Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: if I'm going to be parked for a year and plugged in do I need a battery
yes you can go without battery 2 22.22%
yes you can sidestep univolt 1 11.11%
no you must have both 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ompah , Ontario
If I dont need a battery power can dispense with univolt? can I dispense

I'm making a 4 hour drive with new brakes . Heard lots of stories about batteries being burned for various reasons . Do I really need a batery for towing or once I'm plugged in in new location?

Right now trying to decide between the iota 55 and progressive dynamic 9260. Any suggestions appreciated.Peter
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
You need a battery when you are towing so the breakaway switch will have power to turn on the brakes in case the trailer becomes seperated from the tow vehicle.

Most battery charger/converters are much happier when there is the load of a battery on them and the power out is much cleaner. It would be good to check with the maker of whatever converter you select about running it with out a battery.
You need some kind of 12 volt source because that is the voltage most of the trailer operates on
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Unless a PO has done some serious rewiring, then everything except the 110 V outlets (and airconditioner) are powered by 12V (ie., refrigerator controls if equipped, lights, fans, sound systems, thermostats, tank monitors, furnace, etc.) The old univolt needs to have a battery in the system, or it won't last long. This may not be true of some modern converters. But, as mentioned above, you need a 12V battery on board to power your brakes in the event of a break-away situation.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Yes, you need a battery for towing. Without it, your breakaway switch will not activate your trailer brakes; once the umbilical comes loose, you'd have nothing. Disabling required safety equipment by towing with no battery is not a good idea.

I'll decline to answer the question of whether you need a battery if you'll be plugged in for a year. Others will be better able to answer that.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I agree with Belegedhel, you will most likely need the battery. You can mount a small battery just for the brakes, however the bulk of the lights and such in your trailer are 12 volt powered. I have seen some that were converted completely to 120v but they are the exception rather than the rule and still require a battery for the emergency braking system. No real opinion on which inverter, I like the specs on the Progressive a bit better than the ones on the Iota but that is me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I'll say yes to removing the univolt/charger, but no to removing the battery totally.

Our Trillium doesn't have a coach battery, and no electric brakes. All interior lights etc run on 120v, makes it a poor choice for boondocking but it doesn't have a water pump either

My car trailer has a small battery mounted on the tongue to activate the brakes in case of a breakaway, its smaller than the battery in my lawn tractor and charges off of the tow vehicle only, no converter.

If you don't need 12v interior power you don't need a converter, but since you have electric brakes you must have a battery.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You need both, but not at the same time

I'll go with the majority. You need both, although perhaps not at the same time. You need a battery for towing to operate the brakes if the trailer should separate from the tow vehicle. You don't need a converter while towing. You need a converter while parked as others have said. I just yesterday finished the installation of a pd9260 in my 2001 Safari 25. The manual says it is designed for use with a battery but a battery is not required as the output power is regulated and filtered and can be used with sensitive electronics without a battery or other filtering.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you really need a battery in the trailer to tow legally in many states.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote