Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Can I power my 25FB with a single eu2000is

I am about to purchase a single Honda eu2000is and would like to plug it directly into my generator plug on the front of my trailer. I have 30amp service. I won't run the AC and will be careful to have everything else off if I run the microwave. I was reading up on Generator ground bonding and I am not clear on whether I need to do something to make this method work for me or if this is required only for running 2 generators. I have the automatic transfer switch and have hardwired a Progressive industries surge protector before the transfer switch. If I make a plug to go from the generator duplex receptacle to the generator input of the trailer will that work or do I have to do something else?
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Get the Companion instead of the straight 2000is. It already has a 30 amp connection, and you will only need the commercial to RV adapter. Then, if you decide later you want to get a second one, you can get the 2000is, and parallel it to run the a/c.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You don't need the 30 amp connection just use an adapter and you got 15 amp, enjoy your honda....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Get the Companion instead of the straight 2000is. It already has a 30 amp connection, and you will only need the commercial to RV adapter. Then, if you decide later you want to get a second one, you can get the 2000is, and parallel it.
For some reason Honda does nor sell the companion here in Canada but says you can parallel the regular Eu2000i. Maybe has to do with slightly different electrical codes here?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
For some reason Honda does nor sell the companion here in Canada but says you can parallel the regular Eu2000i. Maybe has to do with slightly different electrical codes here?
It may. I know Canadian Airstreams are wired slightly differently. I was suggesting it because the "official" Honda parallel kit is significantly more $$$ than the simple cable kit to use the companion with a 2000is.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
I am about to purchase a single Honda eu2000is and would like to plug it directly into my generator plug on the front of my trailer. I have 30amp service. I won't run the AC and will be careful to have everything else off if I run the microwave. I was reading up on Generator ground bonding and I am not clear on whether I need to do something to make this method work for me or if this is required only for running 2 generators. I have the automatic transfer switch and have hardwired a Progressive industries surge protector before the transfer switch. If I make a plug to go from the generator duplex receptacle to the generator input of the trailer will that work or do I have to do something else?
Per the NEC, any distinct AC power source requires a single neutral to ground (N-G) bond in the system. This bond is already in place in a residential or RV park electrical system, in any quality inverter/charger that has an internal transfer switching system, but NOT in a portable generator. The simplest way to provide the N-G bond is to use a 20 amp plug from a big box or hardware store, connect a jumper from the neutral lug to the ground lug and simple plug it in to the generator's available 120VAC 15 or 20 amp receptical.

You should also provide a solid ground connection from the generator's frame to the earth, as in a grounding rod or connection to an existing copper water pipe, but that is another topic.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Per the NEC, any distinct AC power source requires a single neutral to ground (N-G) bond in the system. This bond is already in place in a residential or RV park electrical system, in any quality inverter/charger that has an internal transfer switching system, but NOT in a portable generator. The simplest way to provide the N-G bond is to use a 20 amp plug from a big box or hardware store, connect a jumper from the neutral lug to the ground lug and simple plug it in to the generator's available 120VAC 15 or 20 amp receptical.

You should also provide a solid ground connection from the generator's frame to the earth, as in a grounding rod or connection to an existing copper water pipe, but that is another topic.
The 2000 series, and probably all the Hondas, have a screw-down connection for a ground wire. It is designated by the arrow/squiggly line icon signifying a ground.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Thanks Lewster, I already have a 30A-125V female plug to connect to the trailer and a heavy duty moulded 20A plug and 10' cord (removed from an new air compressor) that I was planning on using. Will it still work the same way if I made the bond in the 30A plug? The 30A plug has the ability to have 2 wires under each screw plate for a secure contact. That leaves me the extra outlet on the Honda eu2000i for something else or is it only possible to do the bond at the generator outlet directly.
ps I read many of your comments on this website and appreciate your dedication to helping us.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Progressive Industries sells a generator bonding plug if you are uncomfortable making one yourself. You can make one much cheaper than this yourself, but this takes the guesswork out of it: http://www.progressiveindustries.net...tor-plug/c1mwy
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
As to your original question: Your 2000i will cheerfully power everything in your trailer without breaking much of a sweat. However, do not plan on running the microwave while using your hair dryer...

While rated at 2000 watts, it actually delivers 1600 watts continuously which is a skosh less than 14 amps..

Enjoy!

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
Progressive Industries sells a generator bonding plug if you are uncomfortable making one yourself. You can make one much cheaper than this yourself, but this takes the guesswork out of it: http://www.progressiveindustries.net...tor-plug/c1mwy
Thank you. I can make one easily but my latest question is; Is it best to have it bonded right at the generator (with that bonded plug) or can l bond it - in the cord to the trailer, I am making up. Since no one seems to have done it that way I thought I would verify so I don't have any problems with this new setup for me. I know the plug right on the generator is easiest but if I can have an extra outlet available on the generator it could be handy.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Or you can just buy the Industrial EU2000 that has a ground fault receptacles.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
So are we saying that in order to use an inverter generator we NEED to use this bonded plug, if we are plugging directly into the trailer? I've never heard of this before. I always just plug in without one.
What could happen? Not sure if I understand
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
yes, ineteresting
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
Although we have the Honda 2000 eu combo we mostly use one and find it adequate. It is a balancing act. The 30 amp plug connects directly to the trailer using a heavy electrical cable to avoid the voltage drop. Be careful about the automatic electrical distribution in the trailer. The 2000 does the coffee pot, hair dryer, micro wave, electric water heater one at a time. We also use an electric induction cooker for the pots either in or out.
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Tripppin: The comment from n2916s above is worth noting. The EU2000 is described by Honda as intended for 1,600 watts continuous output. At 120v, that's 13.3 amps. You should have access to the amperage ratings of the major appliances and systems in your trailer. You've said you won't run the AC, so that removes the single biggest load. If you have a Sharp convection microwave like the one that came in our trailer, it draws 12.5 amps. The next biggest load for me is the aftermarket Progressive Dynamics converter/charger draws up to 7.9 amps (the original converter was rated lower, but I can't remember by how much). Generally it draws less, but that is the maximum.

That doesn't include things like fans, TVs, computer chargers, crock pots, etc. which all add up.

I routinely run on just one of the two Honda's 2000s that I carry (living in the south, I want and use AC on generators from time to time... hence the two unit package in my truck bed) including to run the microwave. However, I keep a close eye and ear on the noises of the generator and the microwave (it looks and sounds "off" if it is starved for voltage... heed those warnings if you detect that and turn off the microwave).
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When dry camping, I usually wait until I want to run the coffee maker or the microwave before I start my Honda 2000. First thing in the morning I found that the microwave, a new Panosonic, was struggling. I found that the smart converter, installed by the previous owner, was drawing up to 600w in the morning after an evening of lights and maybe a little TV. That was not leaving enough for the microwave, so I installed a switch to turn the converter off before I run the microwave. All is well.

I used my Kill-A-Watt meter to determine the usage.

You might want to think about that.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrez View Post
So are we saying that in order to use an inverter generator we NEED to use this bonded plug, if we are plugging directly into the trailer? I've never heard of this before. I always just plug in without one.
What could happen? Not sure if I understand
That's the way I do it, plug in and play, no problem...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am not sure anyone is answering the basic question. I believe that if you try to use a sophisticated surge protector with a generator that is not bonded the suppressor will not allow power flow. You should be able to just plug the generator in to a "naked" trailer and it will work. I have also read that there is a possibility of a gfi tripping without the plug, but that does not seem to be reported here.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
TRIPPING; you mentioned you have a Progessive Dynamics surge suppressor inline with your future 2000i. If your PD surge suppressor test the line for correct grounding you can have a problem. I have a PD management system, not hardwired, and I can not run any of my Honda inverters (Yamaha same issue) with the PD unit. The warning was BOLD in my PD manual. I contacted PD directly and they say inverters have a floating ground and systems that test for correct ground will fail the test. Thus take the inverter offline. Check your manual and better yet call PD customer support. They are very helpful. PD said under some conditions damage can occur. Call them!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote