Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Loudest in any class: Ryobi

I can’t wait to get my noiseless solar-powered Airstream out of “generator heaven”.
I've owned a couple of the Ryobi's....the inverter type and when it comes to comparisons with the "so called premium brands"..one needs a "decibels meter" to notice the difference.

I do agree with you regarding the Champion. I sold my Ryobi's for the "dual fueled, electric start" Champion and love it!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a lot of factors that impact how much noise seems to be coming from this or that. Often generators have a "worst side" for noise. Stand on the other side and they are more quiet. As noted above, some are more bothered by certain frequency bands of noise. Toss in a wide variety of loads on generators and you will get data all over the map ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As a camp host at Glacier NP last year, I beg you and plead with you - please get a quiet generator. Some of the generators people used in that campground were so loud that they literally had campers around them crying because the noise was so extreme.

We couldn't do anything about the noise as long as those horrible things were only used during generator hours. I hated doing rounds during those loops during those hours - pretty sure some of them damaged my hearing. Please, please, if you're gonna use a generator, get a quiet one. Honda and Yamaha-branded generators are the least noisy. Predator, Champion, and others were all noticeably louder.

Oh, and contractor generators have no business in a campground. Ever. When they aren't running you can spot them because they are literally an engine suspended in a metal frame. Please, please, don't be that guy with a contractor generator. Everyone else in the campground will hate you.
Agree with Uncle Bob and others on this subject. I have read this complaint before of Champion vs the Honda or Yamaha on this Forum but I disagree the Champions are any louder in various situations..There are several YouTube videos of this comparing the Champions and the Honda's, if your interested...conclusions are pretty consistent.

I also have a noise meter which I use from time to time to check the level at varying distances when running my Champion's. I also have checked against the Honda 2000, Yamaha 2000, and Honda 3000, vs my Champions. The Champion specs in at the same level as the Honda's and actual measurement is usually within 1 db if not the same from my random checking. A lot depends on how/where you are using your generator. If you have your generator backed against a solid surface or in your truck bed, or exhaust facing your trailer, or a uneven terrain vs facing an open area your likely going to notice any generator noise more. I have not checked the Predator, but the specs are again, within the 1db range of the Honda's. Now, would I recommend a Yamaha or Honda over a Champion? If money they were priced the same, perhaps I would.

I do agree with the problem of using the commercial generators. Wish there was a law on db's, at all state/federal parks.
Here are the specs I gathered couple years ago on these.

Honda EU2000i 47lbs 53-59dbs
Yamaha EF2000i 44lbs 51.5dbs
Champion 2000 48lbs 53dbs
Champion Dual Fuel 3400 95lbs 59dbs
Honda (Handy model) EU3000i 78lbs 57-65dbs
Honda EU3000is 134lbs 58dbs
Rocinante, which campground were you working last year in Glacier? We go up there 4-5 times a year. Perhaps we can meet next year if your doing that park again?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Speculate and wonder all you want, but I spent the whole summer walking our campground at Glacier, forced to listen to generators. The most consistently quiet generators were always either Honda or Yamaha brand.

Speaking of waveform: along with a horrendous amount of noise, contractor generators produce terrible waveform results. So, my revenge against their racket comes from thinking about all the electronic damage they must be doing to their gear (air conditioners, TV's, computers, etc.) over time. <sigh>

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
The wife is happy because the Champion Duel Fuel 3400 runs the air conditioning and her hair dryer at the same time. Happy wife Happy life
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Yamaha 2400 will run your air conditioner

If you purchase a Honda 2000 for running your air conditioner, it will not start the air conditioner. The Yamaha 2400 will start and run one air conditioner on the AS, but not two air conditioners. I have the Yamaha 2400 and love the machine and it is not loud. Both the Honda 2000 and Yamaha 2400 are priced about the same. You can purchase the Yamaha on line for about $1,250 including shipping. None of these generators are light weight, but the Yamaha can be picked up by one individual (about 75 - 90 pounds would be my guess).
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #27
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Quote:
As a camp host at Glacier NP last year, I beg you and plead with you - please get a quiet generator. Some of the generators people used in that campground were so loud that they literally had campers around them crying because the noise was so extreme.

We couldn't do anything about the noise as long as those horrible things were only used during generator hours. I hated doing rounds during those loops during those hours - pretty sure some of them damaged my hearing. Please, please, if you're gonna use a generator, get a quiet one. Honda and Yamaha-branded generators are the least noisy. Predator, Champion, and others were all noticeably louder.

Oh, and contractor generators have no business in a campground. Ever. When they aren't running you can spot them because they are literally an engine suspended in a metal frame. Please, please, don't be that guy with a contractor generator. Everyone else in the campground will hate you.
I second the plea for quiet. I must confess to feeling guilty about running our Yamaha this past week in a northern Wisconsin campground (light snow and then rain for a couple of days), as there were two other RVs in the campground ... or at least until one of the other campers started their generator, which was so loud from 250 yards away, that it drowned out the sound of ours. Be it a quiet or loud unit, I've come to realize that the need to be sensitive to, and take into account, the impact of our generator on our fellow campers.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Speculate and wonder all you want, but I spent the whole summer walking our campground at Glacier, forced to listen to generators. The most consistently quiet generators were always either Honda or Yamaha brand.

Speaking of waveform: along with a horrendous amount of noise, contractor generators produce terrible waveform results. So, my revenge against their racket comes from thinking about all the electronic damage they must be doing to their gear (air conditioners, TV's, computers, etc.) over time. <sigh>
Sorry your ears are so sensitive...I know some of the campgrounds in Glacier have areas where generators are not allowed at all...have you considered getting a set of headphones and listening to music while your on your rounds?

I have tinnitus from working around jets, so my ears are always ringing anyway. But, I do hate loud generators...my Champions are not an issue according to my neighbors I have asked many times; they have told me they did not even notice. again, all depends on location and generator.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
If you purchase a Honda 2000 for running your air conditioner, it will not start the air conditioner. The Yamaha 2400 will start and run one air conditioner on the AS, but not two air conditioners. I have the Yamaha 2400 and love the machine and it is not loud. Both the Honda 2000 and Yamaha 2400 are priced about the same. You can purchase the Yamaha on line for about $1,250 including shipping. None of these generators are light weight, but the Yamaha can be picked up by one individual (about 75 - 90 pounds would be my guess).
Not sure the Yamaha 2400 will start/run the 1500AC without the Easystart; anyone have experience with this? I was able to get the new Honda 2200 to start my 13500 earlier this summer in a test I did, using his Honda, but it is recommended to get the Easystart for the smaller generator. It did start the 1500 AC also, but it struggled when I cycled it, at 6K foot altitude...so I ended the test.

I know my Champion 3400 DualFuel works for both the 1350AC and 1500AC, and it is about $1000; weight around 95lbs also.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
Sorry, this is apples to oranges. The Yamaha 2400 is not the same class of machine as a Honda 2000 (now 2200). The Honda's are under 50lbs. the Yamaha is far closer to a 3000 class machine in weight and size.

If one has a truck, and/or doesn't mind slogging a larger generator around, a middleweight class genny like the Yamaha 2400 or a heavyweight 3000 class genny might be the ticket.

In the lightweight 2000 class machines, there's only one that stands alone, and can punch above its weight class in capability (i.e. A/C). Ask Matteo at Microair and sells the EasyStart. There is only one 2000 class, sub 50lb genny he'll recommend for reliable A/C operation. They have tried many many others, but none have proven to be fully adequate. If one looks into engine size, the reasons will be obvious. The eu2200i is sandbagging as a lightweight, but uses a 121cc engine which is 10-20% larger in displacement than any other.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Sorry, this is apples to oranges. The Yamaha 2400 is not the same class of machine as a Honda 2000 (now 2200). The Honda's are under 50lbs. the Yamaha is far closer to a 3000 class machine in weight and size.

If one has a truck, and/or doesn't mind slogging a larger generator around, a middleweight class genny like the Yamaha 2400 or a heavyweight 3000 class genny might be the ticket.

In the lightweight 2000 class machines, there's only one that stands alone, and can punch above its weight class in capability (i.e. A/C). Ask Matteo at Microair and sells the EasyStart. There is only one 2000 class, sub 50lb genny he'll recommend for reliable A/C operation. They have tried many many others, but none have proven to be fully adequate. If one looks into engine size, the reasons will be obvious. The eu2200i is sandbagging as a lightweight, but uses a 121cc engine which is 10-20% larger in displacement than any other.
Ptek- which one are you referring to above? Matteo told me Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000 both worked with the Easystart. As for stand alone without the Easystart, I agree your likely looking at either 2 of the smaller 2000 class machines at 45# each or a 90-95# 2400+ watt unit like the Yamaha, Honda, Champion DuelFuel, or other larger unit. If price is the concern, the Champion DuelFuel is the better choice for saving $$, IMHO...
Old 11-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Ptek- which one are you referring to above? Matteo told me Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000 both worked with the Easystart. As for stand alone without the Easystart, I agree your likely looking at either 2 of the smaller 2000 class machines at 45# each or a 90-95# 2400+ watt unit like the Yamaha, Honda, Champion DuelFuel, or other larger unit. If price is the concern, the Champion DuelFuel is the better choice for saving $$, IMHO...
It's a matter of power margin. I personally would only recommend the newer Honda eu2200i, that has replaced the old Honda eu2000i. Even the older Honda eu2000i was somewhat marginal with an A/C. It can do it, but not in all cases. My 13.5k A/C with EasyStart was marginal with my eu2000i. I suspect this to be the case with the Yamaha 2000 also. There is a newer Westinghouse iGen2500 that can do the job too, but not consistently with enough margin on a a larger 15k BTU A/C.

Which bring us full circle: Honda eu2200i!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #33
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
As another possible consideration people will pay TOP dollar for a used Honda EU 2000i .... Ive seen them sell for way over asking as buyers bid up the price.
Always nice if you decide to upgrade down the road.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
^ Great point. When I had problems with enough power margin on my older eu2000i's, both of them, I was able to easily sell them on Craigslist for $700 each. And buy a new eu2200i on sale for $950 no tax free shipping.

That speaks volumes to the long term quality of the Honda.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:

I beg to differ. My Predator 3500 is distinctly quieter than my Honda 2000 companion both in economy and full throttle modes. Both are much quieter than contractor generators and both are quieter if they are sitting on the ground running vs sitting in my pick up bed running for obvious reasons.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #36
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One of the things that often gets overlooked on a generator is the sort of waveform it puts out. Proper 120V AC should be a nice smooth sine wave. That's what pretty much everything expects to see.

Bob
Interesting uncle_bob. Do you happen to know which inverter generators in the 2000-3000W range output pure sine wave power?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a non pure sine wave inverter generator anymore. All the inverter ones are pure sine wave. As opposed to contractor non-inverter types which may be either.

That said, the OP is asking about 2000 class gennies! Not the heavyweight ones.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Guys, thank you all for your advice and help......I use a generator when boondocking, mainly to run everything in the our 34'er, EXCEPT, the air conditioner. We travel most in the northern states in the summer, and we aren't air conditioner addicts, so I think either the Champion, or Predator will do the job for us.
I realize the quality of both Honda, and Yamaha, and I've used both to power repeater radio transmitters when working on remote project before I retired.

Today, however, I've finally retired, and for the amount of time we will use one, I think the lower cost products will fill our need.....

Thanks again!

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #39
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been running a Yamaha 3000 iseb for 13 seasons without and with an EastStart. On several occasions I have gone year without running the genny. Not good, just forgetful. I have had no problem, but I attribute that to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and pre-lubing before turning on the gas. I keep it in my truck bed with the exhaust pointed at the trailer. If I built a heat shield I could run it with the tailgate closed. I don't notice the noise because it runs in eco most of the time. But, even with eco off it does not seem loud. It runs nice and smooth on propane from the trailer. On the EastStarts the A/Cs are much quieter and don't clunk when starting or shutting down. They condition the line AC on shore power as well. I have not tried running both A/Cs on the genny, but they use 13 amps each on run. The genny boost and lithium system should produce enough extra power for stating both A/Cs. I just haven't needed to use them both. I am impressed with the Yamaha reliability over the years. US Carburation did the propane mod. I think it is called the Snorkel now.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Not just the quality of Honda and Yamaha. The noise, the noise, it matters. Don’t cheap out and be that hated guy with the noisy genny.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote