Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You'll have to think carefully about where to put this toilet, to make sure that your trailer is balanced on the other side against that 100lb. of tank and water. If the tank is sealed, that's good. However, as others have pointed out, RV toilets use a couple cups of water to flush. Even "solids" flush with very little water. If you're going to have a permanent place for the trailer and it'll never be towed, it's definitely doable especially with water and sewer connections. However, for a towed trailer, I don't think it's especially practical. You might want to hook up with some other trailer owners and talk about it, look at their set ups, maybe even flush their toilets.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Alan and Carol: Having read them, install a shut off valve to tank input line. Open and fill tank as a line item to your set up checklist. Do not flush toilet after each urine addition, just add a splash of "stink pretty". When not hooked to sewer line. as per campground, line the toilet with 13 gallon trash bag and lessen use of black tank and fresh water tank. I use a toddler diaper in mine and hope nobody asks to see the baby.

BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1998 34' Limited
Buford , Georgia
I appreciate your thinking creatively, but as I previously indicated, I don't think you gain any floor space with the toto. Certainly not enough to justify the extra weight or the potential messes and extra water demands. In a home, great idea.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1979 31' Excella 500
Salt Lake City , Utah
Send a message via Skype™ to AlanAndCarol
I've been enlightened! I think we'll be using this toilet instead:

Thanks for setting me straight.
AlanAndCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1998 34' Limited
Buford , Georgia
You didn't need to be "set straight. " composting toilets have been used by many with success. Good luck with installation. First and foremost, have fun!
One other piece of advice. Try to keep connections for standard toilet in place, in case you sell it and your buyer wants it changed back. You should be able to remove the flange from black tank and screw a plug into it. Feel free to pm if you like. I have done it before.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Alan andCarol. We have been traveling in an RV of some sort since 1973. This Airstream is our 10th RV and probably a keeper. We would not, under any circumstances, purchase a trailer with either the hanging tank set up or composting toilet. We had an expensive composting toilet in a barn in Arizona and, while it worked, it wasn't very satisfactory. We kept having to add water to get things to break down. An RV toilet with black tank is very easy and doesn't smell if used properly but they do need a lot of water put into the black tank via toilet to keep things from getting gunked up. Two of us can go two weeks without dumping, probably longer. But, as others have said, it is your trailer and you should do what you want to do--you can always change it if you leave what plumbing you have in place.

horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote