Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yet another Vinyl wall question

Just curious if anybody has actually removed the vinyl from the interior walls of their ‘70’s vintage Airstream? I’ve read several ideas and theories on how to do it, but I haven’t actually seen anybody post that they were successful in doing so.

I’m considering removing all of the vinyl and painting the interior, but I have no idea how difficult it will be to remove that ancient, nasty, smelly vinyl wall covering.

Thanks for the advice!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
One of the MoHo guys tried it and it wasn't worth the time and effort. I messed around with a scrap piece just as a curiosity and that stuff is stuck on there but good. I tried MEK, paint stripper, acetone and bad natured alcohol. The paint stripper softened it but it was still stuck pretty good. I would either clean it very well and paint it, or put up new aluminum sheets and paint them, or buy aluminum sheets with the paint already on them in a color you like.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
So far I have been pretty happy with the paint job I put on top of my old vinyl. I did clean it thoroughly before adding BIN shelac based primer and a couple of coats of a high quality interior latex paint. The texture of the old vinyl skin is all that shows of the old vinyl.

Malcolm
Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
That's our project for this weekend, painting the interior of the Argosy!

We're using Glidden Gripper primer and Glidden Evermore semi-gloss interior latex for the whole project. Goodbye stained walls and yellowed endcaps...

While we were at Home Despot, we picked up 4 boxed of TrafficMaster Allure in Oak for the floors. I can't wait to get the carpet out! We'll be putting a layer of 1/4" birch plywood over the stock plywood floor (nothing like a clean surface to work with) which will help make up for the difference in thickness. I'll post pix (eventually). We have to get this thing ready to rock 'n roll by the time we go to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving.

The shower pan, shower control console, and sink should be back from Dr. Gelcoat in about a week, all clean and white! (they are fixing the cracks in the shower pan too)

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
C. L. "Charlie" Boyd

1976 31' Sovereign
LAKELAND , Florida
Recently we removed the wallpaper from some of the interior walls of our 1976 Sovereign. These were the divider walls between the kitchen and bathroom and the bathroom and bedroom (our Sovereign has the center bath). The walls underneath appeared to be luan panels. Fortunately, sitting in the hot summer sun in Florida for 10 years had loosened most of the wallpaper, so we were able to strip it off in pieces (a messy job), which uncovered the adhesive clinging to the walls. 3 coats of Goo Gone Gel adhesive stripper and a plastic scraper removed almost all of the adhesive; the rest we sanded off, then we used patching plaster to fill in any imperfections in the wall surface, followed by a smooth sanding, then a coat of primer, and finally two coats of high-gloss almond cabinet enamel (by luck, the color is a very close match for the painted trim on some of the cabinetry and coodinates very well with the interior shell color). We like the new finish so much that we may not repaper as originally planned.

Charlie

C. L. Boyd
Lakeland, FL
clboyd0722@earthlink.net
clboyd is offline   Reply With Quote