Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Replacement over the counter light ???

I am thinking about replacing the twin bulp unit that is directly over the sink / counter in the kitchen area. I've had the trailer 3 years and the light has worked flawlessly all this time. Just the other day I went to try it and it didn't come on. I checked the bulbs ( 1156 I think) and they were good. I jiggled the switch and eventually it came on but it came on weak and brightened up in a second or two. I was on batteries and they were not great and I had just plugged in the trailer. Can't figure what's up with this light. I'm fine with it if I can get it to work. In fact I had just bought LED replacements for the 1156's but have not tried them yet. I was just wondering where the best place is to find a replacement for this light unit if I decide to go that route.

Thanks all for any input.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Could just be dirty contacts or a worn out switch. I'd check for these defects. Dirty contacts can be cleaned with contact cleaner or WD40 (oily and messy, but effective). However, check label to see if it will damage plastic or whatever the light fixture is made of. A switch is only a buck or two from RadioShack or other electronics store.

New replacement light fixtures are available from RV or marine parts stores. Check out Camping World or West Marine. Lots of other suppliers are online, and you should be able to find an exact replacement or something really close.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks. I had planned to do some troubleshooting and fix it if I can. Last resort is to replace and that's what brought about the question posted. I appreciate your input and will check those out if my troubleshooting efforts fail.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote