Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
It’s a bit awkward, but somehow my old butt can still get this thing into the bed of my RAM 2500 by myself. ETrailer has a hitch mounted hoist for $180 I’ve been considering. It breaks down fairly compactly and will hoist up to 300 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Never been able to tell if the objects are gaining weight or I’m just getting weaker...so far I can still power lift it into the bed with proper footing and concentration.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #282
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
It’s a bit awkward, but somehow my old butt can still get this thing into the bed of my RAM 2500 by myself. ETrailer has a hitch mounted hoist for $180 I’ve been considering. It breaks down fairly compactly and will hoist up to 300 pounds.
Hi

If you get hurt while the generator is on the ground at a campsite, can other folks you travel with hoist the generator? ( sitting here a bit bruised up after an accident ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:22 AM   #283
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I had not considered getting hurt, guess I'd be asking people for a hand. We are not really boondockers. We're planning some trips for next year up north of Fl and would bring the generator mainly as a back up if we make rest stops or need to make a stop where there's no power. It's really more for home back-up power but is a nice to have for the RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you get hurt while the generator is on the ground at a campsite, can other folks you travel with hoist the generator? ( sitting here a bit bruised up after an accident ....)

Bob
Old 07-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #284
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I had not considered getting hurt, guess I'd be asking people for a hand. We are not really boondockers. We're planning some trips for next year up north of Fl and would bring the generator mainly as a back up if we make rest stops or need to make a stop where there's no power. It's really more for home back-up power but is a nice to have for the RV.
Hi

In many of the places we would *use* the generator, there aren't many (if any) folks around. That is often very true when we break camp...... Not so much because we are 500 miles out on BLM land, more because we seem to prefer out of the way campgrounds.

Bob
Old 07-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #285
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I looked into the receiver mounted crane for lifting a heavy object into a truck bed. The downside, as I see it, is you need to remove the hitch, because you'll use the receiver. I guess if it's a big success you could weld a second receiver somewhere under the tailgate. It only keeps the crane from falling over.
$114. You don't need to lift the generator over the tailgate, so it can be set up in the lowest position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	399967  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
And that my friends, (crane to lift 90+lb generator) is why I sold my Champion Dual Fuel 3400 and purchased the more expensive, yet half the weight, new Honda 2200 with Genconnex Propane Conversion, with the wifi monitor and 3 year warranty! Works great and I don't need help loading/unloading...Yes, $1500, but...don't need a crane... (yet!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
With Softstart conversion on the ACs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
And that my friends, (crane to lift 90+lb generator) is why I sold my Champion Dual Fuel 3400 and purchased the more expensive, yet half the weight, new Honda 2200 with Genconnex Propane Conversion, with the wifi monitor and 3 year warranty! Works great and I don't need help loading/unloading...Yes, $1500, but...don't need a crane... (yet!)
Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
With Softstart conversion on the ACs?
Just have it on the 15000 unit. I tried them both prior to Easystart install using a friends conversion Honda 2200 prior to getting my own. The 13000 no issues; 15000 cycled on and off few times, but the generator struggled a bit, prior to Easystart install. When I sold my 3400 Champion last year and ordered the Honda 2200 from Genconnex, I fired both generators up when it arrived with no issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #289
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I looked into the receiver mounted crane for lifting a heavy object into a truck bed. The downside, as I see it, is you need to remove the hitch, because you'll use the receiver. I guess if it's a big success you could weld a second receiver somewhere under the tailgate. It only keeps the crane from falling over.
$114. You don't need to lift the generator over the tailgate, so it can be set up in the lowest position.
Hi

I have one (or at least something similar) of those sitting in the living room, still in its packaging. There *have* been one or two comments made about finding a more appropriate storage location.

Once it got here and I was confronted with its size and weight ... yikes. There's only so much room in the truck . I'm not convinced that setting it up is all that easier than playing with the generator by its self.

Bob
Old 07-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Champion 3400 dual fuel generator great deal

I’m a certified old phart. With careful foot placement and use of my legs I can move my Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator in and out of the truck bed as needed.

Admittedly I try to minimize this kind of exercise at my advanced age. It’s usually possible to lever up one end of the unit, pull it up above my knees, and work it into position in the truck.

When possible, it stays in the truck bed, I just make sure the air intake end (opposite the exhaust pipe) has free air flow, and I can reach the control panel. I have an exhaust extension made of silicone hose that I drape over a spare hitch ball because it gets really hot.

Propane is all I run. Can’t imagine trying to heft the weight of a full tank of gas and the generator.

Elsewhere on the forum I have described in excruciating detail how to connect a Champion dual fuel to the Airstream propane system. It works great if done correctly.

I did add a manual transfer switch and front power port to make it easy. I do know the generator will run properly at the end of 24 feet of propane hose. I did use 3/8 inch quick connectors and 1/2” ID hose to make sure there is enough flow.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #291
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’m a certified old phart. With careful foot placement and use of my legs I can move my Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator in and out of the truck bed as needed.

Admittedly I try to minimize this kind of exercise at my advanced age. It’s usually possible to lever up one end of the unit, pull it up above my knees, and work it into position in the truck.

When possible, it stays in the truck bed, I just make sure the air intake end (opposite the exhaust pipe) has free air flow, and I can reach the control panel. I have an exhaust extension made of silicone hose that I drape over a spare hitch ball because it gets really hot.

Propane is all I run. Can’t imagine trying to heft the weight of a full tank of gas and the generator.

Elsewhere on the forum I have described in excruciating detail how to connect a Champion dual fuel to the Airstream propane system. It works great if done correctly.

I did add a manual transfer switch and front power port to make it easy. I do know the generator will run properly at the end of 24 feet of propane hose. I did use 3/8 inch quick connectors and 1/2” ID hose to make sure there is enough flow.
Hi

Is your truck a 4x4 FX package F-250 with a tailgate 100 feet up in the air?

Bob
Old 07-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #292
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
I'm not convinced that setting it up is all that easier than playing with the generator by its self.
I'm only the messenger.
Someone was looking for a way for a single person to manhandle (not woke) a 200 pound generator in and out of a truck, and that was portable. It's made for deer hunters, and since a generator is smaller than a buck, one could cut the length of the hoist to just clear the tailgate.
At home I use this hydraulic table from HF. Raise table to tailgate, slide (more or less) the generator on/off, lower and roll away.
But it's not practical for campground use.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #293
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I just ask my wife to help me lift our generator into the truck, even though I can do it myself. It has handles on both sides. It's easy for two people to lift it. Problem solved!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #294
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I just ask my wife to help me lift our generator into the truck, even though I can do it myself. It has handles on both sides. It's easy for two people to lift it. Problem solved!
Hi

Which gets back to the earlier question: If you were injured, can *she* put it back in the truck solo?

Bob
Old 07-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #295
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Not sure. I think she probably could, but we haven't tried that before. I guess I haven't really worried about it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote