Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
'64 Overlander brake and turn signal issues

So my 64 overlander has one brake and turn signal light that refuses to work! I've removed the fixture, cleaned it, checked the bulb, replaced the bulb, removed the interior alum panel under the back window to verify wire integrity everything checks out...but still the light refuses to work...the running light works! The other rear fixture works...I'm at a loss! Any ideas??? Also where is the wiring harness for the trailer plug to the tow vehicle??? Help help help!!! Thanks
57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check to see if you have voltage at the socket. You didn't say which side it is on. Red = left turn, Brown = right turn. If no power at the socket, remove the fixture and check for power on the wire.
Have you tested it with any other power source than your TV? If not, try using a battery charger to verify the problem is in the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
64 Overlander brake and turn signal issues

Greetings 57BB!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlanders!

The junction box for your coach's umbilical cord wiring should be in the front curbside corner of the bellypan. You can identify the junction box by an access hatch screwed or riveted to the bellypany. You are likely to find that all of the coach's wires are the same color . . . I believe they were all red in my Overlander (it has been a few years since I had this junction box opened). I would also mention that your Overlander's Bargman Connector may not be wired to the standard utilized by today's tow vehicles. The Bargman connector on my Overlander had to be rewired before I was able to tow it home in 1995.

I have run into a similar issue with my Overlander. The item that was causing the problem on my coach was the ground. The solution was to remove the tail light's base and clean both the trailer's skin and the back of the light's base. Reinstalled the base with Vulkem sealant and stainless steel sheetmetal screws. The problem was cured, but it has reappeared about every third year.

Good luck in solving your wiring issue!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Thanks Kevin. It seems that someone must have covered this access panel up or for whatever reason there isn't one on this particular trailer...but at least now I know the general location of the harness...so that is where i'll look.

I did exactly what you suggested with the original back plate cleaning etc. I even got ahold of another back plate in better condition and tried it. Still no luck in getting this thing to work. But, since the red wire is the likely culprit I am hopeful that finding the harness will reveal a short. If that doesn't work then I'll have to rewire that fixture since I know the fixture itself is really not the problem. The whole issue of ground is strange since there is clearly power going to the light socket and is certainly got a good connection to the trailer skin...so what else it could be I'm really unsure of...

Thanks again for the suggestions! I will keep the forum posted on how this resolves for others who find themselves with this problem

Michael
57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It helped a ton when I took that panel off on my 66 and cleaned all the wiring up. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner all over, checked the connections and all is well.
Having good grounds makes a difference.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote