Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

..... don't even *think* about an F-250 with the 4x4 package on it if you think your 2500 is a bit high off the ground

Indeed the height of the truck bed *is* an issue with doing this. I dread the next time I'm in a campsite that slopes the "wrong" way and adds another 6" to the reach. I'm only 6' 4". These trucks are designed for somebody who's a lot taller than I am

Bob
What are you talking about, UB? Don't you have the tailgate step Ford offers? I had this on my F150 and now on my F250; both 4x4's. Works very nice with the hand hold bar.

The new GM MultiPro step they have looks pretty interesting, but not enough data yet from users if the multiple electronic switches it uses to open in different positions are going to be an issue, plus it does not have a hand hold rail/bar...my 2 cents. I know the Ford step is pretty straight forward...push the mechanical latch on the top, pull out the step and pull out the pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail gate step.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	347246  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #222
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Can some give a real example of propane usage for the Preditor? One post says that 100 hours equal 20 refills of a 20-pound bottle which works out to be about 5 hours per bottle. Another post says he gets 10 to 12 hours from one 20 pound bottle. I know it depends on load but 5 hours to me is totally unacceptable but 10 hours running AC would be acceptable.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #223
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
What are you talking about, UB? Don't you have the tailgate step Ford offers? I had this on my F150 and now on my F250; both 4x4's. Works very nice with the hand hold bar.

The new GM MultiPro step they have looks pretty interesting, but not enough data yet from users if the multiple electronic switches it uses to open in different positions are going to be an issue, plus it does not have a hand hold rail/bar...my 2 cents. I know the Ford step is pretty straight forward...push the mechanical latch on the top, pull out the step and pull out the pole.
Hi

Yup, I have a step just like that. One try at using it and never again. It's not designed for "full sized" people Even more so if you happen to be trying to carry something while using it.

If I need to get in the truck, I just do it the old fashioned way. So far I have not snapped the tailgate off the truck while hopping aboard

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Yup, I have a step just like that. One try at using it and never again. It's not designed for "full sized" people Even more so if you happen to be trying to carry something while using it.

If I need to get in the truck, I just do it the old fashioned way. So far I have not snapped the tailgate off the truck while hopping aboard

Bob
Understand...I can still get up on it pretty easily assuming it's parked pretty level..I can throw a kayak on my shoulder and climb up to load in the bed on my rack or typically for loading/unloading, I use the tailgate to stage my stuff and climb up/down as needed. Full sized folks, which I am border line, may be more of a task. The escalator option isn't there yet!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #225
2 Rivet Member

Great Thread ... one final question.

I would like to purchase a Champion 3400 Dual. As of today - anyone have the best site/place to purchase? I have a 25ft AS Classic pulled by a 7.3 2002 Ford F250. Again, much appreciated all this information!
umasslax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #226
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
1992 21' Sovereign
2000 30' Excella
2001 31' Land Yacht
Valley Park , Missouri
Champion 100263 3400w Dual Fuel Generator

I purchased mine on Amazon. Currently, it's $1080.
If you aren't in a hurry, watch for sales. However, other than Costco, I haven't really seen the price change very much.
airstreambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #227

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

Watch for sales at Newegg.com I bought Champion 3400 dual fuel for less than $750 tax and shipping included. New not remanufactured.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Yes, keep an eye on Newegg. I paid $684 delivered back in November.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
3400 Dual Fuel update-- AC start issue

We have been camped for a week now in West Glacier area by Hungry Horse Little Johnny Point camp ground. (beautiful, by the way)….anyway, it has been hot (98) in the afternoons, but nice 50's-60's after 9pm...I fired up the Dual Fuel Champion with the new 20' hose connected to 20# portable bottle propane; each time I tried my AC, the fan would come on with a little "pull" on either the (1500 or 13500) and fault switch on the generator tripped! Restarted but happened 3 times, not sure what is going on. I did get the 13500 goin on 4rth try....next day, same thing happened..but 3rd try it came on this time. Did not try/need the 1500 since just cooling down a bit for an hour or so.

I do not have the Easystart, as I was advised by Easystart techs (Mateo) last year I would not need the Easystart with this generator. Mind you, last year, no issues at all. running either of the AC's. Anyone else out there have any problems with their 3400 Dual Fuel? It was hot, and but I was only at 3500 ft.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

You do lose a bit of power on propane, and altitude is not helping. Try running the fan only, then start the cooling compressor. Sounds like the generator is having trouble with the higher startup surge due to the heat.

When it cuts out like that, are you waiting 3-5 minutes for the ‘head pressure’ in the compressor to equalize before you try again? That also helps reduce the surge.

Also make sure all your other 120 volt electrical loads are off, including the fridge which should be on propane only, water heater also on propane only, and batteries should be fully charged to avoid excess 120 volt load by the converter.

If your propane tanks are low or regulator is set a bit low you could have trouble getting enough propane to the generator as a distant issue.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #231
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you have the fridge set to "propane only?" (or otherwise disconnected from the AC side of things?). It and the converter / charger will both put a bit of a load on the generator and are pretty easy to miss. Most of the time - not a problem. If you are "on the edge" then they are worth checking.

Bob
Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #232
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone. Truly appreciate your feedback around my purchase of a 3400 Dual Fuel generator. Going to purchase this weekend - any additional items I need to order on top of the generator? I have several propane tanks sitting in the garage. You guys have been a huge help around this purchase!
umasslax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #233
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by umasslax View Post
Thanks everyone. Truly appreciate your feedback around my purchase of a 3400 Dual Fuel generator. Going to purchase this weekend - any additional items I need to order on top of the generator? I have several propane tanks sitting in the garage. You guys have been a huge help around this purchase!
Hi

Milk crate(s) to stuff the propane in when it's in the back of the truck is something I did not have in stock. You will need some very normal / get it at any store oil. Past that it is all very specific to what you wish to do.

One debate that has been going on pretty much forever and ever:

Do you leave the generator "as is" until the first time you actually need it?

I must admit this seemed like a really nutty question the first time somebody brought it up. My response was - of course you fire it up as soon as you get it !!! Their point was that most generators sit for a *long* time unused. I came around to the other side of the question. I now have more than one generator that is still in it's "as shipped" condition a couple years after I bought it.

Bob
Old 08-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #234
Rivet Master

Corona , California

My Champion Dual fuel has oil in it, a battery maintainer connected to it, and I have cranked it occasionally to distribute the oil I added. No gasoline in the tank. Plan is to run it only on propane.

Hasn’t been run quite yet, maybe this weekend. Plan to leave on a long trip and that will be part of the pre-trip checking and testing...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the suggestions from Rich and UB (Uncle Bob)! I had refer on propane, nothing else running. I did not wait the 5 min before trying again first couple tries...but yes, I did let it sit for about 15 min before last try, while I checked to make sure the 20' hose wasn't putting undue pressure on the QD into the Champion "manifold/carburetor", and also found the choke not fully pushed in. It started right up after that, first time few days ago. Yesterday, did not see your reply, so went thru a few tries, and then it caught....only running about an hour last evening, so yes UB, likely not enough time to fully charge the 6V Trojans...although they read 12.5V on the meter. This morning weather got a bit cooler and overcast, so no need for AC. Right now sipping "huckleberry smash's" in the AS with rain starting up here in West Glacier...think it's time to head back to Lincoln in the AM.

I may go for the Easystart on the 1500AC when in Jackson in Oct..just as a precaution to make it easier on the Champion in hot weather...Curious that I hadn't had any issues even at 7-8K altitude last summer up in Mt. Raineer and Banff; started right away, but didn't need to run long and of course, cool nights so no AC needed...

Thanks again, guys!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #236
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Uh, wait. Are you feeding the generator through the Champion-supplied larger diameter “low pressure regulator” that you adapted to connect directly to the hose from your Airstream quick connector? And that larger regulator is connected with its Champion-supplied short hose to the generator propane QD fitting?

Just wanted to be sure it’s hooked up right. Using that regulator has everything to do with running the engine correctly. The generator won’t run reliably without that one in the mix.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #237
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Check Camping World/Gander Outdoors. They have a sale on this weekend. Honda and Champion generators were on sale. Was looking for 3500 Dual Fuel. Pice on it was not a bargain. Others were on sale.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Uh, wait. Are you feeding the generator through the Champion-supplied larger diameter “low pressure regulator” that you adapted to connect directly to the hose from your Airstream quick connector? And that larger regulator is connected with its Champion-supplied short hose to the generator propane QD fitting?

Just wanted to be sure it’s hooked up right. Using that regulator has everything to do with running the engine correctly. The generator won’t run reliably without that one in the mix.
understand; no I am using the portable 20# bottle (in the milk crate, UB!) I had the regulator modified by adding a male QD directly so I can then plug the longer 20' hose into it and use either the AS LP outlet or my 20# bottle....still working thru the AS connection, as it needs the choke partially out to stay running when I connect up so not running smoothly with AS LP yet. Not sure the issue.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #239
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Using the QD on the Airstream will not deliver enough flow or pressure to the small Champion high pressure regulator. There is a fix (or three).

Search for the “which generator” thread and look at how several of us have modified the Champion regulator set to work on s bottle or on a low pressure QD port on the Airstream.

It takes bypassing the bottle regulator to make it work right off the QD port on an Airstream.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Posts #111 and #127 in this thread describe what needs to be done to make the correct propane hose, a long with my shared Amazon list, which Champion themselves actually use and send folks who inquire via email.