts, we’re planning to volunteer host at Acadia in Maine.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
We were at Fish Creek last season, which was great! Next summer, for the sake of getting another NP under our belts, we’re planning to volunteer host at Acadia in Maine.
Fish Creek...of course...you were next to the showers I used to sneak into each morning around 6:30am! I'm the guy with the handicap sticker who parks his white F250 in front! Think we talked one morning...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #104

Ah ha, yes we did, haha!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
but I do like to get the best value for my money....

<snip>

....I am the OP on this thread, my request was for honest comparison of small gen sets in the 2 to 2.2 KW capacity. No request was made for financial advice....
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone's value system and needs is different, hence we arrive at different solutions. No one is more correct than another. Every's opinion is correct from their own perspective. No one more or wrong here.

At the same time, we fail to answer the actual questions posed as we are so caught up in our own contexts. I'm sure another 10 posts down from mine will be another post for a 3k class generator.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We were in Fish Creek in loop A this summer for a week just before the Howe Ridge fire started, site 25.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We were in Fish Creek in loop A this summer for a week just before the Howe Ridge fire started, site 25.

Pretty sure we remember your Airstream there, hope you had a good time! Camping with that fire burning so close by was a difficult experience, glad you missed it.

The off-topic police are gonna get me soon, haha!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Well, Carl, here's the deal.......I've had a lot of experience with generators, Honda, Yamaha, and other brands, operation repeater radio stations in remote areas......I don't usually "pinch pennies" on anything that I buy......but I do like to get the best value for my money....that's why we have a 1996 Airstream, as I think the best value was to buy that, and customize it to our tastes. We didn't want to be stuck with what everybody else has when they buy a new Airstream..... this is our 4th Airstream, I've remodeled the other 3 also.

As for generators, I will buy what I perceive as the best value for my dollar....I am the OP on this thread, my request was for honest comparison of small gen sets in the 2 to 2.2 KW capacity. No request was made for financial advice....
Re financial advice...my honest opinion would be, if money were no object, I would get the new Honda2200 with the propane option from Genconnex. Although I am good with my choice of Champion 3400 DualFuel, for running my AC for now, the Honda2200 my friend had when we camped this past summer, was impressive. When we tried it on my unit, it did run my 1350AC without the Easystart for the 5 min test we did at around 7k altitude where we were outside Banff. Not exhaustive for sure, but it was quiet, lightweight, started right up. (He has a 23D model with the 13500AC but he also has the Easystart installed.) We did not need the AC up there, by the way in late June; seldom need it in the Northern states in summer time in the mountains. If you have 2 AC's, you would need 2 of the these 2000W class generators to run 2 AC's on your AS, and 2 Easystarts. the overall task of moving 45lbs each 2200 generator vs 95lbs for the heavier models like I have , is sure easier on the back with the smaller models. (Just not easy on the wallet.) $900~ each for the Honda 2200's, Easystart at $250~ each, and of course, the propane modification at $300~ each...for 2 could run you around $2900.

For me if I were doing it, I would likely just get one of each for my 1500 and see how well it would work for our camping needs...can always add another set up if needed.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
If I was just getting a 2000W model again, (and money was no problem), I would get the new Honda 2200 with the propane conversion by Genconnex. Total around $1300, I believe. I would also get one of my AC's converted to include the Easystart...around $250-$300 I think. The Champion will not start the AC even with the Easystart; the Honda and Yamaha will. The weight difference 45lbs vs 95lbs with the DualFuel… I tried selling the Champion 2000 this past summer when I got the new 3400 DualFuel, but could not get over $200 offered, so decided to keep it for trips when I know I won't need AC.

Gypsydad nailed it. Not much more to add.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #110
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Unless you don't have a hammer...😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone's value system and needs is different, hence we arrive at different solutions. No one is more correct than another. Every's opinion is correct from their own perspective. No one more or wrong here.

At the same time, we fail to answer the actual questions posed as we are so caught up in our own contexts. I'm sure another 10 posts down from mine will be another post for a 3k class generator.
I think you are correct....sometimes we just have to sort out the chaff from the grain!

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Re financial advice...my honest opinion would be, if money were no object, I would get the new Honda2200 with the propane option from Genconnex. Although I am good with my choice of Champion 3400 DualFuel, for running my AC for now, the Honda2200 my friend had when we camped this past summer, was impressive. When we tried it on my unit, it did run my 1350AC without the Easystart for the 5 min test we did at around 7k altitude where we were outside Banff. Not exhaustive for sure, but it was quiet, lightweight, started right up. (He has a 23D model with the 13500AC but he also has the Easystart installed.) We did not need the AC up there, by the way in late June; seldom need it in the Northern states in summer time in the mountains. If you have 2 AC's, you would need 2 of the these 2000W class generators to run 2 AC's on your AS, and 2 Easystarts. the overall task of moving 45lbs each 2200 generator vs 95lbs for the heavier models like I have , is sure easier on the back with the smaller models. (Just not easy on the wallet.) $900~ each for the Honda 2200's, Easystart at $250~ each, and of course, the propane modification at $300~ each...for 2 could run you around $2900.

For me if I were doing it, I would likely just get one of each for my 1500 and see how well it would work for our camping needs...can always add another set up if needed.

We're not that much on air conditioning (maybe when the temps are in the 90's, then we find a CG with full hookups. I'm leaning more and more towards the Champion, 2000, or when they come out with their 2200.

I agree 45 to 50 pounds is a lot easier on this old back than the 3KW gensets..

Larry C
Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
Gypsydad nailed it. Not much more to add.

Exactly!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
I think you are correct....sometimes we just have to sort out the chaff from the grain!

Larry
I think everyone’s real excited to let everyone else know they have a Honda. Lots of good BS on these generator threads. I’ll keep mine hidden if I ever do use it. I’ll bring my ES6500 camping lol
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I don't think Rain understands the difference between contractor style generators and inverter style generators. Honda, Yamaha, and Champion all make contractor open frame generators and they are all very loud and none of them should be used in a campground.
If your idea of Airstreaming is being in a campground with a bunch of other campers... then get in a campground with electricity....or plan to listen to generators.

If your idea of Airstreaming is being waay out yonder all by yourself somewhere... then it matters not what kind of generator you chose for yourself, as long as you are happy with it.

This last summer my wife and I spent 3 months in NM,CO,WY,MT,ID,UT,AZ. While in Canyonlands, we drove a dirt road for 20 miles to camp all alone in the wilderness amongst cottonwoods in a dry creek. It was HOT. We started up our little generator (an off-brand cheapie) and moved it away from our AS about 75', placing it down in a gully and connected to the AS by LONG extension cord. We could barely hear it outside our AS and it was completely unnoticeable INside. We slept soundly all night, except when some Volvo showed up in our little selected remote spot, with it's headlights flashing thru our windows as it turned around repeatedly while attempting to settle-down in a level area. (I'm talking about a REMOTE place surrounded by many hundreds of square miles of abandoned canyonland at least 45 minutes down a dirt road that never was intended for Volvos.)
Next morning the Volvo was gone, but a nasty note was on my windshield scolding me for using a generator that disturbed the peace.
I'd have preferred the coward to have confronted me personally with his/her complaint as I would have an interesting conversation with them I'm certain.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #116

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

This last summer my wife and I spent 3 months in NM,CO,WY,MT,ID,UT,AZ. While in Canyonlands, we drove a dirt road for 20 miles to camp all alone in the wilderness amongst cottonwoods in a dry creek.

Next morning the Volvo was gone, but a nasty note was on my windshield scolding me for using a generator that disturbed the peace.
I would say things worked out for you. You got an almost undisturbed nights sleep and was lone in the morning.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #117

Plus, you could use the note as kindling for your next campfire. Thoughtful of them!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I think everyone’s real excited to let everyone else know they have a Honda. Lots of good BS on these generator threads. I’ll keep mine hidden if I ever do use it. I’ll bring my ES6500 camping lol
My suggestion to the money is no object generator snobs would be to carry an extra 2 or 3 and loan them out to the poor slob next door to keep his neighborhood quite.
There, problem solved.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #119
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
... We slept soundly all night, except when some Volvo showed up in our little selected remote spot, with it's headlights flashing thru our windows as it turned around repeatedly while attempting to settle-down in a level area. (I'm talking about a REMOTE place surrounded by many hundreds of square miles of abandoned canyonland at least 45 minutes down a dirt road that never was intended for Volvos.)
I'd have preferred the coward to have confronted me personally with his/her complaint as I would have an interesting conversation with them I'm certain.
That's kind of like people who move next to a USAF air base and complain about the noise. The world would be so much better with only dogs and far less low IQ people.
WW
Old 11-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“The more I learn about people the better I like my dogs...”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote